GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,872
1 members and 1,871 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal Recruitment Advice Needed for a Girl Trying Again

Hi all,

I am transfer student to a smaller University and am starting my Senior year. I am here for some seriously honest words.

Last semester I decided to go through recruitment. I was COMPLETELY unprepared. I showed up to tabling right before having to sprint to class looking like a total mess. I did not make many friends during the info night but I went into the formal recruitment anyways. I loved my Rhos, my group of PNMs all got along, but after the first day all the chapters cut me.

Now, although I was heartbroken at the time, this is not a post about "what did I do wrong?"

1. I had a low GPA at a 2.39. Although this was due to mistakes far in my past, it meant I didn't meet the GPA requirement.
2. When I reflected on my appearance later, I looked like a MESS! I wore ratty old converse instead of my cute sandals for comfort, I wore a tank top that was not flattering, and I wore jeans that weren't great. Although my hair was fine, my makeup was a bit too heavy handed, and I had made the choice not to get my nails done. Yikes.
3. I sounded super boring. When asked about my summer I think I either said I didn't really do much or talked about my vacation with my boyfriend. During the whirl wind I forgot I had gone to the lake and done paddleboard yoga and that I had gone hiking all over the place. I also didn't expand on a lot of my answers and rarely asked my own questions.
4. Lastly I brought up my GPA and was not sure why I really wanted to be in a particular sorority.

So, after picking myself up and thinking about this all I made changes. I found my reason for wanting to be in my top three sororities. I practiced my small talk.I overhauled my wardrobe and got out of my funk. I boosted my GPA to a 2.58. I met around 8 or 9 sisters in my classes and became decent acquaintances with them.

My questions are:
1. Should I rush?
2. For informal recruitment, how do you decide which sorority to go to? Or can you skip some of the events to attend another sororities?
3. If during tabling I accidentally mentioned I had rushed in Formal but didn't say how it ended or if it was bad or any specifics, but then heard the girls say my name and mention that I said that, is that bad?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks all and sorry for writing so much!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtimerush View Post
Hi all,

I am transfer student to a smaller University and am starting my Senior year. I am here for some seriously honest words.

Last semester I decided to go through recruitment. I was COMPLETELY unprepared. I showed up to tabling right before having to sprint to class looking like a total mess. I did not make many friends during the info night but I went into the formal recruitment anyways. I loved my Rhos, my group of PNMs all got along, but after the first day all the chapters cut me.

Now, although I was heartbroken at the time, this is not a post about "what did I do wrong?"

1. I had a low GPA at a 2.39. Although this was due to mistakes far in my past, it meant I didn't meet the GPA requirement.
2. When I reflected on my appearance later, I looked like a MESS! I wore ratty old converse instead of my cute sandals for comfort, I wore a tank top that was not flattering, and I wore jeans that weren't great. Although my hair was fine, my makeup was a bit too heavy handed, and I had made the choice not to get my nails done. Yikes.
3. I sounded super boring. When asked about my summer I think I either said I didn't really do much or talked about my vacation with my boyfriend. During the whirl wind I forgot I had gone to the lake and done paddleboard yoga and that I had gone hiking all over the place. I also didn't expand on a lot of my answers and rarely asked my own questions.
4. Lastly I brought up my GPA and was not sure why I really wanted to be in a particular sorority.

So, after picking myself up and thinking about this all I made changes. I found my reason for wanting to be in my top three sororities. I practiced my small talk.I overhauled my wardrobe and got out of my funk. I boosted my GPA to a 2.58. I met around 8 or 9 sisters in my classes and became decent acquaintances with them.

My questions are:
1. Should I rush?
2. For informal recruitment, how do you decide which sorority to go to? Or can you skip some of the events to attend another sororities?
3. If during tabling I accidentally mentioned I had rushed in Formal but didn't say how it ended or if it was bad or any specifics, but then heard the girls say my name and mention that I said that, is that bad?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks all and sorry for writing so much!

QFP
Old 01-29-2019, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the GPA requirement for your campus? Keep in mind that although the campus minimum might be 2.5 or 2.8, each individual sorority may have a higher GPA requirement than that.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The Panhellenic requirement is a 2.5. I'm not sure if that is overall or just from the school. I have a 2.58 overall and a 3.32 just from the school.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

How much time before you graduate?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

For an upperclassman, especially a senior, I would venture anything below a 3.5 and they won't consider you. Seniors have a really hard time anyway. Sophomores have it a little easier because they will be there longer. Informal is different from formal. You'd need to get with Greek Life office to see how to sign up on your campus. You'll need recs too and I don't know that you have time. Not to mention that they may remember you from Fall Formal...that won't bode well. I'm just trying to be honest with you.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduate in Fall 2019 but I plan on staying for my credential which would add another year.

And yes thank you for the honesty! If I do go through again I want to have realistic expectations.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of this also depends on the campus. If it's a commuter campus with non-traditional students or lots of transfers, then the process may be much easier. If it's a more traditional, residential campus then you may experience some issues. It's really hard for anyone to know for sure without knowing the specifics, but if you go in with eyes wide open knowing it may not turn out much better than the first time, then at least you can say you tried.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes that is so true and I didn’t even think to share that info. It’s a West coast campus with mostly commuters. There is no Greek housing and from what i’ve heard (which could be people just saying what I wanna hear) the chapters are somewhat non traditional. Definitely a smaller school with only 6 panhellenic chapters.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You’ll never know if you don’t try, but I think you are facing an uphill battle as:
1) a senior
2) a grade risk - your GPA is barely above the Panhellenic minimum (I guarantee there are individual chapters with a much higher min GPA’s to pledge)
3) someone who recently rushed with a very poor outcome. Being released by all chapters after first round usually means something went very wrong. And I guarantee they will remember you given that you’re on a small campus.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtimerush View Post
I graduate in Fall 2019 but I plan on staying for my credential which would add another year.

And yes thank you for the honesty! If I do go through again I want to have realistic expectations.
I am not sure what a credential is, but only undergraduate women are allowed to be members of most NPC organizations. Once you graduate in a few months, that would move you to alumna status, no longer an active chapter member. The extra time on campus might not really matter to a collegiate chapter.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Though, understand that, if you attend where I think you attend, the minimum GPA is advertised as: "​​All chapters have GPA requirements, ranging anywhere from a minimum of 2.5-3.0. Any woman of any GPA is welcome to partake in recruitment, but if you do not meet the individual chapter's GPA requirement, you will likely not be eligible to join." Your previous GPA of 2.39 was an automatic disqualification. Your current GPA of 2.58 is still a major stumbling block.

Side note: if there is an understandable reason for why your GPA is so low (eg. death in the family, major hospitalization), then consider going to your campus' academic advising office to ask about any opportunities for grade forgiveness or a retroactive withdrawal for the effected classes or semester. It may be too late to help you for sorority recruitment but would clean up your transcript for the rest of your future.

Also, many sorority recruitment websites include a "what to wear" section. While I want people to be true to themselves, it's somewhat important for potential new members (PNMs) to pay attention to those social cues. In other words, if you wore ratty shoes and an unflattering tank top, while the other girls were dressed in sharp/smart casual, it probably didn't help you at all. If you went into the process with a half-effort, then you shouldn't be surprised at the results.

Finally, if you attend informal recruitment:

-- Put this "top three sororities" business out of your mind. Your GPA is low - you cannot afford to be picking and choosing!

-- Understand that not all sororities have to participate. So, your options may be limited and your "top three sororities" may not even be participating.

-- Attend ALL of the events you are able to attend and/or are invited to attend.

-- If two sororities are offering events at the exact same time, then you get to pick which one you want to attend.

Good luck!

True and Constant
Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your improvements!

Ask your Greek friends if their chapters are doing informal/COB. If they really like you, they may be your best resources in your quest for a bid. Be chill about it, though. You don't want them to feel like you're using them or pressuring them to go out on a limb for you, especially if you don't really know them very well. Also remember that one or two friends can't make membership decisions for a whole chapter.

As others have advised, don't feel too badly if things don't work out. You have less than a year left of your undergraduate career and your overall GPA is still barely qualifying. Even if chapters like you a lot, the decision may remain out of their hands.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am not sure what a credential is, but only undergraduate women are allowed to be members of most NPC organizations. Once you graduate in a few months, that would move you to alumna status, no longer an active chapter member. The extra time on campus might not really matter to a collegiate chapter.
Some groups allow grad students to stay in the chapter. Mine does with the appropriate paperwork.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no advice/words of wisdom, since I was in a Non-NPC sorority.

However- let this be a life lesson, especially since you're so close to graduating. When you want something, you have to put in 110% effort, especially in this world. You can't just show up half-assed and expect that to be okay. Even small interactions with potential employers- everything counts- be at your best with hair and clothing that's appropriate. And continue to work on those grades!

Good luck!