GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,403
3 members and 1,400 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Now, after all of the help, advice you have gotten over two days, I really hope your next post is one where you tell us that you followed at least one of the very specific suggestions that have been given here. Not trying to be ugly, but we have literally given you a step by step process and I don't think you have followed any of it- in the way we told you to do so.
I think this one feels like if she comes back with enough excuses then some kindly Greek Chat members will take pity on her life that's devoid of anyone Greek and provide her with recommendations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
I think this one feels like if she comes back with enough excuses then some kindly Greek Chat members will take pity on her life that's devoid of anyone Greek and provide her with recommendations.
NOT!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

If anything, the attempts to help on here should demonstrate for her that in real life sorority women are usually more than willing to help/ guide other women.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
If anything, the attempts to help on here should demonstrate for her that in real life sorority women are usually more than willing to help/ guide other women.
But we're making it toooooo haaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddd!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Can we have a rousing chorus of the Eurythmics "Sisters are doing it for themselves?"
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now, after all of the help, advice you have gotten over two days, I really hope your next post is one where you tell us that you followed at least one of the very specific suggestions that have been given here. Not trying to be ugly, but we have literally given you a step by step process and I don't think you have followed any of it- in the way we told you to do so.
Thank goodness I am not the only one feeling this way! I was just wondering if I was getting cranky

To the OP you have been given some great advice here, go forth and use it!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

When oh when will we have the opportunity to "like" or post a smiley face on posts?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

This is one of those threads that really emphasizes the differences between North and South...lol. But, given the OPs location, I agree with y'all. If she was from up here, I would think you were all nuts.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
This is one of those threads that really emphasizes the differences between North and South...lol. But, given the OPs location, I agree with y'all. If she was from up here, I would think you were all nuts.
I can see that in the North it would be seen as crazy lol..
However it is no more crazy then this girl coming to an internet forum and ask for people to get her recs.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Yeah, but...one of my chapter sisters who is now a high school teacher was recently talking about writing a rec for 'bama. How do women find her during the summer, and know she is a Phi Mu alumna? Obviously, some of them are doing the things listed here. It's not as extreme as knocking on doors, but somewhere along the way, someone had to randomly be like "hey, mrs. such-and-such, were you in a sorority?"
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Each women's fraternity/sorority has a web site. All of the sites have a "locate chapter" function. Use it to locate the nearest Alumnae Chapters near you and contact the President and/or Secretary of each one. Everyone before me on this thread is right, you are late, late, late for a very important date!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yeah, but...one of my chapter sisters who is now a high school teacher was recently talking about writing a rec for 'bama. How do women find her during the summer, and know she is a Phi Mu alumna? Obviously, some of them are doing the things listed here. It's not as extreme as knocking on doors, but somewhere along the way, someone had to randomly be like "hey, mrs. such-and-such, were you in a sorority?"
I know. But I've been an alumna member for 25 years now. I'm one who is open and talkative about my sorority involvement and I have only met 5 or 6 women in that entire time who are in other NPC groups. There are definitely geographic differences.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I know. But I've been an alumna member for 25 years now. I'm one who is open and talkative about my sorority involvement and I have only met 5 or 6 women in that entire time who are in other NPC groups. There are definitely geographic differences.
Oh, absolutely. I just meant that PNM's still have to do the leg work.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is a decent step but very passive aggressive. Call your frat friend back. Ask him for the names and numbers of the women he knows. He has had time to think. It is not that hard. Then YOU call and introduce yourself, explain you are Frat Boy's friend, and ask for help with recruitment. Offer to meet for ice crem so the women can get to know you, etc.
I agree with this, except it's just passive. There's nothing aggressive about it! The OP needs to be assertive, what with the clock ticking!

We have the Director of Career Services speak to our student teachers every semester about the job search process, and one thing she emphasizes very strongly is this (this is her direct advice, not my interpretation): network, network, network about possible openings, but do NOT rely on others/mutual friends to make the contacts. Let's say you run into someone you know who tells you, "my friend is the principal at X Elementary and they have a 4th grade opening." Don't ask the friend to put in a word for you...now you're putting the ball in the 3rd party's court and you've lost control of the situation. Instead, ask if you can use the friend's name as an icebreaker when YOU make the call, stop by the school with your resume, etc.

It's just not a priority for these friends and many will not follow through. It's not intentional; it's just not on their front burner and you're asking them to go out of their way. In this case, you're expecting your fraternity friend to make multiple contacts for you...and then get back to you? I don't see that happening, plus you'll still have to make a follow up contact on your own anyway, to get these women your packet. Time is wasting! Ask if YOU can use his name when YOU make the contact.

Plus, I'd be much more impressed by a friendly, direct contact from a young woman than by a "I'm calling for my friend" contact.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
True but she's in Arkansas..either the NW area - think WalMart home offices - or Little Rock - depending on which of her posts you pay the most attention to. A high school of 1000 students. Come on, she knows people and she only needs 10 recs. Any one of us could do that in one weekend and she's been willy-nillying around for 4 days now.