GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5

Old 12-05-2000, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Question for members...

I recently had a young lady tell me that she was initiated into the chapter here in Spring 2000 but the chapter was in a little trouble therefore they couldn't have a probate show. She said often when she tell people that she is from Spring 2000 they don't believe her because no one knows that they even had a line. My question is: Can you be initiated into a sorority without a probate show? I know she isn't lying but I'm just curious.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2000, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Simone:
My question is: Can you be initiated into a sorority without a probate show? I know she isn't lying but I'm just curious.

Thanks
IF you know she isn't lying, then why the need to ask us if she can be initiated into a sorority without a probate show. just something to think about
Old 12-05-2000, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Question

First off, the term probate show is misused, as its original meaning denoted the shows pledges used to put on during their "hell week" or some other period. Now, the term is currently used to mean a "coming out" of a group of neophytes. We here in the Midwest usually use the term "neophyte" to describe these events, as in "I'm going to the AKA neophyte on Friday..."

However, not sponsoring one of these shows is NOT, I repeat NOT an indicator of whether a line has been initiated. In fact, these are unofficial events, and have absolutely NO bearing on becoming a member.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Discogoddess:
First off, the term probate show is misused, as its original meaning denoted the shows pledges used to put on during their "hell week" or some other period.

Discogoddess,
That reminds me of an experience I had as a young girl in the 70s. My mother was the graduate advisor for a chapter back then and she took me and my older sister to a probate show. All of the frats and sororities on the campus probated at the same time. On a side note, they also all came out about the same time--the week of, or right before homecoming (wonder why ) I remember my mom being truly pissed because the pledgees messed up during their show--not because they messed up--but because she knew that she would have to be up half the night making sure big sisters behaved themselves!
Old 12-05-2000, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi SF Simone....
I believe that I am at your school as well and it DID happen. BUT, from one SF to another...don't ask too many questions, things are kinda sensitive right now!!! Email me if you like.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I just e-mailed you.

Quote:
Originally posted by onesavvydiva:
Hi SF Simone....
I believe that I am at your school as well and it DID happen. BUT, from one SF to another...don't ask too many questions, things are kinda sensitive right now!!! Email me if you like.