GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,423
0 members and 1,423 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottytoddy View Post
You said "Hail State" to me the other day! You just love bustin' chops, don't you?
LOL!

BS-Auburn
MS-Arkansas
PhD-Mississippi State
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
My biggest advice for parents (especially at these big schools):

Cuts will come. Some of your girls might get cut very heavily at some point.

Try to remember that in the end, you only get ONE BID.

So while she might be upset about having maybe only 4 or 5 chapters one day while everyone else has close to a full schedule, encourage her to keep going in the process.

In the end, all it takes is one.
And remember that not everyone else actually has a full schedule. Even if it feels like it.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Bama recruitment

Thus far there are around 1600 women signed up for recruitment...about 300 more than last year. I would think that quota would be a bit higher than last year's just based on that (as long as all show up and participate in first round).
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Please remember, mamas, to encourage your daughters to accept a bid if offered - even if it is to their last choice house. Remind them that this is their ONLY chance to go Greek at an SEC school. Only. Ever. No exceptions. What do they have to lose by going through the new member period and then deciding? Nothing...but they lose everything by giving up a bid.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
That's recruitment aid for advisors!!
A-to-the-freaking-men girl! Make mine a triple!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Please remember, mamas, to encourage your daughters to accept a bid if offered - even if it is to their last choice house. Remind them that this is their ONLY chance to go Greek at an SEC school. Only. Ever. No exceptions. What do they have to lose by going through the new member period and then deciding? Nothing...but they lose everything by giving up a bid.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Many of us SEC veterans have seen women pick up an open rush bid or get one in the spring or even rush successfully the following fall. Usually, though, the PNM has made herself notable by raising her grades or getting involved in some great activities or perhaps she's gotten to know several members of one sorority. Sometimes this bid comes from a group that has cut her before.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Many of us SEC veterans have seen women pick up an open rush bid or get one in the spring or even rush successfully the following fall. Usually, though, the PNM has made herself notable by raising her grades or getting involved in some great activities or perhaps she's gotten to know several members of one sorority. Sometimes this bid comes from a group that has cut her before.
How many times does that happen, though?

I think it's more than fair to say that the vast majority of women who drop out of recruitment never end up going Greek. There's a lot of talk about how if you aren't a freshman, be prepared for heavy cuts right off the bat.

I don't think that it's realistic for any girl to be told that declining a bid will mean she has a decent chance of getting into a chapter she really liked in the following year.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

It's definitely not rare. I don't know many SEC women who wanted to be Greek who stayed independent.

Sophomores who re-rush often do get heavily cut at first but they still may be left with 6-10 out of 18 or so and that gives a woman many more choices than to hastily accept a bid to her last choice her freshman year. I would tell a woman who absolutely knows that she doesn't want her last choice not to sign the card and then do all the things that I've listed: raise your grades, get involved in some big-name activities, get to know sorority women, especially if you're from out of state. Then see what your choices are sophomore year.

Several GC PNMs who dropped out of recruitment or who were dropped from recruitment have later contacted me to say that they proudly accepted a bid from ___ sorority later on in the year. This month, I've already heard from 2--one went Kappa at Auburn and one went DZ there. They were glad that they stepped back and signed up for open recruitment while doing some things I suggested.

ETA: sometimes a girl's friends who rushed with her (from high school, etc.) will get her into their group the second year.

Last edited by carnation; 07-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
That's recruitment aid for advisors!!
Cheers to that!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's definitely not rare. I don't know many SEC women who wanted to be Greek who stayed independent.
::raises hand::
I dropped out of recruitment after round 3 as a freshman and pledged as a sophomore to a house that had cut me after round 2 during my initial recruitment. It does happen. I would think pledging as an upperclassman is probably much more common at schools which now have a separate quota for upperclassmen.

However, if a girl goes all the way through and refuses to accept a bid, she should know that she risks going through the next year and being remembered by houses for refusing to accept a bid to ABC. Because you can be darn sure that ABC will remember and will cut her right away the next year, and if they have friends in other houses and word gets out that the girl thought she was "too good" for ABC, she'll be cut from them, too.

Last edited by dgdramadawg; 07-29-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Sophomores who re-rush often do get heavily cut at first but they still may be left with 6-10 out of 18 or so and that gives a woman many more choices than to hastily accept a bid to her last choice her freshman year. I would tell a woman who absolutely knows that she doesn't want her last choice not to sign the card and then do all the things that I've listed: raise your grades, get involved in some big-name activities, get to know sorority women, especially if you're from out of state. Then see what your choices are sophomore year.

Several GC PNMs who dropped out of recruitment or who were dropped from recruitment have later contacted me to say that they proudly accepted a bid from ___ sorority later on in the year. This month, I've already heard from 2--one went Kappa at Auburn and one went DZ there. They were glad that they stepped back and signed up for open recruitment while doing some things I suggested.

ETA: sometimes a girl's friends who rushed with her (from high school, etc.) will get her into their group the second year.
Woud you say though, that said re-rushing PNM is going to have to keep her options open?

Ex: if you aren't happy with your choices freshman year, you can't re-rush with the idea that you'll get into one of your say 3 favorites from freshman year.

I think if you want to be successful as a soph, re-rushing has to be done with the goal of being Greek at Bama (and being open to some groups that weren't on your radar last year), than specifcally re-rushing to get into your favorite chapter that dropped you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-29-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I always tell any PNM whom I counsel to keep her options open, to consider everybody, even the groups that (gasp!) no one from her high school is in. I encourage them to go to as many parties as possible and to avoid suiciding if at all possible.

However, sometimes a PNM has gamely followed this advice and still knows that she really does not want that one last choice. In that case, she shouldn't put that group on her card because she'll be bound to any group who gives her a bid for the next year. (Remember CutiePie2000's recruitment story?) If that's her choice, she should rush again later.

There's no set answer for everyone. Many girls who re-rush will find it much harder the next year. However, many do find their home through COB or upperclass rush.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Right. I promise I'm not giving you a hard time or being nitpicky.

I just wouldn't want a PNM who may be getting cut heavily (or her mom) to come here and think that rushing again is easy. Or that rush number #2 will be better than freshman year.

I guess the key is how well you improve upon whatever it is that caused you to be cut heavily the first.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-29-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, true. For most re-rushers, it'll probably take some earnest work for the next year.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the posts regarding Bama rush. I guess the worst case scenarios have all been covered, recs sent, clothes purchased, etc... Gotta think someone gets through the process and is happy at the end of the week. With the huge pledge classes, someone is getting a bid, and must be pleased.

I know a PNM from several years ago at a different SEC school went into recruitment unprepared and unwilling to follow my advice about not pre-choosing a house. Her parents had not attended college, so they were as clueless as the daughter. Guess what? Released by all but 2 houses after open house. Mom called me upset, and didn't know what had happened. I told her daughter was a grade risk and did not have enough recs. Both of these things were covered in her Recruitment manual, but the family didn't think they would apply to their daughter. ( less than 3.00 high school gpa) She did pref both remaining houses and accepted a bid. As they say on GC, it only takes 1!!