GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,013
2 members and 1,011 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demasiado View Post
And since it appears that talking about the intentions and motivation of groups that one is not a member of, gets everyone's knickers in a twist... I'll leave it at that.
Would you like me to begin telling the world why Phiota has made the decisions it has? Or would you prefer that your organization's business be handled by members of your organization?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Would you like me to begin telling the world why Phiota has made the decisions it has?
To pretend that sort of thing does not actually happen, be it in conversations or in a chat forum is naive.

I'd much rather have them out in the open, which would give me the opportunity to set the record straight. But that's me.

Since that sort of practice gives people here the vapors, I'll tend to my own garden.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demasiado View Post
To pretend that sort of thing does not actually happen, be it in conversations or in a chat forum is naive.
To speak definitively about an organization that is not your own is inappropriate.

Quote:
I'd much rather have them out in the open, which would give me the opportunity to set the record straight. But that's me.

Since that sort of practice gives people here the vapors, I'll tend to my own garden.
Please do.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc.

est. 1987

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

public-relations@sigmalambdaupsilon.org

May 5, 2010

Sigma Lambda Upsilon Opposes SB 1070

New York, NY - Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (SLU) joins other national organizations in denouncing the passage of Senate Bill 1070 and subsequent House Bill 2281 in Arizona. The law, also known as Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act, will be in effect 90 days after the legislative session ends, July 28, 2010.

SLU is a diverse organization, comprised largely of first-generation Americans. We strongly believe that Senate Bill 1070 and House Bill 2281 counter our mission of

advocating for and promoting the advancement of the Latino community through service, education and cultural awareness. Although our organization does not currently have a chapter in Arizona, we recognize the implications of such laws on Latino communities throughout the country. Senate Bill 1070 promotes racial profiling and discrimination, and threatens the civil liberties of all people of color regardless of their immigration status. Similarly, House Bill 2281, which targets schools or districts that have an Ethnic Studies curriculum, limits opportunities for cultural awareness through education and disparately impacts communities of color by curtailing freedom of speech and expression. Our sisterhood includes current students and alumnae of colleges and universities across the nation that offer Ethnic Studies program, and they value such programs as opportunities to learn about their own cultural history as well as those of other communities of color. Ethnic Studies programs promote an understanding of diverse cultures and nations, and should not be labeled as unpatriotic.

As such, SLU stands united in solidarity with our brothers and sisters across the nation against Arizona Senate Bill 1070 and House Bill 2281. We will be vigilant against the

injustice and ignorance that these laws can engender.

To learn more about SB 1070, log onto http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2...70pshs.doc.htm. If you are interested in taking a stand, visit www.change.org to sign a petition and contact your Congressional representative and let him/her know that you do not agree with legalizing racial profiling in Arizona.

Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (SLU) was founded on December 1, 1987 at Binghamton University as an organization that would provide

sisterhood and support while also promoting academic achievement, service to the community and cultural enrichment. Today, the sorority's purpose remains to unite

women committed to seeking the political and social advancement of the underrepresented populations.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Iota Alpha boycotts AFA Annual Meeting in Arizona in response to SB-1070

Press Contacts:
Omar Lopez
Director of Marketing
Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
http://www.phiota.info/news
press@phiota.info

Phi Iota Alpha boycotts AFA Annual Meeting in Arizona in response to SB-1070

New York City, New York - May 2010

As a result of the proposed enactment of Arizona Senate Bill 1070 and subsequent House Bill 2281, Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc., will not send delegates to the upcoming Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors (AFA) Annual Meeting scheduled to be held this Fall in Phoenix, Arizona.

On Tuesday, May 4th, 2010, the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to suspend any fraternal delegations to the State of Arizona until further notice. Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc., believes that the enforcement of SB-1070 will be impossible without the infringement of the civil rights of Arizona's Latino & Hispanic citizens. Therefore no fraternal delegation will participate in any Arizona based meeting or event as the fraternity cannot guarantee the safety and freedom from harassment of it's members within the State of Arizona.

Since 1931 our members have suffered a long history of discrimination and unequal treatment under the law. As a result Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc., cannot in good faith support any effort that could potentially treat American Citizens in a biased or unequal manner.

Also Phi Iota Alpha, the nation's oldest Latino fraternity would like to thank Alpha Phi Alpha, the nation's oldest African-American fraternity for moving their upcoming convention. On Thursday, April 29, Alpha Phi Alpha's Board of Directors voted unanimously to rescind the location of Phoenix, Arizona as the meeting location of their 104th Anniversary/90th General Convention in July 2010. This event will now take place in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc., encourages all Latino Greek Letter Organizations to support our efforts on behalf of all of the citizens of the State of Arizona and the United States of America.

###
Since 1931, Phi Iota Alpha has set precedents for Latino greek leadership in the global community. For over 75 years, Phi Iota Alpha has cultivated and inspired Latino men nationwide to become leaders of their communities across Latin America and the United States. Open to all men, this distinguished brotherhood includes many professionals and former presidents of Latin American countries. Today Phi Iota Alpha, the Oldest Latino Fraternity in existence, continues to lead as the preeminent Latino fraternal organization with chapters throughout the United States.

Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc. - The Oldest Latino Fraternity in Existence
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Sigma Lambda Upsilon to Read for the Record

I love this!! Way to go, ladies!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

public-relations@sigmalambdaupsilon.org
September 27, 2010

Sigma Lambda Upsilon to Read for the Record

New York, NY- Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (SLU) will join Jumpstart's Read for the Record campaign on Thursday October 7, 2010. The record breaking campaign brings children and adults together to read the same book, on the same day, in homes and communities all over the world. The 2010 selected book is The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.

“This is a great opportunity for all of our Hermanas regardless of their location and age to engage and bring literacy into their communities and homes,” says Stephanie Cabrera, Director of Philanthropy.

To set a new world record of readers on this day, plan an event in your community or read the book online to others. Visit http://www.readfortherecord.org to learn about the campaign and pledge to read.

Jumpstart is a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring that every child in America enters school prepared to succeed. All proceeds from the campaign support Jumpstart initiatives to early education for children in low-income communities.

Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc., was founded on December 1, 1987 at Binghamton University as an organization that would provide sisterhood and support while also promoting academic achievement, service to the community and cultural enrichment www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 9/27/10
Email: DOEA@justbecus.org

Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc. Expands to the
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor

New York, NY (9/27/10) - On August 28, 2010 Chi Upsilon Sigma welcomed its newest undergraduate chapter, Beta Eta, at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. Beta Eta Chapter has pioneered the establishment of Region III (Midwest Region) of Chi Upsilon Sigma by welcoming 8 new members. These women set a goal to bring about unity to the Greek & Latino campus communities. The establishing of Beta Eta chapter could not have been possible without the Mid-Atlantic Region (Region II) whose time, love, education and commitment directed expansion to the Midwest. The collaboration and support of sisters from all regions, from the Great Plains to the Southeast, also contributed greatly to establishing the founding line. The Midwest is new territory for Chi Upsilon Sigma and we look forward to establishing a longevity in the area by Breaking Barriers and Exceeding Expectations.

Chi Upsilon Sigma has been in existence since April 29, 1980, incepted on the New Brunswick Campus of Rutgers – the State University of New Jersey. Our founders are 7 Latinas who had the desire to create an organization to promote leadership among the Latino community and our membership has since grown to incorporate women of all ethnicities. Chi Upsilon Sigma has devoted itself to increasing awareness amongst ourselves and our communities about important political, social, cultural, and educational issues and servicing the communities around us.

NALFO (National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations) is an umbrella council for Latino Greek Letter Organizations. The purpose of NALFO is to promote and foster positive interfraternal relations, communication, and development of all Latino Fraternal organizations through mutual respect, leadership, honesty, professionalism and education.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thanks, LatinaAlumna!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I decided to start doing this again I started from the most recent.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Email: nalfo98@gmail.com

NALFO Collaborates for International Badge Day:

A Time to Remember

Monday, March 7, 2011

International Badge Day was established in 1997 by the National Panhellenic Conference to
set aside a day or an event for women across the nation to wear their sorority badges or
Greek letters in a celebration of sisterhood. The National Association of Latino Fraternal
Organizations and the National Multicultural Greek Council celebrate in their own diverse
ways to recognize women.

On Monday, March 7, these women will celebrate International Badge Day during National
Women’s History Month and will honor their separate and distinct Greek-letter affiliations by
wearing their badges or letters. It is a day set aside to acknowledge successful women
around the globe, whether they are U.S. Senators or university freshmen. Each group is
distinct in its fraternal bonds and each will celebrate in different ways, but all will celebrate
the diverse interests of women.

We invite all NALFO member sororities to honor their respective organizations and unite
with their fellow sorority women across the nation for this important event. This year’s
theme is: “Keep Your Fraternal Experience Close to Your Heart.”
About the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC)

The NPC, based in Indianapolis, provides support and guidance for its 26 member sororities and
serves as the national voice on contemporary issues of sorority life. Founded in 1902, NPC is one of
the oldest and largest women’s membership organizations and is represented on 654 campuses and
in 4,537 local alumnae chapters in the U.S. and Canada. For more info, visit www.npcwomen.org.
About the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO)
Established in 1998, NALFO serves as the umbrella council for 19 Latino/a fraternities and sororities
from across the United States. The purpose of NALFO is to promote and foster positive inter-fraternal
relations, communication and development of all Latino fraternal organizations through mutual
respect, leadership, honesty, professionalism and education.
###

Last edited by Monarca7; 02-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Two new press releases from Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Senoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. Congrats, ladies!:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Director of Public Relations
E-mail: public-relations@sigmalambdaupsilon.org

April 12, 2011

Sigma Lambda Upsilon Welcomes its Newest Chapter- Pace University

New York, NY- The National Board of Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (SLU) proudly welcomes its latest chapter addition of Pace University- Alpha Xi Chapter.

“I am thrilled that the Hermandad has grown within the Westchester County area, especially since there is a growing Hispanic population and there is a tremendous need for Latino leaders in the county,” says Daisy Torres, National President.

The founding line includes: Veronica Sigcha (Portuguese, Ecuadorian, Puerto Rican Junior), Gabriela Quinche (Ecuadorian, Junior), Ghislaine Ruiz (Dominican, Sophomore), Ashley Caceres (Dominican, Junior), Perla Fermin (Dominican, Junior), Lisa Bharat (Guyanese, Junior), Alisha Bacchus (Guyanese, Junior), Zanib Naveed (Pakistani, Senior), and Erika Torres (Ecuadorian, Sophomore).

Thanks to the leadership of their deans Krysta Omeir (Omicron Chapter) and Rudsena Hernandez (Alpha Delta Chapter) and the expansion committee, SLU now has a new home in the Westchester area. Krysta adds, "Rudsena and I could not have asked for nine more intelligent and inspirational women to work with. We are extremely proud and humbled to witness the work they are about to put in. They are truly movers and shakers in their community.”

To contact Alpha Xi chapter, send an e-mail to alpha-xi@sigmalambdaupsilon.org

Founded on December 1, 1987 at Binghamton University as an organization that would provide sisterhood and support while also promoting academic achievement, service to the community, leadership, and cultural enrichment. SLU highly prides itself as an organization of diverse college-educated and professional women dedicated to uplifting traditionally marginalized groups, especially Latinos and women, by serving as a voice and means for empowerment. Almost twenty-three years since its establishment, the organization has expanded to over 35 schools across the country, touching the lives of more than 600 women.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Director of Public Relations
E-mail: public-relations@sigmalambdaupsilon.org

April 12, 2011

Sigma Lambda Upsilon Welcomes its Newest Chapter- University of Connecticut

Storrs, CT- The National Board of Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (SLU) proudly welcomes its latest chapter addition of University of Connecticut- Alpha Omicron Chapter.

“I am very proud of the Hermanas of the Alpha Omicron Chapter and I cannot wait to see the impact that I know they will make on the Storrs Campus and within the surrounding communities. I am overall overwhelmed with emotions because I know and understand the need of our wonderful Hermandad not only within in the UCONN community but the state of Connecticut,” says Luz Burgos, Director of Expansion of the National Board of SLU.

The founding line includes: Lisette Espinal (Dominican, Sophomore), Alexis M. Ruiz (Puerto Rican, Sophomore), Jael C. Olivares (Salvadorian & Puerto Rican, Sophomore), and Brimar Guerrero (Dominican, Junior.)

The National Board would like to thank the leadership of the Dean of Pledges Stephanie Tafur (Alpha Iota Chapter), Dean of Academics Iris González (Phi Chapter) and the expansion committee.

Luz Burgos adds, “we all look forward to working with the student leaders, our Greek family and the administration to provided a positive undergraduate experience for all students. I hope everyone is ready to see what a Señorita is all about!”

To contact Alpha Omicron Chapter, send an e-mail to alpha-omicron@sigmalambdaupsilon.org

Founded on December 1, 1987 at Binghamton University as an organization that would provide sisterhood and support while also promoting academic achievement, service to the community, leadership, and cultural enrichment. SLU highly prides itself as an organization of diverse college-educated and professional women dedicated to uplifting traditionally marginalized groups, especially Latinos and women, by serving as a voice and means for empowerment. Almost twenty-three years since its establishment, the organization has expanded to over 35 schools across the country, touching the lives of more than 600 women.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Great news

Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, and it's refreshing to read an announcement on the NALFO listserv that actually concerns one of the member organizations...instead of folks promoting themselves, their own companies, and/or events.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea, that's part of the reason I don't really focus on them anymore. I have them going to a different folder.

You can only see so many "XYZ Picnic 2011" emails before it gets a little tiring.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if NALFO put a freeze on new membership again?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

^As in, a freeze on member organizations applying to join NALFO?