GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,663
0 members and 2,663 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Chapters / Campus Visits

Which chapters have you been to? Most of my visits were in the 90's. I've been to:

Oklahoma - They used to be HUGE till I think they got in trouble for hazing or something. I went down there as a pledge to help them with rush. They were pretty badoff and needed mucho help with getting numbers up. I stayed friends throughout college with some of them. Very nice guys. The house was one of those monsters built solely to house bodies. I think it could sleep like 80 or something. It wasn't very good looking tho. (@ around 35 members as of 2006)

Oklahoma State - I've been to this chapter a few times. They have always been HUGE (well over 100). The house was VERY nice I thought. It is on a very good corner, right across from campus. They seemed like good guys from what I remember. (around 130 members as of 2006)

Arkansas - Their house kind of reminded me of OU's house. Built to house many bodies. Not very impressive, but I think it is gone now as they are building a new one now that they are back on campus. Don't remember much about them; but I do remember getting stopped near the bar area by cops, they asked where we were going and when we said "Sigma Nu" they were VERY nice and gave us a lift. I think one was an alumni. (I think they are at around 80 now).

University of Central Arkansas - Not sure why we went there, but it was right after they got a charter. VERY good guys, and they had a nice party with a lot of hotties. Good ol' country boys for the most part.

Kansas - Their house was the old governors mansion. I got a nice tour of it, and came away VERY impressed. One thing I remember specifically was they had composites lined up on the walls all around their huge dining area, and I swear they had them back to the 1800's. Dont' remember much about the guys. I think they were also well over a hundred members then. I remember thinking it was very cool that all the fraternities and sororities on that street had a "SIGMA NU PLACE" address.

University of North Texas - My gf at the time went to grad school here, and I remember going to visit the snake house once. The guys were very nice and the house was pretty pimp. Classic mansion style with columns. (60-ish members I believe)

UCLA - We roadtripped to LA, and Mexico one spring break. I think UCLA was still in school so we stopped by the house. It was like a Tuesday and they were having beer relays or something. It was a blast. Very good guys, I seem to remember them all being big ol' boys. Guess they had a nice weight room or something. House was very nice and big. Not sure of the style, but it wasn't the classic mansion look. It was huge tho.

Arizona State - Same trip as above. HUGE house built like a tank. Swimming pool that gives them an advantage over everyone. You can tell they are the Big Men on Campus. Closed down - Risk Reduction Violations (hazing I believe). Back on Campus as of '04. (87 members as of 2006)

TULSA - My chapter. Our house was terrible looking. Built in the 50's in single level style that was popular then I guess. Wrecking ball took it away a few years back

Last edited by banditone; 07-05-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Central Florida - My chapter. We don't have a house (yet), as we just received our charter in 2005.

University of South Florida - Have one of the weird duplex type houses where you share half the house with another organization.

University of Florida (colony) - Awesome house. Somewhat small, but still really cool

University of Cincinnati - Their old house was pretty neat, haven't seen the new one yet.

Stetson University - Really cool house, just kind of beat up.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Cal Poly Pomona (New and Old House)
Pepperdine
Cal State Fullerton
Arizona State
Cal State Northridge
USC
UCLA
Cal State LA
Cal State San Berdo
San Diego State
UC San Diego

We get lucky being in So Cal there is a large concentration of chapters.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
NO info on those houses you visited???
I'd love to hear about them.
Especially Pepperdine, USC, San Diego State, UC San Diego.

I'm putting together a website with all the Sigma Nu houses I have found pics of.

Last edited by banditone; 07-05-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

UCSD doesn't have frat row, not sure where the current SigNu houses are actually
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

San Jose State- My chapter, founded in 1951...one of the most diverse Sigma Nu chapters in the nation. 24 bedroom house with industrial kitchen, dining room, tv room, renovated 2nd floor (2005), renovated 3rd floor (2007), and renovated chapter room (2004).

Fresno State- Went to a couple of their parties....Pirate Party and Jungle party. They were chartered a week after we were in 1951. Very friendly and always down to meet new brothers. Had a 14 foot boa named Zima that recently died. Home chapter of Director of Expansion Chris Healy.

UC Berkeley- About as close as you'll get to an "old school" chapter house. The mansion is ancient. The bros there are super-achievers big into academics. All around welcome and friendly, I spend St. Patrick's Day 2007 with them since their house is 10 minutes from my parents. They have the perfect house to throw events in, had a live band at their Snake Pit party in Fall 06.

Stanford- Visited in Spring 2006 at VBR/LEAD Institute. They were having a parents day so they were pretty busy and just gave us a quick tour. Still haven't gone to their famous Moonsplash or Sunsplash parties. Plan on going back in Fall 2007 for the SJSU/Stanford football game.

good thread
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuKnight172 View Post
Cal Poly Pomona (New and Old House)
Pepperdine
Cal State Fullerton
Arizona State
Cal State Northridge
USC
UCLA
Cal State LA
Cal State San Berdo
San Diego State
UC San Diego

We get lucky being in So Cal there is a large concentration of chapters.
Cal Poly Pomona (New and Old House) - On Holt Avenue in downtown Pomona. They are in a rough neighborhood there are actually streetwalkers that walk in front of there house (we always laugh at this when we go there.) The brothers have actually made friends with the police in the area and they actually look out for the house. Huge house on the interior. The house looks small from the outside but is very deep. 3 story with a basement. The commander has his own room on the very top just outside their chapter room. The old house was smaller. The outline of the badge is still on the front of the old house.

Pepperdine - I don't think this was an official house. We visited when I was a candidate and there was a bunch of guys who lived together. Nothing special.

Cal State Fullerton - New to them, their house is like an apartment style complex with a courtyard.

Arizona State - Similar to Fullerton but much larger. The letters in the ppol are pretty cool. I visited them when I was a Candidate as well. (on their web site there is a tour of the house.)

Cal State Northridge - I don't think they have a house yet I have visited them on campus a few times to facilitate LEAD sessions.

USC - Typical Fraternity house. Their house is huge. They have a porter, and cook on staff I believe. They have a beach volleyball court in their front yard. At a rush event in 2000 they had Vanilla Ice perform (he charged them like $10,000 or something). If you go on their roof you can see all of the row. The thing about USC is that it is so expensive to go there that the brothers in the house are all very young. This I am assuming is because you only are invoilved for 3 years then you concentrate on graduating (just my assumption not fact.) On a funny note when you sit on their front porch and drink you can throw your empty cans out on the lawn and every hour or so a homeless person will walk by and pick them up to recycle (at first I didn't believe it but then I saw it happened. I guess drinking does benefit the community. )

UCLA - Very nice house.

Cal State LA - Old house just off the CSULA Campus. The house has been around for a very long time. We went to a SuperBowl party there and we were a little nervous at first. Most of the brothers look like Mexican Gangsters. Pretty rough neigborhood. In the end they treated us right and they are good Sigma Nus (I guess that was a lesson in don't judge a book by its cover.)

Cal State San Berdo - (My Chapter) Currently there are Three houses none of them are officially recognized by nationals as a house. One house has 5 bedrooms and is owned by an Alumnus (I was one of the first residents and it was cool to have a focal point for the chapter.) The second house I have not been to yet but I think like 10 guys live there I heard it was very nice and is tri-level. The third house is brand new literally There are like 5 brothers and one sweetheart that live there. This is probably the nicer of the three house just because it is actually kept clean.

San Diego State - They actually when I was there had two houses next door to each other. It was late at night when I went there so I can't remember much other than their Snake cage (Terrarium) smelled very bad.

UC San Diego - Visited this house as a candidate Don't remember much about it.

UC Berkley - I left this off my previous list but I went to the Berkley house in December. There was no brothers there the house was locked. So didn't go inside. Very nice house from the outside.