GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,217
2 members and 2,215 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-28-2001, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Girl Scouts vs. Sororities

My cheers go out to all former and/or current Girl Scouts! I have been a Girl Scout since 1991 (when I was 8 years old), and I'm now an adult Girl Scout. I don't know what I would have done without Girl Scouts. (teehee I was top cookie seller in my troop in 1998---250 boxes)
It really helped me to stay out of trouble and to learn to help others. I attended Girl Scout camp for four years, and then volunteered as an animal aide to the horses at camp. After that I became a Jr.Counselor, and then a Sr.Counselor.
When I was a counselor it was extremely rewarding. There is nothing more special than seeing younger girls look up to you and admire you as if you are a hero of some sort. I believe from what I've heard that this experience is similar to the big/little sister tradition in sororities.
I never did earn the Silver or Gold awards, but cheers to those of you who did. It takes a LOT of hard work and dedication, but I was also in a lot of other extra cirricular activities and did not have time to pursue those.
It's sad how everyone thinks Girl Scouts is cool when they're little, and then when they are teenagers most of them drop out because they think it's dorky....little do they know that's when the best part is! All the field trips, the female bonding---it's just great.
Not to sound corny, but now that I understand sororities better, I truly believe that Girl Scouts is like a miniature sorority...for those of you who were never a Girl Scout, read this "Girl Scout Law" and see if it doesn't remind you of some of your sorority's sayings.

The Girl Scout Law

I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, corageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a ***SISTER*** to every Girl Scout.

If these values reflect those of your sorority, let me know

------------------
***Tinkerbell----a Greek hopeful ***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~

[This message has been edited by TinkerbellMTSU (edited July 28, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2001, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Tink -

The ZTA Creed follows below. Visit the national websites of each sorority on your campus and read their creed/mission statement. This is give you an idea of the type of woman in a particular 'national' sororoity.

To realize that within our grasp, in Zeta Tau Alpha, lies the opportunity to learn those things which will ever enrich and ennoble our lives; to be true to ourselves, to those within and without our circle; to think in terms of all mankind and our service in the world; to be steadfast, strong, and clean of heart and mind, remembering that since the thought is father to the deed, only that which we would have manifested in our experience should be entertained in thought; to find satisfaction in being, rather than seeming, thus strengthening in us the higher qualities of the spirit; to prepare for service and learn the nobility of serving, thereby earning the right to be served; to seek understanding that we might gain true wisdom; to look for the good in everyone; to see beauty, with its enriching influence; to be humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat; to have the welfare and harmony of the Fraternity at heart, striving ever to make our lives a symphony of high ideals, devotion to the right, the good, and the true, without a discordant note; remembering always that the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was love, "the greatest of all things."

My favorite line is "to find satisfaction in being, rather than seeming". It says a lot to me - that I should be and act on all the good things in my heart, not just show a false face to the world. And that, by being that good person I aspire to be, I will find true satisfaction and love in my life.

Barbara
Old 07-30-2001, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

PnguinTrax---That's really cool. It's funny, too, because under the "Songs & Chants" post, I found out that some Phi Mus sing a song called "Linger" that I sang as a camper/counselor in Girl Scouts. A few of the words are different, but it's just really neat.
Here is another song I found in my Girl Scout camp songbook. This one in particular, I've not heard the tune to before, but the words really hit me right here <pats heart>....

Celebrate the girl inside of me
Celebrate the woman I will be
I will sing out my own melody
When we celebrate celebrate together

Standing in a circle with my sisters
Arm in arm with friends
Girl Scouts together united
I pledge once again

Celebrate the girl inside of me
Celebrate the woman I will be
I will sing out my own melody
When we celebrate clebrate together

(That was just the chorus and the bridge, but it's really sweet.)

Here's another one:

Girl Scouts together, that is our song
Winding the old trails, rocky and long
Learning our motto, living our creed
Girl Scouts together in every good deed.

Girl Scouts together, happy are we
Friendly to neighbors, far o'er the sea
Faithful to country, loyal to home
Known as a true Girl Scout wherever we roam.

And of course, the famous:

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other's gold

A circle is round, it has no end
That's how long I want to be your friend

Another (sorry, I'm on a role here):

Change the world, come with me
Time to let our dreams fly free
That is our way
Every moment we're alive, its our love that will survive
In the Girl Scouts together, we change the world.

Sisters of every color, friends from everywhere
We all make the difference, when we show the world we car
The Girl Scouts are a family and they show us what we can be
And I believe together, we change the world.

In America, we have so much to give
To our sisters 'round the world
Who are struggling just to live
Light the light and do our share
Reach out your hand and someone's there
I believe together, we change the world

Oh, well, that's all I can find for now

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 08-13-2001, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
The Girl Scouts are a LOT like sororities.

You get a badge.
You pay dues.
There are weekly meetings.
There is a promise and law.
There is a GS handshake.
You have ceremonies like bridging, etc.
There are colors.
We learned about our founders and our history. <a href = "http://www.girlscouts.org/about/history.html"</a>
Girl Scouts encourages alumni participation.
Troops normally start at schools.
You do service projects.

I totally think G S of A is like a sorority for little girls. I was a girl scout for 8 years and I feel that it inspired me in the same way that my sorority has.

Actually, Kappa Delta volunteers with the girl scouts, which is really cool I was looking at the GSA website and there was a pic of a KD in her letters...way to go greeks

I am glad that someone started this thread 'cause I have been in awe of the similarities since I joined DZ.

Old 08-23-2001, 08:31 AM
Banned

Cool

Actually, Girl Scouts isn't just for little girls (thought predominantly it is because there really isn't much past seniors other than helping with troops, etc). However, there are some really active Campus Girl Scout groups at different colleges/universities all over the country. (that's the page with the picture of the KD) They are all adult girl scouts that are at university--working with the local council, troops, etc. BUT, they do stuff on their own as well. Actually, it would be really neat to see a lot more sororities working with campus girl scouts (if there is one on campus--if not, it only takes 2 registered girl scouts (paid $7/year dues) to start one!) It would definitely help with public image--just some rambling thoughts! =)

Sarah
Chapter Adviser - AOII at MSU
Lifetime Girl Scout member
Old 08-23-2001, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

A plea for help from all you women from someone who's been in Scouting for over (ahem) 40 years--we need help! Badly! If your group is looking for a local philanthropy, please call your local Scout office!

We need leaders, assistants, people to help with projects in special areas like outdoor activities, arts and crafts, music--you name it! You don't have to sign up for a weekly commitment;even one-time commitments are great. For example, a troop would love it if you could do a three-hour workshop on, say, jewelry making or outdoor cooking or volleyball.

The Girl Scout webpage lists all the councils in the country; I think it's www.gsusa.org. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I was only a brownie for a few months when I was little , but I loved it. Anyways, yesterday I went and filled out all the paperwork to become a Brownie leader this year. It was a lot of paperwork, but I am so excited and nervous. The unit leader seems quite nice, so I'm sure I have nothing to worry about.
My Lil sis(in the sorority) was a girl guide when she was initiated, and i think she is a leader now. I think she is part of the reason I looked into it.Also our chapter advisor is a cub scout leader.
It is great to see how we all volunteer and share our time!
Old 08-25-2001, 11:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Arrow

When people ask me what a sorority is like I often tell them that it is like an adult version of Girl Guides. Like many of you on this board I was a brownie, guide and pathfinder and worked hard to receive great honours, like the Canada Cord. Right from the time that I was in guides I was always interested in the leadership aspect of it, and that held true through my active sorority years. I say it is an adult version simply because you deal with more adult situations within the sorority versus guides or pathfinders, such as learning how to handle a budget or prep yourself for grad school. But other than that things are virtually the same - in guides you went camping; now we have retreats, etc. (I was never a ranger or cadet, so I don't know what sort of workshops you did at these levels).
Old 09-15-2001, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Sororities do remind me of Girl Scouts. They are alot alike a big happy group of girls having fun and making new friends!! I know that I love Kappa Delta's philanthropy with the Girl Scouts! My two younger sisters are in Girl Scouts and I absolutly love helping them out with projects!! It's so much fun. I hope to one day become a KD and help out with my little sisters' Girl Scout troups with my sisters! Anyways just thought I would put my 2 cents in!

Nichole
Old 11-19-2001, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Girl Scouts!

Yes! I really feel like when I graduated high school and left my GS troop behind there was a bit of my life missing - and joining my sorority helped me fill that bit. The sisterhood in both organizations is really strong, and they both work for strong women.

I work at a Girl Scout camp every summer (this past summer was year number 4, and unfortunately, it has to be the last...) and wish I had more time at school to work with local Girl Scouts. I would love to be the co-leader of a Junior troop, and teach my girls all sorts of cool things and take them camping and everything. It would be SO fun! Maybe next year...

That's a great idea, doing some workshop with a troop - work on some badge requirements, meet some cool girls, and have a lot of fun! I think I'll keep that in mind!
Old 11-19-2001, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is a link to Kappa Delta's National Website, explaining our collaboration with Girl Scouts of the USA. In the past, our chapter has paired up with a troop, and had a picnic lunch with them, and then took them on a bike riding tour of our campus. They were elementary school girls, and they were so sweet and fun to picnic with! I think this is a great way for young girls to be introduced to sororities, and a great way for sorority members to help with scouting activities.

http://www.kappadelta.org/Foundation/foundation.htm
Old 11-19-2001, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up Girl Scouts Forever...

I am a Scout, and enjoy every minute of it. The sisterhood I experienced as a Scout is the reason I pursued membership in a greek Sisterhood. That, and the fact that two of the Scouts I admired most went greek in college - something that (at the time) surprised me - I didn't think they were the "type". I figured out pretty quickly though that greek like offered the same chance of sisterhood that we experienced as Scouts.

It's really unfortunate that girls don't stick to Scouting once they get to middle/junior high school. I really think that's when they need Scouting the most. But the ones who stick to it through Cadette and Senior Scouts are real winners.

I'm proud to have earned the Silver and Gold awards - I think I learned as much as I taught (both of my projects involved educating my peers about my heritage and culture). It's interesting to learn that people can be very open to differences and new things, or very closed to the same things - it really depends on how you present things. I suppose that's why I never tire of educating people about my heritage.

I remember, when Artimis and others and I were founding our Chapter, we were seeking an advisor. One lady questioned why it was that we chose the sorority structure, as opposed to a student organization. She didn't have a positive image of greeks, she really didn't want to advise a sorority, and she didn't want to have to do anything with some "frivolous minded-females." I didn't like her point of view, but I couldn't help being sympathetic to her as well. She'd worked hard to acheive her success, and didn't see how a social greek organization would help us do the same.

I gave her the example of Scouting and sisterhood (she had some association) with them, and how much Scouting taught girls...and she understood. She didn't end up advising us, but I'm satisfied that I changed someone's perception of greeks, and our sorority.

The nicest thing of all, is that I think of my Sister Scouts and my Alpha Sigma Kappa Sisters when I here the following lines:

"Make new friends, but keep the old,
One is Silver and the others' Gold.

A circle is round, it has no end,
That's how long I want to be your friend!"
Old 11-19-2001, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Cool I've got something in my pocket...

I started at the Jr. level and continued to Cadette and then Senior. GSof A taught me a lot about helping others and being ready at all times. The camping, the songs, the friends, (and yes the enemies too) my troop leaders, the cookies,(oh mannnn the cookies!) and the memories. I wish I had the time to volunteer but alas. I wish more people would put their young ladies in to GS simply because of the exposure of new and different things. Girl Scouts, it's a good thing!

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 11-19-2001 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up Girl Scout leaders

I was a Brownie & then crossed the bridge to Girl Scouts . I was never really satisfied with my particular troop, because I was into the camping & outdoor things, and most of my troop was into sewing & stuff. (We were the troop that stayed in the house with electricity when we went camping ). So when I moved to middle school I, too, left Girl Scouting. I don't, and never have, regretted my time as a Scout, though. It was fun, and I did learn to play with girls (I alway make friends with boys )

My little was a Girl Scout all through high school, and did all kinds of interesting things. She now teaches art and just a few weeks ago started a troop at her school. In another week or 2 they become official!

She was showing me the "new" badge book, and there are some COOL things in there! There are badges on your family (cultural) history, badges on outdoor sports, and anything in between.

And who can resist those cookies?

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

The Boy Scouts are very close to fraternities as well...

Actually, if you do some digging, you'll notice a link between the Boy Scouts of America, Alpha Phi Omega, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon. There was another thread a while ago about this, but it goes something like this... APO was founded specifically on the tenents of the Boy Scout Oath and Law. Most/All of APO's 14 founders were former scouts, and 8 of the 14 founders, all of whom were former scouts, were SAEs (Penn Gamma Chapter).

Anyway, as an Eagle Scout, the predominant reason why I chose SAE was because I was one of a half-dozen Eagle Scouts among the group and the chapter was/still is one of the smaller ones on campus. Becoming an Eagle Scout isn't easy... something like only 2% or so of all scouts actually make it (% could be a little higher now, but probably not by much), so for 6 of them to be found in one small group was enough evidence for me of the quality and character of the men in my chapter. I found out about the BSA/APO/SAE link after the fact, but it only served to confirm my decision as the right one!