GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,671
1 members and 1,670 guests
indygphib

Old 04-04-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

AGD - The Living Circle

Finally am putting a check in the mail!

I hope that Gamma Tau has ordered one for the West Georgia library!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I received a notice today from the Foundation that one of our GC sisters made a donation to the Foundation in honor of me!

Thank you Susan!

Loyally,

Dee
Old 04-23-2004, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I did the Alumnae ceremony for 3 GTaus. There are about 7 or 8 that are graduating/taking alumnae status but the timing wasn't very good. So only 3 showed up.

1 just got accept for grad school at Auburn!! She's looking for a roomie if u know anyone interested.

1 is getting married in July and will be moving too far to be on campus.

1 isn't sure, lol and will prob try for masters in mgmt so she can work with Greek Life!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Best sis ever...

I have to say that I got really lucky 19 years ago when I met my best friend. 8 years ago we became not only sisters but she is my sis-mom. She has stuck by me through the hardest times in my life especially the past years while my husband and I struggled with infertility. She is supportive and she is a blast to be with...she helped me get my stress level down by getting out with me and now I am finally pregnant...I have to give some credit to Wendi (AGDAlum) and brag on her to all of you.

Thanks for reading!

Loyally,

Tina
Old 06-07-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Best sis ever...continued

I got Wendi's screen name wrong it is alphagam-alum (sorry for any confusion)

Tina
Old 06-20-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

EMILY ---

Michgan's Women's Historical Center and Hall of Fame

Emily Helen Butterfield
(1884 - 1958)
Inducted: 1990
Era: Historic
Area(s) of Achievement: Architecture,Arts

Emily Helen Butterfield was known statewide in the 1930s as both an artist and architect. She was born in Algonac, Michigan, and attended Detroit Public Schools. She began her art education at the age of seven. She became Michigan’s first licensed woman architect in 1907. She joined her father in business, and in 1917 the firm of Butterfield and Butterfield was established. They were pioneers in the transformation of church architecture from a Sunday meeting hall to a center of daily community and social activity. She practiced architecture in Detroit and Pontiac, planning 26 churches throughout the state, many of them Methodist, as well as many schools, homes factories, and stores.

As a teenager Butterfield accompanied her father and his artist friends on sketching trips in Europe and the western United States. In 1933, she published for children, YOUNG PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE, which is illustrated with many of her sketches from her travels. Her interest in heraldry was also sparked during these trips, and subsequently she published COLLEGE FRATERNITY HERALDRY. Both are still recognized as classics in their field. She also wrote articles about architecture and the use of art in the home for House and Garden and Town and Country magazines.

Butterfield made many contributions to the first wave of the women’s movement in Michigan. Recognizing the value of working together to improve the status of women, she helped found the Detroit Business Woman’s Club in 1912. This was the first professional woman’s club in the United States. The group became affiliated with the State and National Federations of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs. Butterfield was one of eleven founders of Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity, a women’s collegiate social group which began at her alma mater, Syracuse University, in 1904. When the organization established a camp for underprivileged children in Jackson, Michigan, she designed and supervised the construction of the camp building and was camp manager from 1920 through 1924.

Butterfield’s artistic skills included painting with water colors and pen and ink sketching. She exhibited frequently in the J. L. Hudson Gallery and at the Toledo Artists Club. Her love of nature and her native state are depicted in many of her watercolor paintings. She retired to Neebish Island, where she served as postmaster during World War II.
http://hall.michiganwomenshalloffame...p?C=0&A=69~133

Last edited by AGDLynn; 06-20-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

The Michigan Women's Hall of Fame had reception many moons ago in honor of Emily and many Alpha Gams were in attendance. I was the CA of Zeta Alpha that year and most of the chapter went, as well as myself and my sister-daughter. Jane Graf had rallied the Alpha Gams to be there in abundance. She also has a collection of Emily's art and brought some to IRD this year for our viewing enjoyment. They also have at least one of her paintings in the Alpha Beta house at U of Mich.

I was in awe of her accomplishments at the reception for her induction into the Women's Hall of Fame and again at her Founder's Memorial Dedication last fall.

Many of the churches and schools that she designed are still standing and I hope someday to visit at least one of them.

Emily was definitely an amazing women. And when you put it in the perspective of the TIME that she did all of us, when few women even went to college, let alone worked, it is even more amazing.

Thank you Emily!

Dee
Old 06-22-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JPowers155 Send a message via Yahoo to JPowers155
I'm so sorry I missed the dedication ceremony for Emily. Many of the women from my chapter went and thought it was a wonderful event. Thanks for the information!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is sooo wonderful that I can reach out to a sister and say "Can I stay at your place" on the spur of the moment

Thought that I was going to be going to Bham next Friday to drop another AGD at the airport but turns out she's going to Athens, lol.

Soon, Lisa!!
Old 07-31-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
Lynn, You are welcome to stay here any time! lol
Old 09-22-2004, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome Atlanta Alumnae Chapter 9/21/04. It was our 1st meeting of the year so we had a birthday party to celebrate AGD's 100 years.

Lots of new faces!! Alumnae Chapters are wonderful ways to make contacts and to realize that your pharmacist is also your sister!! We also have software people, educators, insurance claims reps, Jezebel magazine sales person, TV associate producer, various medical types, law enforcement, domestic goddesses and others.

We had 2 Zetas (Ohio U) who both were attending for the 1st time. One has been in Ga 5 years and the other 2 months!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Unregistered-

Lighting of Tapers is this Saturday at the sophisticated Pacific Club.

I can't wait to see the reactions of our sisters when they find out they've received the Honors of Epsilon Pi.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:58 AM
Unregistered-

The Hawaii Alumnae held our Lighting of the Tapers Ceremony today, Memorial Service for Dorothy Russell Wright (79 year Alpha Gam member!), as well as a reception for Doris Ching, 2004 Distinguished Citizen. Doris' colleagues, which included a UH system chancellor and members of the Board of Regents and State Representatives, took the time out to help us celebrate today.

I apologize for the size of the pictures! GC doesn't let me resize. Enjoy!

Old 09-26-2004, 06:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiagd Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiiagd
Hey OTW... Good to see that no one can see your sandwich (which I am holding behind her!)

LOL

Good to see you today!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

2 things ---- 1 post

Wonderful --- Got an email from an AGD (Gamma Beta). Her granddaughter is a Gamma Tau new member. She was asking about when initation and FoR are!! Can't wait to meet her!

No Living Circle book...not enough purchasers unless someone wants to underwrite it.

Maybe I'll use the $60 refund in the Rose Garden or Burr/Patt