GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,493
0 members and 2,493 guests
No Members online

Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is way better to be able to go to bed at 10 or 11 pm, get up at 5:30 or 6 and be at work at 7 than it would be to leave your family's Thanksgiving dinner to be at work at 6 pm. Also, you could still have a couple beers or glasses of wine if you're not working until the next morning. If you're working that night, having any alcohol would be risky.

Yes, there are some service areas where you know that you'll have to work holidays. I don't think retail should be one of them.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

YES. Especially since retail workers will be entering the period when they usually can get no time off, have to work weekends and extended hours, and deal with holiday-stressed shoppers.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I work in Sports Television, so I can't remember when I DON'T work on a holiday!
But I knew that going in to this line of work ...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Capitalism at its finest.

Having worked retail all through HS and undergrad, I can attest that this time of year is miserable. Long hours, shitty customers, holiday music on a loop... It's bad stuff.

I'll never shop or support a black friday.. nope. Don't care what the doorbusters are.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Capitalism at its finest.

Having worked retail all through HS and undergrad, I can attest that this time of year is miserable. Long hours, shitty customers, holiday music on a loop... It's bad stuff.

I'll never shop or support a black friday.. nope. Don't care what the doorbusters are.
After I worked my first (and only) Black Friday, I promised myself I'd never put myself through that again.

Years ago, I worked in the pharmacy at Wal-Mart, and because the pharmacy is closed on Black Friday, we weren't required to work. Then my manager came at me with these big, sad puppy-dog eyes, saying that they were going to be short-staffed that day. I caved and agreed to work at 4 or 5am. I can't remember the time exactly - all I know is it was too damn early to deal with all the BS I had to deal with.

I was pushed, shoved, and called a "dumb broad" when I didn't know where a toy was (that we only carried in the store that ONE day). No one listened when I tried to organize the check-out lines, and people looked at me like I was worthless. I've never been so disrespected and so disgusted with people before. It was awful.

Maybe that's why Christmas is my least favorite holiday… because it seems to be the time of year when many people are so mean to each other, all because there's a sweater on sale.

No thanks!

@~/~~~~
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I think it is way better to be able to go to bed at 10 or 11 pm, get up at 5:30 or 6 and be at work at 7 than it would be to leave your family's Thanksgiving dinner to be at work at 6 pm. Also, you could still have a couple beers or glasses of wine if you're not working until the next morning. If you're working that night, having any alcohol would be risky.

Yes, there are some service areas where you know that you'll have to work holidays. I don't think retail should be one of them.
This. I worked a Black Friday two years ago where I was due in at 11 PM or 12 AM, to stay through 8 AM. This required my husband and I driving back from Thanksgiving dinner around 7:30 PM from his family (1.5 hours from home), me changing clothes, and then headed to work. Your body clock gets thrown off, people are just rude, and the deals aren't even that great.

Maybe it's just the way my body functions, but I'd much rather sleep at a semi-normalish hour (the late PM hours) and get up crazy early (3 AM or 4) in order to be at work by 6 or 7 AM. Particularly if my schedule is going to be hell for the next few weeks (and in retail, it is always hell in December). I'd rather have a day with a closer to my natural circadian rhythm than pull an all-nighter and still work a 40 hour weekend.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ

Last edited by Smile_Awhile; 10-21-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
After I worked my first (and only) Black Friday, I promised myself I'd never put myself through that again.

Years ago, I worked in the pharmacy at Wal-Mart, and because the pharmacy is closed on Black Friday, we weren't required to work. Then my manager came at me with these big, sad puppy-dog eyes, saying that they were going to be short-staffed that day. I caved and agreed to work at 4 or 5am. I can't remember the time exactly - all I know is it was too damn early to deal with all the BS I had to deal with.

I was pushed, shoved, and called a "dumb broad" when I didn't know where a toy was (that we only carried in the store that ONE day). No one listened when I tried to organize the check-out lines, and people looked at me like I was worthless. I've never been so disrespected and so disgusted with people before. It was awful.

Maybe that's why Christmas is my least favorite holiday… because it seems to be the time of year when many people are so mean to each other, all because there's a sweater on sale.

No thanks!
My favorite was the folks who came in still drunk/high from the night before who vomited on our floor. Every.single.year. Thank God for temp workers, right?

And then, of course, the company, in all of its wisdom, would roll out Black Friday promotions which would tie an employee up with a customer who opted in for about 15 minutes.

It's obvious that many of the decisions which make Black Friday so effing miserable for all involved are made by individuals who haven't ever tried to run just one store.. it's a very different skillset than running a region or country full of stores and those executives really could learn a lot.

Companies like Wal-Mart.. well really, just Wal-Mart specifically, allow really dangerous scenes to be created by these doorbusters. These sales have major quality of life implications for employees, and in the end, with all of the loss leaders they sell on Black Friday, it's not even all that profitable.

One might even argue it's degrading to the customers, most of whom are low wage earners to be herded into the store, forced into dangerous, sometimes violent confrontations with other customers and made to miss quality family time because this is the only day they can afford to shop on.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellylou View Post
The working overnight shifts (& if you work Thanksgiving night it is a 10-12 hr overnight) are usually picked up my the younger folk! I am busy on Thanksgiving with my 4 kids & have put in my time with those crazy shifts!
Not aimed at you but this reminded me of another gripe I have. At each job I've had up to this point, I was always automatically expected to work the holidays to free up the people "who have families." It is irritating to no end to hear, "Well, she should get the time off because she has a family." Ummmm what am I, a vagabond? I may not have kids but I do have a family and lots of loved ones who I will miss and will miss me if I am not home for the holiday, too. (For the record, I totally understand why priority would be given to people with small children. My issue is with the insinuation that me not having children makes my personal time less valuable.)

/rant

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
Not aimed at you but this reminded me of another gripe I have. At each job I've had up to this point, I was always automatically expected to work the holidays to free up the people "who have families." It is irritating to no end to hear, "Well, she should get the time off because she has a family." Ummmm what am I, a vagabond? I may not have kids but I do have a family and lots of loved ones who I will miss and will miss me if I am not home for the holiday, too. (For the record, I totally understand why priority would be given to people with small children. My issue is with the insinuation that me not having children makes my personal time less valuable.)

/rant
Thank you!

I've been told at many jobs, "Well, you have to understand.. Cindy needs the time off because she has 2 kids." Um, ok.. but I don't see why her time with her family is any more valuable than my time with my family.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM

I don't understand why priority would be given to someone with small children. Or, women with families versus men with families.

Priority should be set based on work related criteria. Such as seniority, for one.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I don't understand why priority would be given to someone with small children. Or, women with families versus men with families.

Priority should be set based on work related criteria. Such as seniority, for one.
I don't understand, either. Unfortunately, this is pretty common...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101172788

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/06/chil...lance-too.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-mothers.html

@~/~~~~
Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post

/rant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Thank you!

I've been told at many jobs, "Well, you have to understand.. Cindy needs the time off because she has 2 kids." Um, ok.. but I don't see why her time with her family is any more valuable than my time with my family.
Quote:
YES YES YES.

Quote:
Well, for one, but that is only a start. I would add "a healthy dose of common sense and fairness."

In my (single, childless) 20s I worked at a job where either my co-worker or I had to be at work any time the department was open. The department closed at noon Christmas Eve and all day Christmas but we were expected back 8am 12/26. Co-worker had seniority over me, and also had 3 kids. No matter what day of the week Christmas fell on, she would request off Dec 22-29. Every. Damn. Year.

Her entire extended family lived in the town where we worked. My entire family was 15 hours away, with no direct flight. So, with only 1.5 days off it was virtually impossible.

I proposed a deal to her where one of us could take the week leading up to Christmas Day and the other would take the week after. We would each get a full week PLUS the 1.5 days off. She could choose first, since she had seniority. Nope. *whiney voice, head cocked sideways* "Oh my kids need me at the holidays."

Two years of that and I got a new job.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 10-22-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I should be punished because I know how to prevent that sort of thing?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Not to mention, there are many other employees who have to work on Thanksgiving. I don’t mean essential functions like police, firefighters, emergency rooms, etc, but places like hotels, restaurants, airports. Nobody gets in a tizzy because Golden Corral is open all day.
Ha! I think you just named my entire family! LOL My mother was a nurse on the graveyard shift for the Sheriff's department, my dad was a supervisor at the airport, my sister was a chef at a high-end restaurant and I am in the fire service. We always have to coordinate out family get-togethers and it's not unusual to celebrate a holiday or occasion the day before or the day after....or even a few days after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Co-worker had seniority over me, and also had 3 kids. No matter what day of the week Christmas fell on, she would request off Dec 22-29. Every. Damn. Year.
Oh man, you're speaking my language right now. I received promotion to Fire Captain earlier this year. There are only 4 FCs and I am, of course, the least senior. The other FCs got to bid for all of the holidays off and I am the one that gets stuck for every holiday this year.

I have to work Thanksgiving and the day after (Friday). I can't see my family the day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday) because I am being redirected to cover for another Captain who rquested the day off. So, I have to work three days in a row (Wed-Thurs-Fri) which is 72 hours straight over Thanksgiving.

Now I also learn that another Captain has requested the Tuesday before Thanksgiving off. The department can't force me to work as the policy says that they can only force me for 72 hours max. So, the second lowest senior Captain will have to be forced in - making HIM work his regular Sun-Mon shift plus Tues, for 72 hours straight. I sure hope HE didn't have any Tuesday travel plans for Thanksgiving!

Maybe Christmas will be better? I am regularly scheduled work on Thursdays and Fridays. Let's look at the schedule. Darn - Christmas falls on Thursday this year; so, I have to work Christmas and the day after. No worries, I can see my family on Christmas Eve, right? Nope! That same Captain from before has also requested Christmas Eve off and I am the one who is being redirected to cover Wednesday, 12/24. Soooo.....I get to work another 72-hours straight over the top of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

New Years? That's also my regular day (Thursday); BUT, I got it off! I don't know why they didn't schedule me; but, my guess is that the Chief was trying to throw me a bone after making me work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Awkward! LOL

My heart goes out to all of you who have to work strange hours or forced hours on the days you would rather be with your families. I chose this life and career and I accept the consequences of that decision. Though, for some, the choice to work in retail wasn't as easy and finding another job isn't as cut and dry as it sounds.

True and Constant
Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
No matter what day of the week Christmas fell on, she would request off Dec 22-29. Every. Damn. Year.
I loved working those days when I was in corporate America...nobody in the office, nothing to do, long lunch, maybe an afternoon workout...

Of course, I have no kids and my family was local and I'm a Jew, so I'm pretty much the perfect storm of not needing Christmastime off.