GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,215
3 members and 2,212 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
she's being racist from her post? are you serious? do you even know what that term means?

i think you're trying to hard to call someone racist, classless, tacky ect.
To automatically assume that I was talking about black organizations simply because I am white is stereotyping, which indeed, is racist.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laak 315 View Post
So then why is it so hard for these organizations to accept the fact that someone of another race wishes to be a part of them if it is the person seeking out the organization and not the other way around. If anything, it almost seems like these organizations should be somewhat flattered (maybe that's not the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now) that a person of a different race wishes to join their organization. That person obviously doesn't have a problem with diversity, whereas the organizations that push that person away simply because of their race very obviously have a problem with diversity.

so? why are you so invested in how a private organization handles it's membership selection? who are you to tell someone how they should operate and how their protocol should be handled?

so you think that because someone non-black wants to join a BGLO that it's black members should jump up for joy and be flattered?

well golly gee willikers, billy.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To automatically assume that I was talking about black organizations simply because I am white is stereotyping, which indeed, is racist.
how do you know it's because you were white? or is this one of those mythological conclusions that people somehow come to?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
So because a white person doesn't necessarily understand what you have been through (i.e. struggle), you are willing to hold that against them and not allow them to be a member of your organization that they obviously wish to be a part of? You say you don't understand why a white person would want to be part of a primarily black organization. There is one black person in my fraternity that is active right now and I can honestly say that none of my brothers has questioned him as to why he joined TKE. We are glad to have him because of what he offers and because he is an all-around great guy. Are you saying that a white person can't be for a cause that black people are for? That seems ludicrous to me. I know plenty of sororities on my campus that are predominantly white, yet have members of other races as sisters. It works out fine. Yet, if one of these "white" sororities denied membership to a woman of another race just because of her race, I guarantee you there would be so many lawsuits that your head would spin. Why is there such a double-standard for an organization that consists primarily of people of a race other than white? You can deny membership to your organization and it seems fine. If a sorority on my campus did that, they'd be sued/suspended/kicked off, etc...I'm just not understanding why there is a double-standard...
Yep all of that! And if a NPC turned down a person of color, honestly it wouldn't bother me, because you should be able to choose who you wnat in your private organization.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Please see me...

Quote:
I think it's both hilarious and yet distasteful at the same time that you automatically think I am talking about black fraternities and sororities. That's quite racist of you to do so if you ask me, since you don't know what race(s) I was talking about. (It was not an African-American fraternity or sorority I was talking about btw.) Nowhere in my post did I address the organizations as "black" or "African-American". I addressed them as "races other than caucasian", so you are very clearly putting words in my mouth, which shows a lack of taste and class. As for you not caring about my "view on what is happening on my campus", you very obviously do care, otherwise you wouldn't have responded to my posting and started attacking it and me personally. As for "black people who are United States citizens not having the freedom to associate with whomever they chose", I would like to thank you for validating my point exactly. They do indeed have that right because it is easier for organizations of another race (notice again, I did not state "African-American") other than caucasian to exclude membership to caucasians than it is for a predominantly caucasian organization to exclude membership to "non-caucasians." How many times have I already stated this in this thread? I never invalidated your sorority...once again you are putting words in my mouth that clearly haven't been spoken, which is also distasteful. I am starting to believe you are just trying to get a rise out of me. Unfortunately for you, I know how to hold a civilized debate so that will not happen. I asked a simple question which to the best of my knowledge, STILL has not been answered. If you don't remember the question, it regards the double-standard. You seem to have some serious defense issues since you keep stating that I am making personal attacks on you when I am clearly not. I am making attacks on organizations that are clearly racist for not accepting people of other races into their fraternity/sorority just because they "wouldn't fit in because of their race." (This includes predominantly caucasian organizations, predominantly black organizations, predominantly indian organizations, predominantly asian organizations, etc...) As for you stating that what is happening on my campus is not happening on other campuses, that may be true. (It's not since I know two larger universities in my state that have similar problems) But, because it is happening on MY campus, I have a right to speak up and let people know that it IS happening. "So basically, we have yet to care what you think or your opinions." You don't have to care what I think. You don't have to change how your organization recruits or accepts new members. But it's precisely this attitude that makes your organization come across as racist. If that's fine by you then that's fine by me and we'll have no problems. Unfortunately, if my fraternity had this attitude/viewpoint, we'd be sued and/or kicked off campus. I guess that's the difference between our organizations.
Please Private Message me if you have any personal issues with me. I tire of skirting personal frivolous discussions such as these issues on a public on line message board.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Fair enough, fair enough...this could go on for awhile without getting anywhere so it's best we end it now. Nobody answered my question about a double-standard and it doesn't look like anyone will. That's fine. I have no problem with that. Maybe the question is un-answerable. You're not going to change my opinion on the matter and I'm not going to change how your organizations look at certain people and accept or reject certain people for whatever reasons. No big deal. That's what makes organizations different. If we were all the same, we'd all have the same letters on our chest and college campuses would be boring places as it pertains to greek affairs. Reds, you're right...we should be able to accept and reject whoever we want for whatever reason without facing penalties. Unfortunately certain groups can't do that without legal action being taken against them. I guess that's just a burden we have to carry. No matter though. If organizations are happy with how they look at certain people and how they treat certain people, more power to them. That's their choice and their right.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
well golly gee willikers, billy.
my name's not billy, but it's a decent guess I suppose...
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
But we don't recruit members.
Actually, yes we do, albeit not in the formal sense of the word.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

if you do not formally recruit, what does the recruitment process entail?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
my name's not billy, but it's a decent guess I suppose...
Laak, please take Starang's posts with a grain of salt; he is accustomed to making personal attacks on people who doesn't agree with his viewpoints.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post
Laak, please take Starang's posts with a grain of salt; he is accustomed to making personal attacks on people who doesn't agree with his viewpoints.
no harm done...as I said, it was a decent guess...
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
if you do not formally recruit, what does the recruitment process entail?
In the sense that we do not seek out individuals to join our orgs, we do not recruit. But in the sense that we expose ourselves to the public via community and campus-based service projects, we recruit.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShamikaT
Someone deleted my post.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

gotcha.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

But how do you take care of things like dues, housing, etc...if you don't actively recruit people who help pay for that? Wouldn't it be possible to eventually lose all members/stop gaining new members since there is no formal recruitment? The money could run out if you stop gaining members.