GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,026
2 members and 1,024 guests
Titchou, zabryashulze790

Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Northwestern University To Investigate Sexuality course's "Live Sex Show"

Northwestern University officials have pledged to get to the bottom of an incident that took place earlier this week involving a popular human sexuality course and a device infelicitously called the "fucksaw." Here's what happened: During an optional after-class presentation on campus, professor John Michael Bailey, a 21-year-veteran of Northwestern's psychology department, allowed a guest lecturer to give a live demonstation of the instrument when a video depicting female orgasm was not considered realistic enough......
http://slatest.slate.com/id/2287235/?wpisrc=newsletter
http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/cam...tion-1.2504201
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Well, damn......LOL...I can't get over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Ken Melvoin-Berg asked the audience if they were "ready for a live sex show," and with 120 people watching, called up two paid performers to enlighten the crowd. At this point, the Daily Northwestern says, a "naked non-student woman [was] repeatedly sexually stimulated to the point of orgasm." Melvoin-Berg doesn't get what the big deal is, but distressed university administrators have launched an investigation into the matter, and in a statement released today, Northwestern President Morton Schapiro said the incident reflected "extremely poor judgment on the part of our faculty member." Students, however, don't seem too put out. "It is probably something I will remember the rest of my life," a 21-year-old senior told the Chicago Tribune. "I can't say that about my Econ 202 class and the material that I learned there."
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know...

On one hand, I find it hard to believe that a group of college students needed paid performers to help them understand what an orgasm is. On the other hand, it was an optional, after-class event.

I'm trippin @ "fucksaw" though.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM

I think most of those classes are okay and are taught responsibly. I do feel this particular activity was out of line.

As for my own class experience, I thought a human sexuality class would be alright to take as one of my nursing pre-req's. The instructor was not a "faculty" member and was a part time lecturer and had a primary full time job off campus.

Anywho, she required that we attend a drag queen contest downtown as part of the "alternative lifestyle" section of the class. I didnt feel comfortable with that or felt like I had to attend such a show in order to try to understand that lifestyle/lifestyle choice so I dropped the class and chose another one.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

LOL @ fucksaw

@ knight_shadow
The optional and after-class part don't matter either. What faculty do within the context of their role as faculty will always be placed under scrutiny by the institution. It's the institution's interests that must be protected. All you need is one angry student, parent, and/or community member for something to reflect poorly on an institution.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
@ knight_shadow
The optional and after-class part don't matter either. What faculty do within the context of their role as faculty will always be placed under scrutiny by the institution. It's the institution's interests that must be protected. All you need is one angry student, parent, and/or community member for something to reflect poorly on an institution.
True, but (@ the bold) that happens even with "tame" topics. But this is why I'm still on the fence about this.

This kind of reminds me of a situation that happened at Tarleton State University. The drama department wanted to put on a production depicting Jesus as a homosexual. After receiving threats, the school shut down the production. The event wasn't required by any class and was being held in the evening. My line of thinking is "if you don't want to see it, don't go." I suppose that could be applied to the fucksaw situation, but again, I don't know if it was necessary for the professor to go that far to make his point.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Why did I have to google that term? Do. Not. Want.

And yeah ........ it really is a modified saw .......
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
True, but (@ the bold) that happens even with "tame" topics. But this is why I'm still on the fence about this.
Yes, so that's why faculty have to be careful and smart. People will complain over anything so don't give them something to really complain about. This faculty member was stupid for putting his reputation on the line just to teach collegiates about a "fucksaw."

Quote:
This kind of reminds me of a situation that happened at Tarleton State University. The drama department wanted to put on a production depicting Jesus as a homosexual. After receiving threats, the school shut down the production. The event wasn't required by any class and was being held in the evening. My line of thinking is "if you don't want to see it, don't go." I suppose that could be applied to the fucksaw situation, but again, I don't know if it was necessary for the professor to go that far to make his point.
LOL. There are some colleges and universities that would not oppose to such a play and that's based on how supportive the students, alum, and surrounding community would be.

However, if it is sponsored by the drama department then it is part of the university. Even hosting such a play off campus would reflect on the university if it is known that it is Tarleton State University's department that supports the play. A great deal of autonomy is lost when we work for others. We can get away with some things but should not be surprised that we can't get away with everything.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to Barbie's Rush, I googled the term. Sadly, I was already familiar with that tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
However, if it is sponsored by the drama department then it is part of the university. Even hosting such a play off campus would reflect on the university if it is known that it is Tarleton State University's department that supports the play. A great deal of autonomy is lost when we work for others. We can get away with some things but should not be surprised that we can't get away with everything.
Sidebar, but I think that takes away from the college experience. A lot of the useful knowledge is obtained outside of the classroom. Being able to see different perspectives before taking a stance on something is invaluable, and that's something that can be picked up with controversial plays/lectures/whatever. If (general) you want your children to adhere to your line of thinking and not have any outside influences, 1) don't send them to college and 2) good luck having them succeed in the real world.

/rant

Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know...

On one hand, I find it hard to believe that a group of college students needed paid performers to help them understand what an orgasm is. On the other hand, it was an optional, after-class event.
<cynical snark>
I fully believe that a room full of college students needed help to understand what and how an actual female orgasm is achieved.
</cynical snark>
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
female orgasm

That picture was easier to find than, well,...

Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sadly, I was already familiar with that tool.
Of course you were. LOL. Sad for whom? Did you "FAIL at FUCKSAW?"

Quote:
Sidebar, but I think that takes away from the college experience. A lot of the useful knowledge is obtained outside of the classroom. Being able to see different perspectives before taking a stance on something is invaluable, and that's something that can be picked up with controversial plays/lectures/whatever. If (general) you want your children to adhere to your line of thinking and not have any outside influences, 1) don't send them to college and 2) good luck having them succeed in the real world.

/rant
It isn't a college's job to educate students on all of the incidentals of life. Smart faculty know that and let students research some things on their own, even if those things are related to something discussed in class. Melvoin-Berg should've known better. He could've even talked about the fucksaw without delving that far. Students are smart and resourceful when they feel like being smart and resourceful and they know how to research if they want a fucksaw fuck.

And, again, "outside of the classroom" doesn't include anything that happens on campus or off campus but involving faculty and staff. Faculty can't even go to Bahama Breeze and see a student without becoming "the professor who likes to eat wings and tequila shots at Bahama Breeze on the weekends."
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My mind segued into "How much fuck would a fucksaw fuck..."

I have nothing else to contribute, now LOL

Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
My mind segued into "How much fuck would a fucksaw fuck..."

I have nothing else to contribute, now LOL
"If a fucksaw could sawfuck...."

Yeah, we're done. LOL.