GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,115
3 members and 1,112 guests
ajanessshulze31, flamboyanttree, g41965

Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Rushing as a Fifth Year senior

Last edited by FifthYear; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

You won't know until you try! Yes, as a fifth year you might not have as many invitations as other, younger PNMs. You might make new friends and find a chapter, no one can say for sure. But we can safely tell you that you won't know if you don't try.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with ISK.
You've posted sufficient identifiable information for people to be able to figure out who you are. I'd recommend that you edit your post.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I am always curious when people say, "I always wanted to rush" but here it is five years later and it still didn't happen. If you wanted to, why didn't you? I don't want or need an answer, but it's a fairly legit question you might be asked during recruitment.

In some schools, being 23 or 24 years old and a new member, would be very strange. At other schools, it wouldn't cause a blink. Only someone familiar with the campus could know. Personally, as a fifth year senior, I would not be all that interested in mandatory meetings, study hours, mixers with 18 year olds away from home for the first time, etc. but as others have said, if you really want it, the only way to know is try. Good luck! I always root for PNMs to find a home!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Just like the other posters, I feel that it's ok to give it a try as long as you understand that you may not receive a bid.

I had rushed as a sophomore and received a bid to a sorority I really liked; but, I ended up withdrawing after my mother fell ill. Later, my mother ended up passing away. After things settled down in my life, I rushed again as a 5th year senior with just two semesters left. I knew my chances weren't good; but, I wanted to participate because I wanted to do it for myself. I was willing to consider all of the sororities and not just the one that had bid me earlier. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me, I did not receive a bid that second time, I graduated from college without having gone Greek and I was OK with that. Truth be told, I am glad that I signed up and tried again - I have no regrets. As you can see from my signature line, I did end up where I belonged eventually; but, that's another story for another day!

Best wishes to you as you make your decision.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 08-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The last three semesters of nursing school are not very conducive to pledging. Most sorority members in your position are looking to wind down their responsibilities as school is so demanding. Clinicals require so much time that only the most organized sisters can effectively do both well. Actually being a NM during this time would be rather difficult if a chapter actually gave you the chance to do it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

You'll never know unless you try. The worst they can do is not extend you a bid, and even if that happens, you may make some new friends in the process.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthYear View Post
Hi! I am starting my fifth year at WKU. I am a nursing student and still have three semesters left. I have always wanted to rush but been apprehensive. Now I still really want to but I'm afraid I won't get any bids because of my age and the fact that I only have three semesters left. Any advice on if I should rush or not? I emailed Greek Affairs at my school and she said I should try to rush. I asked an AOPi and she said they don't consider anyone over a sophomore. I asked an ADPi and she said if its something I want to do, I should try it. I'm just afraid I'll go through rush and not get any bids I want or not get any at all!
Quote:
Well I'm actually only going to be taking classes on Mondays and Tuesdays this semester so the rest of the week will be free for work, studying, and hopefully a sorority. I've been afraid to rush alone (none of my friends have any desire to) ever since I was a freshman and now I finally realize rushing without friends may be the best way to gain new ones. I'm obviously still very apprehensive of it, but you're only an undergrad once and my opportunity to even go through rush is almost over. So don't you think sororities would at least listen to that and give me a chance?
Fifth: it works both ways, in order for them to give you a chance, you should give all of the sororities (and not just the ones you want) a chance.

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As a fifth year, you will not have a typical recruitment. You may only get a few invitations back after the first round, but please keep in mind that these are the chapters willing to take the time to get to know you despite only being able to be an active member for 3 semesters. If you are not able to have an open mind about every chapter on campus, then you may not be as successful as you'd like.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
The only guarantee is that if you don't rush, you won't get a bid.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

You probably won't get a bid, but worth a shot. Just be open to every single sorority.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've heard that newer sororities accept older members more. My best friend is a founding member of phi mu at her school and she said they would have no problem accepting a fifth year senior with three semesters to go since they are still establishing their chapter. My school just got an AXD chapter in Jan. 2012. I've never even heard of this soro at my school, but I am very open to the idea of any soroity, if I fit in well with them. Since they are so new, would they probably be more willing to consider an older PNM? At this point I am going to go through rush, I'm just trying to get an idea of my chances to hopefully not end up disappointed.
Your friend shouldn't of told you that. Her school is her school and your school is your school, they are not the same and she does not have a crystal ball. No one on GC can tell you your chances, if you've decided to rush then just calm down and enjoy, what will be, will be.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When a group colonizes, it usually will want a cross section of members from all classes so the whole chapter isn't all freshmen. they will take some in each class. Other than that, they try to just repopulate from the bottom. On campuses where there is a separate upperclass quota, your chances "may" be better but the chapters are not required to fill this quota.

No one can tell you what your particular chances are except that they are totally 0, nil, nada, etc if you don't try.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I know each school is different about that. That's why I asked on here. To see if new chapters generally have that attitude or not. I'm honestly pretty calm about it now, I was just wondering if that was a common attitude of newer chapters.
When a group colonizes, they tend to select a decent number of upperclassmen. However, once they have colonized, they would most likely take what is common for their campus. But that is just a generalization. Alpha Xi Delta colonizing in 2012 most likely has zero effect on them taking upperclassmen in 2013. Good luck to you.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have tried to avoid making this comment but here it goes: it sounds from your posts that you are only interested in the new chapter or certain ones. In your situation you CANNOT be picky. You will need to consider ALL chapters on campus, regardless of reputation. If you are not willing to accept a bid from ANY chapter on campus, you will be disappointed. You are not in the drivers' seat like a first year student would be. You may be an amazing young woman, but you are facing a less than ideal situation. Your invitation list will have nothing to do with how intelligent or socially adept you are; your invitation list will be based on which chapters are wiling to use a bid spot on a member who will only be active three semesters. If you are truly interested in sisterhood, give each WKU chapter a fair chance. Each chapter there has something to offer and will give you an incredible alumnae opportunity after you graduate.