GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,002
1 members and 1,001 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do GLO's abbreviate their names?

Hi! I know nothing about GLO's, I've never been in one, but Pop Culture bombards us with images and stereotypes of them constantly, and one thing I constantly notice is how GLO names get shortened and I don't understand how or why.

1) In Friends, Rachel passes some girls at Ross' University and says, " Hey, there go some Kappa Kappa Deltas! I was a Kappa!"
2) In Black Christmas, the sorority is Alpha Kappa Gamma but they answer the phone 'Alpha Kappa?'.
3) In Animal House, the fraternity is Delta Tau Chi but they call it Delta house.
4) In Scream II, characters call sisters of Delta Lambda Zeta, Delta Lambda's.
5) In "that" book Pledged, we hear about Beta Pi and Alpha Rho - what were they short for?

So, I get the concept of giving your GLO a nickname or whatever, but why do they all do it differently? If you were talking about Delta Lambda Zeta and called it Delta house, no one would who you were talking about, right? Or how do you when someone answers the phone "Alpha Kappa?" that they're not actually Alpha Kappa Alpha or even Alpha Kappa Psi?

Uh, thanks for listening to me ramble
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Uhm...

so its shorter
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Uhm...

so its shorter
But why don't they all follow the same system? Read the question...
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2maticPrncess View Post
So, I get the concept of giving your GLO a nickname or whatever, but why do they all do it differently?
They don't. Pretty much every GLO has a "standard" nickname, or maybe a couple of standard nicknames. If you're familiar with the real names, you'd probably be familiar with the shortened names/nickames. For example, you'd know that Kappa Sigma is "Kappa Sig," Kappa Alpha Theta is "Theta," Beta Theta Pi is "Beta," Chi Omega is "Chi O," etc. There are a few times that there can be the possiblity of confusion -- for example "Kappa" could be Kappa Kappa Gamma (an NPC sorority) or Kappa Alpha Psi (an NPHC fraternity). Context usually makes it clear.

When it comes to the fictional GLOs you've described, they're just making it up as they go along.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-22-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 09-22-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

For your #5, we know that they are ficticious houses. They could just be "Alpha Rho" and "Beta Pi" and that's it.

Say your name was Melissa. You decide you want to be called Mel, so that's what you tell people. You know someone else named Melissa, but she prefers to go by Lissa. There's not necessarily a rhyme or reason why houses shorten their names. Another for instance- my best friend is a Delta Gamma. Well, two names that they go by are DG (Dee Gee) and Delta Gam. There's no formula or anything. Most of the time, it just is.

Oh, and also, what Elephant Walk said.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
or Kappa Alpha Theta (an NPHC fraternity). Context usually makes it clear.
Kappa Alpha Theta is an NPC org.

I think you mean Kappa Alpha Psi which is the NPHC fraternity that goes by Kappa (think prettyboy lol)
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
When it comes to the fictional GLOs you've described, they're just making it up as they go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
There's no formula or anything. Most of the time, it just is.
So there really is no system or proper way to do it, everybody does it differently.

I got it, thank u for your answers everybody
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta is an NPC org.

I think you mean Kappa Alpha Psi which is the NPHC fraternity that goes by Kappa (think prettyboy lol)
I did mean Kappa Alpha Psi. Too many distractions. Thanks for the correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2maticPrncess View Post
So there really is no system or proper way to do it, everybody does it differently.
The "proper" way to do it is to use the nickname(s) each particular organization, for its own reasons, prefers.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I've long wondered why Gamma Phi Beta never became the Gammas. We are the only NPC that starts with Gamma, so that would be an obvious choice - but we are Gamma Phis. Hmmm . . .
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've long wondered why Gamma Phi Beta never became the Gammas. We are the only NPC that starts with Gamma, so that would be an obvious choice - but we are Gamma Phis. Hmmm . . .
One of my sisters kept trying to call them "Gammas" on our campus, and I was like, "Nooo, that's not just what they're called!" She also tried to call Theta Chi "Theta." I realize we don't have a KAO chapter at my school but...oy!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

You all actually tried to answer the question.

Yikes.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard Alpha Chi Omega called both A Chi O and Alpha Chi. Is this a time-frame or location thing?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I always wondered why Kappa Kappa Gamma got "Kappa" while Kappa Alpha Theta got "Theta" and KAT was founded before KKG. I would figure that Theta would have gone with Kappa as a nickname.
I've always wondered this too! I have heard ramblings that KKG was "developed" before KAT, (there is a lot of speculation on the actual founding date) so that could be a possibility. Or maybe it has something to do with the meaning of the theta vs. the kappa in their names. It would be interesting to know who started the nicknames and when.

Last edited by chitown; 09-22-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: bothered by my own punctuation issues
Old 09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown View Post
I've always wondered this too! I have heard ramblings that KKG was "developed" before KAT, (there is a lot of speculation on the actual founding date) so that could be a possibility. Or maybe it has something to do with the meaning of the theta vs. the kappa in their names. It would be interesting to know who started the nicknames and when.
The Kappa for KKG makes sense I think because there are two Kappas in the name. KAT must be that the theta has some kind of special significance, or so I think.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gam is actually one of the trademarks we own.

As for why they are not "Gammas", it could be that they don't want it shortened even more to "Gams", which is slang for "legs"?