GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,368
0 members and 2,368 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Cousin's recruitment

Since the recruitment stories have calmed down and I have lots of time now that I’m sick, I thought I’d share my cousin’s story.

My cousin went through recruitment last fall at a large state school. She is a legacy to 2 sororities through her grandmother and mother, but neither are at her school. She has aunts in 2 of the sororities, cousins in 2 other sororities at different schools, and knows several girls from high school/other activities. Since she has so many family members in sororities, she has an idea of how recruitment works and was excited to find a home of her own.
I’m basically copying her notes from a journal she kept during recruitment (which she gave to me with permission to share her story), which is why all the notes are written in present tense.

Since she is a dancer, I will call her Jete and the 10 sororities will be coded with names of dance movies.

Billy Elliot
Black Swan
Center Stage
Dirty Dancing
Flash Dance
Footloose
Save the Last Dance
Shall We Dance?
Step Up
The Turning Point

There are four rounds:
Welcome (all 10 over 2 days)
Philanthropy (up to 8)
House Tours (up to 6)
Preference (up to 3)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1A:
Flash Dance-So much fun! Jete meet several amazing girls. One awkward conversation at the end, but overall, a great way to start off recruitment!
Dirty Dancing- Jete also had fun here. Not sure if she could see herself here, but she willing to give it a second chance since she knows a girl from home here.
Black Swan- This was kind of a letdown after the first two parties. She just didn’t have much in common with the two girls she talked to. Also, the smiley faces over the girls’ hands in several of the pictures in the slide show didn’t fool her.
Center Stage- This party was also just alright to her. The slideshow made it seem like they have fun (but there were no smileys or other things covering the girls’ hands). In her opinion, their clothes seemed a little inappropriate for rush, but she did have good conversations and shared several of the same interests with the girls.
Step Up- Loves these girls! Jete could totally see herself being best friends with them. Lots of similar interests, and she even met a girl with her major! She really hopes to be invited back.

Day 1B:
Shall We Dance?- Jete didn’t really have a great time at this party. Girls were pretty awkward and she could see why there was a lot of negative talk about them. They just got a new house and she would like to see more of it.
Footloose-This is another struggling chapter. Girls were nice enough, but she knows this place isn’t for her.
Billy Elliot- Love. Totally in love. Great girls, fun conversations, interests match, several girls with her major, not to mention the house was beautiful. Jete feels like she would fit right in.
The Turning Point-Jete couldn’t find much in common with these girls. Several other girls in her group liked them, so she feels like she should give them a second chance and try to meet more girls.
Save the Last Dance- Jete really likes these girls. She’s not sure if they’re her perfect fit, but she had a really good time here.

Day 1 rankings:
Billy Elliot
Step Up
Flash Dance
Save the Last Dance
Dirty Dancing
Center Stage
The Turning Point
Shall We Dance?
2) Black Swan
3) Footloose

Last edited by Pirouette; 03-15-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 schedule:
Black Swan
Dirty Dancing
Shall We Dance?
Billy Elliot
Step Up
Footloose
Center Stage
Save the Last Dance

Jete was not too surprised to see that The Turning Point was gone, but sad and really confused that Flash Dance wasn’t on her schedule. She thought the party had gone well, but she was excited for a full schedule and willing to take a second look at Black Swan and Footloose.

Black Swan- Jete is still not feeling this house. She did the philanthropy craft with a girl with her major, but that was the only highlight of the party for her.
Dirty Dancing- This one is starting to grown on her. Jete had lots of fun again and would really like to return, and maybe even join.
Shall We Dance?-These girls are nice, just not for her. She still wants a tour of their house though.
Billy Elliot- Jete still loves this house. She had so much fun with these girls again and could really see herself helping out with their philanthropy.
Step Up- These girls blew her away today. She loves their passion and the philanthropy connects to her on a personal level. The girl she was paired up with today was so much fun and easily her favorite person she’s met all of recruitment. She really wants this girl to be her big sister.
Center Stage- Lots of girls love them, but she’s just not so sure. She’s having fun at their parties, but she wishes they would dress classier. If this is how they dress for recruitment, what would she be expected to wear to class every day?
Save the Last Dance- She was so tired by the time she got to this house, but the girls’ energy rubbed off on her and she had a good time. She could see why they were known for having bubbly blondes. She could possibly see herself here.

Day 2 Rankings:
Step Up
Billy Elliot
Save the Last Dance
Dirty Dancing
Center Stage
Shall We Dance?
2) Black Swan
3) Footloose
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm hooked!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Great start, nicely written! And THANK YOU for not stringing us along--you won't, will you?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM

You've missed a description for Footloose on day 2... but I'm guessing she still wasn't feeling them.

Loving the story so far. Do go on.......
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay- recruitment story, recruitment story!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

So excited to read this one
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

This story was the perfect end to my day after ballet class
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Great start, nicely written! And THANK YOU for not stringing us along--you won't, will you?
Should be done by today. I stopped yesterday when my sister called to talk about the Bachlor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
You've missed a description for Footloose on day 2... but I'm guessing she still wasn't feeling them.

Loving the story so far. Do go on.......
I just went back through her notes and the reason I didn't write anything for Footloose is that she didn't have any notes for them. I imagine it wasn't that great for her if she still ranked them last.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 Schedule:
Shall We Dance?
Save the Last Dance
Billy Elliot
Black Swan
Center Stage
Step Up

Jete was glad to see that Footloose is gone, but a little disappointed that Dirty Dancing hadn’t invited her back. But she still had a full schedule, filled with organizations she was excited to get to know even better.

Shall We Dance?-Jete was really excited to finally see their new house. It was really nice, but now that she had gotten the full tour, she didn’t really see any reason to keep them around. Nice girls, just not for her.
Save the Last Dance-Their house probably isn’t the prettiest from the outside, but she really liked the inside and the girls who lived in it. She could see herself here.
Billy Elliot- The house tour just made her fall in love more until her rusher said something that made her feel a little uneasy. It was the first time she started to question if Billy Elliot was right for her. But overall, it still was a favorite.
Black Swan- She just can’t seem to get rid of them. During the house tour, in one of the bedrooms, a girl had lined-up several different glassware with letters on them on her desk. She knows they’re not the place for her, and the tour definitely confirmed that.
Center Stage- Jete is actually starting to really like these girls. She is still not a fan of how they dress, but she has so much fun with these girls that she can overlook that.
Step Up- Save the best for last, right? Wrong. She still loves the girls but she could absolutely not see herself living in this house. The way the bedrooms are set-up scares her. Even though this was her favorite the night before, she hopes to drop it tonight.

Day 3 Rankings:
Billy Elliot
Save the Last Dance
Center Stage
2) Step Up
3) Black Swan
4) Shall We Dance?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 Schedule:
Save the Last Dance
Billy Elliot
Step Up

Jete is really upset not to see Center Stage just when she finally starting to liked them. They were very different from how she was like in high school, but she was open to change in college. She was happy to see Billy Elliot as well as Save the Last Dance. And she had really liked Step Up up until the previous night, so she was willing to give them a second chance. Maybe she would just never live in the house if the let her.

Save the Last Dance- Loved this house tonight. The girl who preffed her was amazing and the ceremony was very touching to her. She even cried (but she’s the kind of person who cries very easily). At the end, she knew would have to make a hard choice because these girls and the organization as a whole were so wonderful.
Billy Elliot- Somehow the girl who preffed her was the girl she had talked to yesterday and left a bad taste in her mouth. The girl still seemed a little distracted and again, said some things that just did not sit well with her. She loved the ceremony and cried again. She loved this house all week, and there’s bound to be a girl in every group that you don’t get along with, right?
Step Up- Jete loves these girls and everything the sorority does with their philanthropy, but she just cannot get past the whole bedroom thing. There are still so many girls who are in love with them though and she’d hate to take the place of someone who could really see themselves here. She would give them a chance though if she got a bid.

As she walked over to do her rankings, she talked to a couple of other girls who were also leaving Step Up’s party. They discussed where they had been that day and how they were going to rank. When she said she was thinking of ranking Save the Last Dance first, they immediately told her she would never get in or even fit in, after all she was a brunette, not a blonde and it was weird that she had even made it this far with them. They both agreed she would be much happier in Billy Elliot. So when they finally sat down and did their rankings, she ranked:

1) Billy Elliot
2) Save the Last Dance
3) Step Up

As soon as she walked out of the room she knew she had made a mistake and she should have ranked Save the Last Dance first. She went back in and asked her Rho Chi if she could change her rankings, but her Rho Chi said no because they had already been submitted in the computer and then assured her that she would end-up where she belongs.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

can't wait to find out where she ends up!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

arugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

After a full day of classes it was finally time to get her bid. She hadn’t received a phone call, so she knew she would soon be a member of Billy Elliot, Save the Last Dance, or Step Up. All were great organizations over all as well as on her campus. But secretly, she hoped that she would end-up with her “second” choice. Finally they could open their bids.
1…
2…
3…

Save the Last Dance!
Better known as DELTA DELTA DELTA!

Her two friends from the night before that she had hung out with all day went Step Up and Black Swan.

Today she is an initiated member or Delta Delta Delta and loves every second of it.