GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,643
2 members and 1,641 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Letters of Recommendation

I am a high school senior and plan on attending my college's fall formal recruitment next year. My university suggest getting letters of recommendation from an Alumna for each house because their rush is very competitive. Their website says to get the letters from local Panhellenic Alumnae associations but there is not one for my area. How do I get the letters without the aid of an Alumnae association? Do I need to find an Alumna from each sorority on my own?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiLy View Post
I am a high school senior and plan on attending my college's fall formal recruitment next year. My university suggest getting letters of recommendation from an Alumna for each house because their rush is very competitive. Their website says to get the letters from local Panhellenic Alumnae associations but there is not one for my area. How do I get the letters without the aid of an Alumnae association? Do I need to find an Alumna from each sorority on my own?
Do you know ANY sorority women? Start with the ones you already know, from church or your teachers or whatever else. You can ask them for leads on the other chapters, and some of them may give you introductions.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

And to expand on that, if you don't think you know sorority women, you're probably wrong...ask around and you'll be surprised. There are likely a lot of women in your life that are in sororities and many of them can as DeltaBetaBaby says can give you leads to other sorority women or alum chapters.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

But to answer your question, yes, there could be some real work on your part to get these recommendations handled. Start with your high school teachers. God knows, it seemed like half of my sorority was going into education. Second choice- nurses. Again, tons of nursing majors in the sororities. But ask everyone; you'll find a lot more than you think without having to really dig deep.

Also regarding the alumnae panhellenic, find out what the closest chapter to you is. You could also contact the Alumnae panhellenic in your college's city. They might be able to help you, or at least direct you to a more appropriate panhel group closer to you.

And remember, you are asking a FAVOR. Be nice in asking and send a thank you, and let them know your result after recruitment is over, even if it doesn't go as well as planned.