GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,702
0 members and 1,702 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

bump
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Another good way to think about it is like college admissions. If you didn't get invited back to one chapter - its probably not that they don't like you (they might not have had a chance to get to know you), its that they had someone else who they saw fit better into their program. They only have a certain number of spots.

Maybe it was GPA, maybe they already had friends or a sister in the chapter, maybe they had awesome rec letters, but there was someone else that fit better than you. If you are going to school out of state or a first generation rushing - just like job applications, you have had less of an opportunity to advertise yourself before recruitment. Before dropping out completely its time to evaluate what your goals for joining a GLO are.

Was just to meet people? Or to network? You have already done that. Will they still be your friends if you bump into them in class - probably.

Was it to find a home a way from home and a support network as a freshman that can help you get accustomed to college life? Then you have to think about - those girls at the chapter that invited you back still offer that. They may not have been your favorite the first day - but they want YOU, they see something special in YOU that you can bring to their chapter. (Nobody always has the best first impression? right?) On the other hand, are you prepared to give what just having a group to belong to might offer for a year to try again?

Just like college admissions - if you don't get your top choice right off the bat, is it worth sitting out a year - knowing that you will have a very small chance of making it on the second try either? Or could you take your energy and be a star wherever you fit in?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Another good way to think about it is like college admissions. If you didn't get invited back to one chapter - its probably not that they don't like you (they might not have had a chance to get to know you), its that they had someone else who they saw fit better into their program. They only have a certain number of spots.

Maybe it was GPA, maybe they already had friends or a sister in the chapter, maybe they had awesome rec letters, but there was someone else that fit better than you. If you are going to school out of state or a first generation rushing - just like job applications, you have had less of an opportunity to advertise yourself before recruitment. Before dropping out completely its time to evaluate what your goals for joining a GLO are.

Was just to meet people? Or to network? You have already done that. Will they still be your friends if you bump into them in class - probably.

Was it to find a home a way from home and a support network as a freshman that can help you get accustomed to college life? Then you have to think about - those girls at the chapter that invited you back still offer that. They may not have been your favorite the first day - but they want YOU, they see something special in YOU that you can bring to their chapter. (Nobody always has the best first impression? right?) On the other hand, are you prepared to give what just having a group to belong to might offer for a year to try again?

Just like college admissions - if you don't get your top choice right off the bat, is it worth sitting out a year - knowing that you will have a very small chance of making it on the second try either? Or could you take your energy and be a star wherever you fit in?
Wonderful analogy!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping -- good reading material for the new people.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

PNMs don't care about the process as much as you think

At my school we use Alumni Rho Gammas and I have done it for the past five years and I am rarely asked how it all works. It makes me think the PNMs don't really care...or at least the y don't know they should care about the MS process.

From a Panhellenic standpoint I am pretty honest and tell all the women that they have some say but the decision ultimately lies with the sorority (especially in low quote schools).
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM

^^^That may be so at your school, but I think we're talking more about competitive recruitments and schools where PNMs do in fact, care.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

bump - it's that time of year!

ΑΓΔ
Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link regarding recruitment, not getting invited back to your favorite chapter and how to deal with it and the proper way to behave:

http://www.yoursororitysister.org/gu...y-recruitment/
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

TTT--it's almost that time!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM

I wrote this quite some time ago. It is still true.

Man, I was once good at giving advice. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
As much as I love RFM and love the positive changes that it has made, one of the things that we've lost and is now hidden is the knowledge of all the actual invitations issued to the PNM. When the PNMs actually received their invitations, it was clear that ABC, DEF, and XYZ did or did not invite you back. There was no question about ranking XYZ lowest but getting invited back "because they wanted me more than my most favorite ABC so that's why I'm going back to XYZ instead of ABC". The PNM physically had the evidence in her hands that ABC did in fact not invite her back.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Is that really part of RFM though? Did rushees at huge systems like Alabama actually get individual physical invitations for each round? That seems like a huge amount of work.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

We did at FSU with 18 sororities at the time. And it was hand bid matching-God bless those dedicated alums!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

WE had the old computer punch cards and green/white printouts in the 60s at Alabama.