GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,041
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, aveesyyandexty4
» Online Users: 1,522
4 members and 1,518 guests
aveesyyandexty4, MSKKG

Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal Recruitment Attire (For Actives, not PNMs)

Okay so I figured I'd start a thread where you could either describe what your chapter has worn thoughout the stages in previous recruitments, or give suggestions and ideas of what you think other chapters should consider wearing in the future!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it really varies by campus tradition. Some schools are way more laid back than others.

At UC Santa Cruz, here's what we did:
Day 1 - Panhellenic Go Greek shirts, jeans, heels/some nice shoes
Day 2 - This year, it was matching polos with black pants and heels. Last year, we had matching t-shirts and jeans. I think the polos looked a lot nicer.
Day 3 - Black dresses, heels, minimal jewelry and badge

Some schools won't let the chapters have identical articles of clothing. At Santa Clara, the girls had a theme of colors for each day.
Day 1 - Navy blue or white dresses with yellow accessories (ribbons, jewelry, shoes, whatever)
Day 2 - White or black outfits with red accessories
I'm not sure what they did for pref night because I wasn't there.

There's a thread with pictures of some chapters during recruitment.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 PM

What did your sorority wear for recruitment?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=wear

Recruitment pictures (pictures of chapter's outfits):

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...tment+pictures

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 1-Black dresses and pearls
Day 2-Jerseys/themed shirts (they changed year to year) and denim skirts/shorts/jeans
Day 3-Costumes depending on Theme Night skits. They recently changed their skit and it now includes every member in some form or fashion but previously members that did not actively participate wore khaki shorts and a white polo (without a logo was preferable) with the sorority flip flops
Day 4-Red dresses, pearls, badge.

On our campus it's also popular to have chapters wear the same color when attending the official fraternity parties on campus, though this sometimes backfires when either two chapters wear the same color on the same night or only one chapter shows up in the same color (which makes them look creepy). We also had polos with our letters on them and button downs with letters which we wore to campus sponsored events. On Bid Day we always wear our chapter jerseys.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Day 4-Red dresses, pearls, badge.
I imagine a red Pref is very striking.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
It is, I love the pictures my sisters take before preference on a historical campus staircase.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
It is, I love the pictures my sisters take before preference on a historical campus staircase.
We used to do a certain number of girls would wear red, a certain number would wear yellow or buff (depending on what they could find) and a certain number wearing green.

The red dresses for pref were a welcome change - we could buy one dress and it'd be great for other occasions, and we REALLY stood out from other chapters and other preference ceremonies. Although when I was a recent alum I seem to remember loaning my red dress to an active and I don't remember getting it back!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter tried to do white dresses this year, but I guess girls were having a hard time finding white dresses, so they switched back to black. Lame! It's not hard to find a nice white dress during the summer! I got one for convention a few years ago, and it's super cute.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
We almost went with girls in blue dresses for Pref last year, but got scared that it would look messy with too many shades of blue (like turquoise, etc). If it worked for red, though, it could work for blue...

All the groups on my campus have sisters wear black for Pref, usually with pearls. A change could make us stand out more, but black is so easy. It's flattering on anyone and makes you look instantly classy. Eh.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
We almost went with girls in blue dresses for Pref last year, but got scared that it would look messy with too many shades of blue (like turquoise, etc). If it worked for red, though, it could work for blue...
We do all blue dresses for 1st round. When we first started everyone had the same concerns you did, but it really looks great. There is variety in color shades and style to show individualism, yet it still looks cohesive. The best thing is it very memorable for overwhelmed PNMs. "Oh yeah, those girls in blue. I remember them!"

We tell the members what we want back in early spring so they have plenty of time to shop. No navy, prints, or sparkles/sequins, just a nice sun dress in a shade of medium blue. We have a few girls do a mini fashion show to provide examples. Also, the Recruitment team searches some of the more popular stores internet catalogs to give an easy way to buy exactly what we're looking for if they can't find one or don't want to take the time to look. Plus, since we've done the same style/theme for many years now, an active can use the same dress year after year.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We wear red dresses for Pref Party each year and it's my favorite day because we all just look so amazing!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post

All the groups on my campus have sisters wear black for Pref, usually with pearls. A change could make us stand out more, but black is so easy. It's flattering on anyone and makes you look instantly classy. Eh.
What we do is require everyone to find a Crayola red dress...and they are approved before Pref to make sure. It isn't easy to find, but since all the other chapters on campus use white or black for pref we aren't likely to ever change it (it stands out) so members can wear their dress every year. I had mine made for me because for whatever reason my first year on the other side of recruitment was a dry spell for bright red (because they must also be badge dress it can be hard to find a dress). It does make us easy to remember on pref night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
We do that too! (Take a picture on a historical campus staircase).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the dark ages, we did a sort of sky blue for pref.

Each girl chose a dress pattern to suit herself, and all the dresses were made up in the same material, which was ordered in bulk. You could have your dress made, or have your mom make it, and some of us made our own.

Sounds weird, but it turned out very well!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the chapters I advise switched to purple dresses for preference this year. (Dark, deep jewel-type purples, not lavendar or lilac purples.) It looked great! And, purple was a huge color last year, so it was pretty easy to find! I think they are going to stick with it.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there any other people on here who were in sororities that didn't do skits? None of the chapters at my school do skits so during that stage, at least in my chapter, we dress differently every year - it's like our wildcard stage!