GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,409
3 members and 2,406 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

A Question About Sorority Rush at UT Austin

Over the years, whenever I read about sorority life at the University of Texas at Austin, I would read about the connection of certain summer camps to certain chapters on campus. In short, a young woman who attended Camp Waldemar or Camp Mystic or Camp Longhorn has/had a better than average chance of receiving a bid to one of the Big Six sororities. Is the camp/sorority link-up an urban myth? Discuss
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
Over the years, whenever I read about sorority life at the University of Texas at Austin, I would read about the connection of certain summer camps to certain chapters on campus. In short, a young woman who attended Camp Waldemar or Camp Mystic or Camp Longhorn has/had a better than average chance of receiving a bid to one of the Big Six sororities. Is the camp/sorority link-up an urban myth? Discuss
Myth.

Most of these camps are for primary school aged kids, and have Jr. Councelors in that are in high school. While it exposes girls of a younger age to bonding in a co-ed environment, it might expose them early to the likeness of what it might be like to be in a sorority and those that enjoy it, might go on and do other female bonding activites throughout Jr. High and High School and continue that into college. My guess is too, that a lot of kids who attend these camps come from families that MIGHT have Greek background.

What I will say, however, is that a lot of these kids are Austin locals who all grow up together, these girls go on to rush, and rush their friends, etc. I have several friends that were in "Big Six" sororites, and not a one of them (and these are Austin locals) attended one of these camps.

Interesting topic, but I'm thinking urban legend.

Hook 'Em.

Last edited by TXAPhiGirl; 08-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Myth- and one I have never heard before. Where did you read these things Amicus?

UT, being a very prestigious state school with a long history of excellence, has many students who are related to alumni of previous generations. Naturally, some of these same kids will go to camps or engage in other UT related activities in youth as a result of their family's ties with the University. And some will go Greek if they end up going to UT.

Attending a UT summer camp in and of itself has no impact on a young lady getting into a sorority at Texas.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas Monthly September 1976, for one
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. Not saying you never read these things- just asking the question since I had not seen them before.

I can see how a publication aimed at the general public might try to create this association- not necessarily out of malice mind you- to give a bit of glamour to a story, but it is not quite the right way to look at it I think.

Texas, like many competitive southern state schools with a large number of legacies in GLOs and heavy attendance by state residents, has a Greek community heavily populated by members who are local (as in from Texas) and may have many local activities in common.

In this sense, going to a UT camp is the same as going to a certain high school or belonging to a certain country club when it comes to Greek membership.

Yes, one could look at the numbers and interpret some kind of direct correlation, but it is- in my opinion anyway- just further evidence of a social progression that exists in any situation where you have a relatively limited number of people spending much of their lives in a relatively limited geographic area.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I just want to clarify, camp longhorn is not actually associated with UT (at least not now, I dont know if it was)
Neither are either of the other two mentioned.

pi beta phi
Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
Texas Monthly September 1976, for one
I remember that story in Texas Monthly. It was a profile of "The Big Six", but that was years and years ago. My college roommate was from Austin and knew girls in almost every chapter so that and being just out of school (yep, I'm ancient) made the story interesting.

So much has changed since then, though. Several groups, not in the Big Six, have left campus and one group went on. While some things in the article may still be valid, I think you need to take its age into consideration when evaluating it as a source.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I tend to disagree a little bit. My daughter attended Campy Mystic and I can tell you that there are tons of sorority girls that work there during the summer that are in sororities. The camp also has campers through high school. The camp is set up a lot like a sorority- which was what initially drew me to the camp. Camp Mystic also has what they call M girls and I have been told that when sororities see this on a resume they know that the women has all the qualities of a good member. Being an M girl is a prestigious award at camp. You are living with these women for either a 1 month or 2 month term. They get to know you pretty well. I will also tell you that there was a post very recently on this forum that talked about UT/Camp connection here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115513
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Right. Again, here is what I will re-iterate.

When asked does a girl who attended one of these camps have a better shot at getting into a "Big Six" sorority than a girl who does not, I will say Myth.

Now, going to this camp and getting exposure to the sorority girls is wonderful. I am very familiar with Camp Mystic and Camp Longhorn and can tell you, if I see something like that on their rec, it is nice to know that they have qualities that can be similiar to sorority life. Here's the thing. If camp is the ONLY thing they've done, I would strongly worry about them socially, as it looks like they took no interest in their peers throughout high school.

Again, it ALL goes back to the quality of that girl. If she went to camp and is a demon on wheels, no one will want her, regardless of her pedigree. I also have seen some big chapters take girls who had NO legacy, small town, down home girls who were some of the nicest women you could meet.

I think at the end of the day, it's a nice thing to put on a rec.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAPhiGirl View Post
Right. Again, here is what I will re-iterate.

When asked does a girl who attended one of these camps have a better shot at getting into a "Big Six" sorority than a girl who does not, I will say Myth.

Now, going to this camp and getting exposure to the sorority girls is wonderful. I am very familiar with Camp Mystic and Camp Longhorn and can tell you, if I see something like that on their rec, it is nice to know that they have qualities that can be similiar to sorority life. Here's the thing. If camp is the ONLY thing they've done, I would strongly worry about them socially, as it looks like they took no interest in their peers throughout high school.

Again, it ALL goes back to the quality of that girl. If she went to camp and is a demon on wheels, no one will want her, regardless of her pedigree. I also have seen some big chapters take girls who had NO legacy, small town, down home girls who were some of the nicest women you could meet.

I think at the end of the day, it's a nice thing to put on a rec.
Totally agree with this post. Are the big 6 the Chapters that have been on campus the longest or is there something else that distinguishes them?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The big six are some of the oldest sororities at UT. They were enshrined with that title by a Texas Monthly writer in 1976.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Totally agree with this post.
Good deal- you and I are on the same page too then- I was scratching my head earlier. TXAPhiGirl did a much better job of expressing what I was trying to say.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Bottom line about girls camps like Mystic and Waldemar, boys camps like La Junta and Stewart, and co-ed camps like Longhorn, is that you will meet a large circle of people, and get to know them extremely well after spending a month or more of your summer, year after year.

Many of these people will end up going to UT, and many of those kids will pledge. It always helps to know people going into the process, people who are willing to vouch for you, and, if need be, fight for you.

BUT, same goes for attending schools with kids year after year, playing sports with kids, etc. etc.

What trumps all that is coming in with a sparkling personality, a polished appearance and a great attitude.

So, No, you don't have to attend those camps, but it doesn't hurt. Get involved - get to know people - make a good impression.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Also, knowing girls from camp doesn't ALWAYS work in the PNMs favor.

If they were "that annoying girl' at camp, knowing Tanya Theta from camp isn't going to help them much. It's actually going to work against you.

Same with knowing a bunch of girls from school. That's great, if these girls actually like you. You can know a lot of girls from school in sororities, but if you were "that girl with a reputation" in HS or something, it's not going to help you. They're going to be like "yeah, we know Suzy, but she was that girl who *fill in the blank*"

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Could attending camp be an effect rather than the cause? Rather, is going to these prestigious camps something that the women destined for the Big Six do anyway? Or, if a middle class family manages to send their Average Amy to camp, she actually is more likely to pledge a Big Six chapter? (Assuming of course that Amy got along well with the other campers.)