GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,634
2 members and 1,632 guests
Sarak24034

Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Insurance???

For the past few years my sorority has been using an insurance policy provided by the school but we are told that next year we are being required to find our own policy. The insurance company we were using is very expensive and were a small group right now. So I was wondering what insurance companies other locals are using. And if anyone has any advise for us.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump...

My question is this. Why not form a Local Greeks Council? Locals across the country could join if they meet requirements (GPA, Philanthropy, University Recognition, etc) Obviously, this would require a LOT of alumni/ae volunteering at first from each organization. Wouldn't this maybe help lower the cost of insurance for Locals if a National Locals Council were to be formed that you could buy the policy from? Is that even possible?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPezY60 View Post
National Locals Council
Swerving here (I'm not in a local):

From what I understand, the reason many people join locals is so they don't have to deal with a national presence. Wouldn't creating a National Locals Council contradict that? What would be the appeal of joining a local if it was run the same way as a national organzation?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't see it that way. I would see it more like local businesses who become members of their local Chamber of Commerce. A council for locals would merely set standards and having your local be a part of it would only enhance the organization. It would merely be like a recognition. "We are a local organization that not only exceeds university standards but also is recognized by a national council for local orgs."

Local orgs face different challenges than nationals- universities are forcing most to go national, require additional liability insurance, and more. Forming a council would connect locals to other locals & create a network of support to navigate through these challenges.

I would hope that it would never be a "governing" body other than to require the Local orgs to have university recognition (therefore meet all of their university GPA, Philanthropy & membership requirements). Possibly each region could have a conference each summer to network and have workshops to improve themselves.

Obviously....it was/is an idea...that would obviously need fine tuning if it were actually to happen.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I just remember asking this question before but never received a response. It seems to me (from conversations with members of locals) that the appeal of being in a local is "not having to answer to anyone but ourselves." Obviously, in order for an umbrella organization to offer insurance to its member organizations, there will be rules that said organizations would have to follow.

I never thought of the CoC analogy, though.

Good stuff

Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that being local is more than that. I think locals form for a lot of different reasons and sometimes they form because a group of men or women didn't find what they were looking for in existing organizations on their campus.

Rules & Standards are a good thing. It's organizations that start up with a very vocal statement implying they don't want rules, that hurt the rest of us who have every intention of running our organizations with high standards. These are the organizations that become liabilities to universities- and ruin it for the others who are going above & beyond what their universities require.

I think it is an interesting idea to explore for locals though.