GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,730
0 members and 2,730 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2000, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Lost??

Hey yall .. Its me once again rying to fugure something out.. i'm not to familar with anything but BGLOs and I was looking at some of the other topics on here and I'm lost? Whats a bid. How is is that u are able to go to so many rushes? Why would u accept someones else's bid if that is not where your hearts at? I was always told to follow your heart.. Will someone please fill me in on some of these question cause I'm lost.. Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2000, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A "bid" is an invitation to join an NPC/IFC sorority/fraternity. During recruitment (formerly known as "rush") each sorority has parties each night that the prospective members (formerly known as "rushees") attend. As the week (or recruitment period) progresses, the sororities and prospectives each make cuts (sororities vote on who to invite back while prospectives choose which sorority parties they want to continue to attend). By the last party, generally known as "preference" (or "pref") the prospective should know which sorority she wants to join. She (usually) signs her bid card (which lists, in order of the prospectives preference, which sorority she wants to receive a bid from) with her first choice, and usually her second choice (and at some schools a third choice). That night the bid cards are taken by the panhellenic council to a room where alumnae from each sorority are gathered to begin "bid matching". Each sorority has a list of its first choices (number of prospectives depends on quota - or how many each chapter can give bids to) and then its second choices. The moderator (or panhell advisor) will read:

Susie Jones - ABC

If ABC has Susie on their first list, the ABC alum will say "MATCH" - then every other sorority with Susie Jones on it will mark her name off and write ABC beside it.

If ABC doesn't have her on their first list, the alum says "no-match" and Susie Jones' bid card is laid aside until all the other names are read.

After the entire list of prospectives is gone through, the moderator will pick up the stack of bid cards that did not match during the first round, and will start over with second choices. If Susie Jones' second choice is XYZ, the moderator will say:

Susie Jones - XYZ

If XYZ has her on their bid list, the alum says "MATCH" and Susie is now an XYZ. If not, (and assuming there are only 2 choices on Susie's bid card), Susie Jones' does not get a bid into a sorority....BUT before the Rho Chi calls her and says "Sorry", the other sororities, EFG, LMN, QRS, and UVW, are given the opportunity to "snap bid" her. (If these others have not made quota already). (This is where it gets complicated - Susie may have loved LMN, but couldn't decide between ABC, XYZ, and LMN - so she cut LMN so she could go to the other 2 parties). So LMN calls her and asks her to accept their bid. If she says OK, then she's an LMN now.

Its not always a matter of giving up your first choice. On our campus we have strict panhell rules about rush infractions, yet the biggest sorority on campus continues to tell prospectives during parties that they will get a bid (serious infraction!) The prospective hears this, and thinks *WOW* ABC really likes me!- And signs her bid card....poor Susie has no idea that ABC tells just about everyone this so that they know they will make quota. Then when she finds out she doesn't get a bid from them, she tells the Rho Chi what was said, but no one can prove it so poor Susie is without a bid. This is where the 2nd choice comes in. XYZ really did like Susie, but maybe Susie didn't meet their grade requirement. Then LMN snap bids her so it works out that Susie does get a bid.

The point is supposed to be to give as many prospectives as possible a bid. We are supposed to encourage Greek unity and the more bids the better. Our recruitment is so totally fake. Its hard to get to know girls based on 30 and 45 minute parties. A lot of it is based on the reputation of the sorority on campus....which is not fair considering anyone can (and will) spread rumors the week before rush!

You can find out more about NPC recruitment on the "RUSH" board, but hope this helps a little.

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 09-20-2000, 10:11 PM

Monique - there was a thread called "Loyalty?" that explored some of the NPHC/NPC differences you are asking about.

Here is what I have kind of gotten from reading this board: NPHC interest is more "organization driven" and NPC interest is more "chapter driven." You become interested in an NPHC org because you admire its national purpose, outlook etc., and then get to meet the women of your future local chapter. NPC is (for the most part) the opposite - you become involved first because of the women on the local level, and through your closeness with them, you develop a commitment to the national org.

I am sure this sounds way too simplistic, but I hope some of you understand what I am trying to say.