GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,909
2 members and 2,907 guests
ChioLu, John

Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life at CUNY - Hunter College

I saw that there used to be 11 NPC sororities at Hunter college,is there is a reason why there aren't anymore? I know that chapters close down for various reasons but I'm just curious as into why it hasn't thrived at that school at all. Does anyone have any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about this school in particular, but looking at the majority of the close dates, it looks like they were a victim of THE 60s. Being in New York, it doesn't surprise me that they would have had a particularly rough time in that era. If you look at the sorority list at UC Berkley you'll see the same thing, although a few were able to survive there.

Delta Phi Epsilon, which I think is strong in the Northeast, seems to have held out the longest but it's hard to be a single sorority on campus. The other sororities listed are not NPC so they probably just fizzled out over time.

If I were going to re-establish a Greek system there, I'd probably look to Phi Sig, DPhiE and AEPhi to do it as they probably have the strongest chances of success. But that's totally me just speculating. I don't know nuthin bout nuthin.