GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,302
1 members and 1,301 guests
speedsters
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no thoughts except that I had to google what UAB stood for, even after reading that article. I kinda figured it was University of Alabama, Birmingham, but I was surprised it wasn't spelled out anywhere.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

NCAA scholarships are one-year agreements. Yes, they usually renewed, however they are only for one year periods of time. The football players have a scholarship for this academic year. They will be able to transfer to any school and play next year without sitting out since the school did away with the sport.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
NCAA scholarships are one-year agreements. Yes, they usually renewed, however they are only for one year periods of time. The football players have a scholarship for this academic year. They will be able to transfer to any school and play next year without sitting out since the school did away with the sport.
As long as they get offered by another school they can. There's no guarantee in that.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Since 2012, the NCAA has allowed schools to provide multiyear scholarships.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Most fon't give multi year ones though. However, most schools will honor the scholarships for the balance of the time the student is in school once they close a program. UAB has agreed to do this. 'Bout the only good thing I can say about them at this point...
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman View Post
Since 2012, the NCAA has allowed schools to provide multiyear scholarships.
It is allowed by the NCAA, however I do not know of a major (or even mid-major) DI school which does multi-year deal. One year is still the norm.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
If a university has a Division 1 football program, who has 5-6 games televised a year and the President doesn't know how to leverage that into being a money maker, then he doesn't know how to lead a university and should be FIRED!
Most football programs probably don't make money -- even "top tier" programs:

Quote:
According to Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian, authors of The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football (2013),figures from the 2010-11 academic year show that only 22 of the 120 top-tier football programs broke even or made a profit. That means that while these big-time teams generate millions of dollars of revenue, the cost of running such programs usually exceeds that revenue. To put that more starkly, even within the so-called top tier, 82% of college football teams actually take away money from the university’s budget, rather than generate net revenue. (The NCAA’s figures are, perhaps predictably, less damning with just over half the teams generating profit.) Benedict and Keteyian’s figures suggest that the overwhelming majority of top-tier athletic departments require their universities to allocate funds from elsewhere in the school’s budget for the sake of football. Thus, the myth that college football generates revenue for universities is a lie 82% of the time among the highest grossing “tier” of teams.
http://www.ethosreview.org/intellect...ll-profitable/
I hate it for the students, the scholarship athletes, and city, but UAB was facing some huge expenditures to improve facilities and was (has been) in need of an on-campus stadium. It is very unlikely that the program would become a money-maker.

UAB football has been around less than 14 years I think -- and D1 fewer years than that. Unfortunately, UAB often seemed like a football stepchild sandwiched between several high-profile SEC teams here.

Hopefully something can be worked out conference-wise for the remaining sports (UAB has had a competitive basketball team and following in the past, for instance). Conference USA stipulates that the school must have a football program.

It's sad for the disappointed students and fans. Some of the freshman athletes probably feel betrayed having just been recruited.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Most football programs probably don't make money -- even "top tier" programs.
This makes sense to me.

It was my understanding that the vast majority of the money generated by NCAA sports is in broadcast deals. Wasn't that the driver behind all of this re-mixing of the major conferences within the past few years?

I seem to remember that the (then) Pac-10 was really concerned that it didn't have nearly the broadcasting revenues that conferences like the SEC did, hence the move to expand and renegotiate those deals. I can only imagine that an even smaller conference would have really limited bargaining power with the broadcasters, and hence minimal revenues.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 12-05-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

And think of the law suits they just eliminated, from head injury, to sexual assault, to drunken fights at tailgates. If the over/under is they get rid of football and then spend more money on academics, I'm all for it. Hopefully it's a trend that will continue.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And think of the law suits they just eliminated, from head injury, to sexual assault, to drunken fights at tailgates. If the over/under is they get rid of football and then spend more money on academics, I'm all for it. Hopefully it's a trend that will continue.
There are certainly people who share that sentiment -- some people feel that UAB should invest in what they do well going forward instead of investing heavily in improvements necessary to support the football program.

It seems to be a situation ripe for knee-jerk disappointed reactions (understandable) and internet misunderstandings. I haven't heard from any credible source that there are any plans to ever do away with undergraduate studies. And the Honors Program has not been disbanded:

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/08/stir_over_uab_honors_program_w.html

I don't know if the lack of a football program will affect undergraduate enrollment, but I would be surprised if there was any significant decrease in numbers. Most students planning to attend UAB are probably not expecting a campus atmosphere that rallies around football like some of our other state universities, and probably do not choose UAB for that reason.

UAB is a very different campus "feel" -- 79% of students live off-campus/commute. The Greek community is extremely small (especially considering UAB's location) -- 2.9% of women and 2.4% of men are Greek (source).
Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This change makes a lot of sense to me. If you're competing for undergrad students in Alabama, there's no way on Earth you can distinguish yourself by using football. It makes sense to spend that money on ways you CAN distinguish yourself -- UAB is urban, it's got great ethnic and economic diversity, it's terrific in science and health fields. Those are good reasons students might choose it over Alabama and Auburn.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

And the lack of an honors college will cause them to go elsewhere - Watts shut that down last year - too elitist. Yeah, so elitist that they just had one of the students who was in it named a Rhodes Scholar. Guess they don't want any of those...
Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

But the Honors College isn't going anywhere. It was a false rumor last year. The program is alive and well and admitting new students.

http://www.uab.edu/students/undergra...onors-programs
Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
But the Honors College isn't going anywhere. It was a false rumor last year. The program is alive and well and admitting new students.

http://www.uab.edu/students/undergra...onors-programs
Yes it is -- accurate info is just a simple google search away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
If you're competing for undergrad students in Alabama, there's no way on Earth you can distinguish yourself by using football. It makes sense to spend that money on ways you CAN distinguish yourself -- UAB is urban, it's got great ethnic and economic diversity, it's terrific in science and health fields. Those are good reasons students might choose it over Alabama and Auburn.
Well put -- as much as the loss of the football program is disappointing and disruptive for many current students, IMO, it will not dissuade future students from choosing UAB.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 12-06-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Vote of "No Confidence" in UAB President.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ence-president
Closed Thread