GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,127
2 members and 1,125 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My Ole Miss Recruitment Story :)

Hi there everyone! Many of you may know my mom- as she has been active here this past year and has been by biggest cheerleader thru my recruitment journey! She has been on me to share my thoughts and my story and journey that was recruitment. As you can probably already tell you know the ending but it was an odd and unique beginning.

Coming from a small town and having no one in our family ever join a sorority I suppose I had a different view of what this was like. I had always wanted to attend Ole Miss and from the first visit I was in love and knew this was a place I could make my home. I had never intended to rush even up till first day of school. I had wanted to and joined a christian sorority which I felt would be a better fit and also give me a chance to meet other like minded girls. It was not until around a month or so into school that I was coming out of the union and noticed a table for one of the sororities which was colonizing- I thought it was interesting and the girls I spoke to were so sweet that I decided to give it a try. The process was difficult for me as there were some miscommunications along the way, and it ended up that I was not offered a bid. I won't lie I was so disappointed because I truly wished to be a part of something very special. I felt so bad that I somehow let my mom down as she was so encouraging to me. But in the end things just didn't work out.

I had some friends that I had met and made that were in several other sororities and I was asked to come to a COB event later that fall. But still being hurt and disappointed I just didn't feel the time was right and I needed more time to figure out if this was something I wanted to pursue.

After winter break....several more of my friends were encouraging me to attend several COB events and after thinking more about it and speaking with my mom- decided it couldn't hurt just to see what they were all about. I was immediately taken in with the sisterhood and just how friendly and welcoming they all were. I got to meet more girls in a much more relaxed atmosphere. Later I also met the recruitment chair and the more I learned about them and their philanthropy- which by way is near and dear to my heart, the more I grew to love them. After the series of events was over, I was invited to join their sisterhood and become a new member. I was so happy that there was never any question that this was place I belonged and that truly wanted me. I never once felt like I was competing for anything. It was like meeting a new family and one I knew I could grow with and that would present me opportunities to better myself as a person.

I joined the sisterhood and am a proud new happy member of.....

Kappa Alpha Theta

That was spring of this year....I just went through Ole Miss Recruitment as an active and boy was it a ton of work- many many long hours put in and I have learned so much about the process and just how-- its really not a personal thing when someone gets dropped. I learned there is so very much more that goes into it and it has given me a deeper appreciation for just how tough the process can be. Just in the short time I have been in Theta, I have gained so much. I am much more self confident knowing I can put myself out there and be satisfied with whatever happens. I grew to love one PNM this past week and she and I connected on such a deep and personal level that by end of rush it was like we were already sisters! I was so happy and cried tears of joy as she came home running into my arms!! I am so hoping she can be my little that I have already started putting things aside for her.

In conclusion....my journey to Theta, I am quite sure, is not the norm! I had quite a unique way but I don't think it could have worked out any better. I am now living with the 3 sisters who first introduced me to Theta and they will forever be my family!!! I would say to any of the girls stick with the process even if there is pain along the way. It doesn't matter how you find your home as long as you find it and are happy with the results and work hard to make it the best sisterhood it can be. I will always be grateful to my mom who was my biggest supporter, encourager and cheerleader. I am looking to get more involved and more active this year and hopefully look to more leadership opportunities next year.

Last edited by OleMissTheta; 10-19-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for sharing your story! I know a young lady who is a Theta in your chapter. You are in excellent company. Glad you found your home away from home.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on joining Kappa Alpha Theta. Hoping that you get the little you are hoping for! Court her- invite her to lunch, sit with her at dinners, coffee and ice cream dates-but not over the top.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome and thank you for sharing yet another perspective on sorority recruitment (and membership). I especially appreciated the following sentence you wrote:

"It doesn't matter how you find your home as long as you find it and are happy with the results and work hard to make it the best sisterhood it can be."

That attitude is going to carry you far in life. Hope you can experience at least one Grand Convention; that adds yet another layer to membership. And, yay for another kite flier in my GC posse!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

YEAH!!! SO glad to hear your story & about the new member that you clicked with ! See your PMs.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so much for the positive comments. I am so happy We are getting ready for theta encore which is a huge event here every fall. I am so excited to participate for the first time and I am trying to put myself more out there in front of people- which trust me is not my strength. I know it will be a huge success so please wish us all good luck, we will need all the prayers we can get to make sure this is a big success. Thanks again
Old 10-20-2016, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on accepting your bid to Kappa Alpha Theta! Yes it wasn't the traditional route, but I'm so happy for you that you found your new family on campus.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome OleMissTheta! So happy you found your HΘME!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

MP, so good to see a post from you again on Greekchat!!! We have missed you!!!!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to be here, ladybug12!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there! Just wanted to update you all on my story...since today is Founder's Day and also the weekend of initiation for our fall pledge class it just seemed right to let you all know that I was able to get my little as I was hoping. Here is a picture from our reveal- the theme was "Have yourself a Merry "little" Christmas! I am the blonde...any there is my sweet "little"

Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Too cute!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Enjoy your first Founder's Day & Initiation from the big sister side! Wish I could be there for brunch next weekend :-)