GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Delta Delta House Director Charged with $225K Embezzlement

The former Delta Delta Delta house director at the University of Wisconsin - Madison is charged with embezzling over $225,000 over a more than six year period. Sigma Kappa was also looking for her. https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/c...XTMruJzLRYCRWg

Last edited by Sororitysock; 05-03-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Because words are hard
Old 05-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hope she was bonded.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder what took them so long to file charges, since this investigation goes back to 2016. How someone could run up $226,000 in Sam's Club charges over 7 years without arousing suspicion is mind-boggling. Where was the house corp board oversight? Yikes.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that anything of this magnitude happened but several years ago our Council mandated all our house corporations use our Fraternity Housing Corporation for all accounting functions. While we were in the midst of that decision we had one where the HCP had done some things that weren't supported by documentation and had failed to do some things in a timely way with governmental groups causing fines that led to me suggesting to the new HC Board that they present her with a bill and follow thru with legal action if she didn't make payment arrangements. They decided not to pursue that in any way and she skated. But it wasn't anywhere near this amount.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I wonder what took them so long to file charges, since this investigation goes back to 2016. How someone could run up $226,000 in Sam's Club charges over 7 years without arousing suspicion is mind-boggling. Where was the house corp board oversight? Yikes.
She was creating false invoices/ statements from Sam's. They didn't catch on for a few years that the invoices were fake. She went to a LOT of work to scam the chapter.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
She was creating false invoices/ statements from Sam's. They didn't catch on for a few years that the invoices were fake. She went to a LOT of work to scam the chapter.
I read the article before posting and I just find it amazing that the undergrad officers are the ones who got suspicious...I just can't imagine giving an house director a credit card and having the statements go to her (which allowed her the opportunity to present forged ones instead). There was no checks and balances in place to prevent this situation and this is just the kind of situation that has caused MJ Insurance to crack down on house corp financial practices.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

wow

I read somewhere that women are more likely to embezzle than men. I hope insurance pays out and restores that chapter's financial health
Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My bookkeeper was embezzling, and he was a man. He was of Hindu culture from India, and seemed to assume "ownership entitlement syndrome" or something. At least it was a small fraction of that Tri-Delta crime.