GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,347
2 members and 1,345 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta

Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Dropped my sorority...can I be resinstated @ my new school?

Just dropped my sorority an hour ago due to financial reasons. I’m super sad about it because I’ve really grown to love greek life, and our PC was getting initiated this coming Thursday. I’ve also made the decision to move back home next semester and finish out my freshman year at a cc, before transferring to a different university in Texas next school year, bc OOS tuition is killing me. Anways I was wondering, since all three schools that I’m looking into have an active Tri Delt chapter, would I have to go through recruitment again? I feel like it’s kind of a given considering I was not officially a member, but I also do know that it is extremely frowned upon and discouraged to join a different sorority once you’ve alreay been affliated with another. Plus, I’d really hate the possibility of having to join a different house. Obviously I have to contact Tri Delt headquarters and get the final verdict, but would it be a bad idea to contact the individual chapters myself and let them know? Obviously not now since I haven’t been admitted, but towards the end of the next semester. And if I do have to rush again next year, would it be bad to mention that to other chapters? Or just I just go in and hope to get another bid from Tri Delta?
Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you are not an initiated member, you will have to go through recruitment at your new university.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You will have to go through recruitment again. You were never initiated and therefore are not bound to Tri Delt, nor are they bound to you. NPC rules state that you are free to go through recruitment and join any sorority that offers you a bid. You have no reason to contact Tri Delt nationals, nor should you contact the chapters at your future potential campuses.

Your rec writer may address it directly with the chapter at your future school by saying you pledged Tri Delt at your old school and have an affection for the sorority and are excited to meet the Tri Delts at new school.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind OP that the Tri Delt chapter you joined is going to be different from the Tri Delt chapters at the schools you're looking at. It's nice to have affection for the national org, but what was a good fit at one school may not be at another.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my HS classmates pledged Tri Delta at another university before transferring to Ole Miss. She was never initiated into Tri Delta, rushed again at Ole Miss, and pledged Kappa. She was actually a Tri Delta legacy through her older sister. I'm not sure if she felt that Kappa was a better fit for her (a number of friends were in the chapter) or if Tri Delta released her, but she was initiated into Kappa at Ole Miss. Another sister is a Chi Omega from the same university as the Tri Delta sister, a SIL (now deceased) was an AOII from Ole Miss. Not sure if any other sororities are represented in their family, but that's the beginning of their own Panhellenic!

I agree with Xidelt, TXDG, and clemsongirl. Good luck if you decide to go through recruitment again.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Keep in mind OP that the Tri Delt chapter you joined is going to be different from the Tri Delt chapters at the schools you're looking at. It's nice to have affection for the national org, but what was a good fit at one school may not be at another.
You know, I never even thought about it like that. I guess I’m just scared of what my tri delt friends might think, which I guess shouldn’t really matter. I’m definitely going to keep this in mind!!! Thank you!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
One of my HS classmates pledged Tri Delta at another university before transferring to Ole Miss. She was never initiated into Tri Delta, rushed again at Ole Miss, and pledged Kappa. She was actually a Tri Delta legacy through her older sister. I'm not sure if she felt that Kappa was a better fit for her (a number of friends were in the chapter) or if Tri Delta released her, but she was initiated into Kappa at Ole Miss. Another sister is a Chi Omega from the same university as the Tri Delta sister, a SIL (now deceased) was an AOII from Ole Miss. Not sure if any other sororities are represented in their family, but that's the beginning of their own Panhellenic!

I agree with Xidelt, TXDG, and clemsongirl. Good luck if you decide to go through recruitment again.
Oh wow. That’s so cool!! See I just wasn’t sure if that was common. So, would it be appropriate for me to even bring up the fact that I pledged tri delta once I go through recruitment again or no? Thank you for sharing!! I find that to be extremely fascinating :-)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
You will have to go through recruitment again. You were never initiated and therefore are not bound to Tri Delt, nor are they bound to you. NPC rules state that you are free to go through recruitment and join any sorority that offers you a bid. You have no reason to contact Tri Delt nationals, nor should you contact the chapters at your future potential campuses.

Your rec writer may address it directly with the chapter at your future school by saying you pledged Tri Delt at your old school and have an affection for the sorority and are excited to meet the Tri Delts at new school.
Gotcha. Makes total sense. Thank you for the insight!!! So glad I know this now, before doing something that I would potentially regret later!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't bring it up that you pledged DDD. The sororities might think you might quit again.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I wouldn't bring it up that you pledged DDD. The sororities might think you might quit again.
Yup. And they might think you will have financial issues again.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaphalangee View Post
Oh wow. That’s so cool!! See I just wasn’t sure if that was common. So, would it be appropriate for me to even bring up the fact that I pledged tri delta once I go through recruitment again or no? Thank you for sharing!! I find that to be extremely fascinating :-)
Someone else with more knowledge, please jump in here. My first thought is that whoever writes a rec for you might mention that you pledged Tri Delta at your previous university, so the chapters would find out that way. If your rec writers let their sororities know that you are going through with an open mind, I don't think your prior pledging should be a problem. Please do go through with an open mind and maximize your options--bloom where you're planted!

You could also be vague and mention that you pledged a sorority at your previous university, enjoyed sorority life and wanted to be a part of it again, and were so excited to have a chance to get involved in sorority life at your current university. I think your circumstance is not as rare as you think. Be polite at all parties (I'm sure you would be anyway!). Good luck finding your home, whether it is with Tri Delta again or a different sorority!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Anybody looking at your Facebook page (and they WILL check it out) will see you in DDD regalia, so you should explain it on your registration info.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
You do not have to tell me twice. After the treatment I have received from these girls, I want absolutely NOTHING to do with tri delta, or greek life. I am extremely discouraged to even rush again at my new school.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Anybody looking at your Facebook page (and they WILL check it out) will see you in DDD regalia, so you should explain it on your registration info.
I never posted anything about sorority life on social media, and especially not facebook. And as far as regalia, I don’t think that will be an issue. Considering my name is not affiliated with DDD whatsoever! At least that is what they told me when I dropped.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Someone else with more knowledge, please jump in here. My first thought is that whoever writes a rec for you might mention that you pledged Tri Delta at your previous university, so the chapters would find out that way. If your rec writers let their sororities know that you are going through with an open mind, I don't think your prior pledging should be a problem. Please do go through with an open mind and maximize your options--bloom where you're planted!

You could also be vague and mention that you pledged a sorority at your previous university, enjoyed sorority life and wanted to be a part of it again, and were so excited to have a chance to get involved in sorority life at your current university. I think your circumstance is not as rare as you think. Be polite at all parties (I'm sure you would be anyway!). Good luck finding your home, whether it is with Tri Delta again or a different sorority!
Got it. Although, now I don’t think I wanna rush again. The treatment I have received since I dropped has been utterly disgusting, and has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth in regards to greek life. Which ik is stupid because greek life at all schools are totally different. And it sucks because I have had absolutely nothing but wonderful things to say about it, but this aftermath has just changed my mind completely!!! If I do choose to rush again, I pray to God that I DO NOT get DDD!! Done with that!!!!