GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 584
0 members and 584 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2020, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

American U AXiD members disaffiliating

The American University chapter of Alpha Xi Delta has announced on Instagram that their members are disaffiliating from their national organization due to recent events.

From what I have seen on another forum, this decision may have been made due to AXiD's response to BLM, a policy of not allowing their chapters to post political things on social media, and also a specific situation on AU's campus involving sexual assault.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCG-GnDh...=1423m2w97e6lr

Last edited by robinseggblue; 07-02-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry but this statement is absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly insulting to the Greek system and it's members. It's not a perfect system and it evolves more as time goes on but their depiction of it is just disgusting. They need to realize and accept that no one forced them to join and that it's not for everyone!

I don't get what their end game is!
Old 07-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

It's unfortunate they think that about their organizations and counterparts on campus. If they believed their organizations perpetuate racism, sexual violence, classism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism, it says more about them that they willingly joined and belonged to such an organization than anything about the organization itself.

Are there rules in place forbidding them to make political posts on their personal social media?

They're in for a rude awakening when they joint the professional world where you would be fired in a heartbeat for making unsanctioned political posts on behalf of your organization.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's unfortunate they think that about their organizations and counterparts on campus. If they believed their organizations perpetuate racism, sexual violence, classism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism, it says more about them that they willingly joined and belonged to such an organization than anything about the organization itself.

Are there rules in place forbidding them to make political posts on their personal social media?

They're in for a rude awakening when they joint the professional world where you would be fired in a heartbeat for making unsanctioned political posts on behalf of your organization.
This! I am sorry for national Alpha Xi Delta.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I am too! At least they're rid of those women.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

And people thought I was exaggerating just two weeks ago when I said the spread of vocal and aggressive wokeness was going to cause significant division and problems in NPC groups.

Imagine how many members are upset from the opposite end of the spectrum, but can't speak out for fear of attack. Anyone who says, "Everyone seems really happy and in support of these changes" doesn't get it.

If this stuff continues, it's going to destroy NPC groups. If the leadership in NPC groups want to go full woke, they should be honest with their members. If they want to maintain a traditional sorority experience that doesn't include rewriting rituals and shaming white members, they have to nip this in the bud.

There is no way these two trains of thought can exist for long in the same group. We already know how this ends. Just look at the takeover of Christian denominations in this country.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And people thought I was exaggerating just two weeks ago when I said the spread of vocal and aggressive wokeness was going to cause significant division and problems in NPC groups.

Imagine how many members are upset from the opposite end of the spectrum, but can't speak out for fear of attack. Anyone who says, "Everyone seems really happy and in support of these changes" doesn't get it.

If this stuff continues, it's going to destroy NPC groups. If the leadership in NPC groups want to go full woke, they should be honest with their members. If they want to maintain a traditional sorority experience that doesn't include rewriting rituals and shaming white members, they have to nip this in the bud.

There is no way these two trains of thought can exist for long in the same group. We already know how this ends. Just look at the takeover of Christian denominations in this country.
Agree 100%!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Well, if we already know how this ends, how is anything more we do or say going to accomplish the opposite? It appears you have given up. Good for you. At least you have taken your honest stand.

I do not feel shamed. I do not fear attack. I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY TIME. I am willing to hear and attempt to understand succinct points of view; aggressive and repetitive ramblings do not hold my interest [& I'm not saying yours are, TDS].

Certain people in this world appear to have nothing better to do whilst surviving a quarantine/pandemic than 'aggressively' provoke other people. Life is a game between your ears. Listen, but verify. Keep calm.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I do understand people who are passionate wanting their organizations to stand for what they believe is right. Especially since GLOs have so much meaning to us and embrace high ideals for member behavior.

To address Kevin's point, it seems to me like these former AXiD's would probably argue that they didn't realize how problematic the Greek system was until after they were members. The Greek system is definitely not without problems (just look at all the RFM violations), but I would argue that it does benefit members overall and I agree that it is evolving over time. I empathize that it is frustrating to suggest changes to nationals and not see them implemented. Any large organization is slow to change, though.

I can see both sides, I guess. This does make me think about other groups on other campuses that disaffiliated from their nationals due to things like religion in rituals (ex. SK at Dartmouth). Many Greek members might not think that that is such a big deal, but it was to them.

Quote:
If they want to maintain a traditional sorority experience that doesn't include rewriting rituals and shaming white members, they have to nip this in the bud.
Are any GLOs rewriting rituals? That is an interesting thing I did not think about.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with this reference. What has happened to Christian denominations? Is this in reference to LGBT Christians being more widely accepted in the religious community?
Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I could not agree more. From what I see written in other forums, I don't see our organizations continuing to exist in a way that I would be willing to support for much longer. The "demands" from young people are just shocking to me.

It is not just Christian language coming under fire. I see simply being female organizations and speech now under attack. You want a "sxsterhood?" It is coming. Simply using gender specific pronouns is now a micro aggression.

Last edited by thetalady; 07-02-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
Are any GLOs rewriting rituals? That is an interesting thing I did not think about.

I'm not familiar with this reference. What has happened to Christian denominations? Is this in reference to LGBT Christians being more widely accepted in the religious community?
See this thread by TriDeltaSallie....
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
I am sorry but this statement is absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly insulting to the Greek system and it's members. It's not a perfect system and it evolves more as time goes on but their depiction of it is just disgusting. They need to realize and accept that no one forced them to join and that it's not for everyone!

I don't get what their end game is!
Like button.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:35 PM

This is just the exec board. How large are the chapters there? I wonder if the rest of the chapter feels as strongly?

If it truly is a matter that the chapter as a whole wants to be more dedicated to social justice and feels at odds with the Greek system, then they should just turn in their charter, become a group dedicated to those issues, and let A Xi D national decide if they want to recolonize at some point.

Nit pick- the National Panhellenic Council (1) has nothing to do with deciding if a chapter closes (2) unless is spelled correctly (National Pan-Hellenic Council) doesn’t exist.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for them.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
To address Kevin's point, it seems to me like these former AXiD's would probably argue that they didn't realize how problematic the Greek system was until after they were members. The Greek system is definitely not without problems (just look at all the RFM violations), but I would argue that it does benefit members overall and I agree that it is evolving over time. I empathize that it is frustrating to suggest changes to nationals and not see them implemented. Any large organization is slow to change, though.
So I guess my main point would be how dare they as brand spanking new members of an organization which has been around for well over a century, think it is okay to shame said organization which is apolitical as a not-for-profit entity, to place that status on the line so that it can take positions on issues without going through the necessary process most major decisions require for the organization? Are they for real?

They should be able to say whatever they want on their own social media. If there are restrictions on that, I could certainly see a lot of members choosing to leave rather than being muzzled--but I haven't read anything which indicates that this is the case.

But when speaking on behalf of an organization, you are speaking on behalf of all of the organization. And if you are just one chapter of said organization, there are policies and procedures in place stating exactly how that organizations voice can be used. Follow the damn rules or leave--and I guess when presented with that choice, if what they said is what they felt, good for them.

But let's not assume that those who remain stand for misogyny, transphobia and the like.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma