GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,438
0 members and 2,438 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2020, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC database?

hey everyone. me again. Random question: is there an npc database that shows every member and their affiliation? I know every sorority individually has a database, but does the NPC as a whole have one?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

For what? To catch sneaky kids trying to get into a second sorority?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I really don't think that would be ethical, at best. At worst... YIKES!!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
For what? To catch sneaky kids trying to get into a second sorority?

Good god. Every single post of your's "carnation" is so negative! Do you just spend 24 hours lurking on this site?? Please reevaluate yourself! I asked a simple question.

Does the NPC have a national database? I'm curious to look at the lineage of my grandparents. I know they were in Greek life, but nobody can remember or has records of what they were in. They passed away and my mom (single parent) has no idea.

There? Does help you carnation? Having to give my whole life story to get an answer to my question? Good god
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Please re-evaluate yourself? Get a grip on your self-importance. I've been on this site for 20 years and am unimpressed.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

You can understand that a full NPC database wouldn't be a great idea. But if you're interested in finding out about your grandparents, start out where they went to college, then which sororities & fraternities were on campus for the years they were. Chances are that you will have whittled it down quite a bit.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossipgirl1271 View Post
hey everyone. me again. Random question: is there an npc database that shows every member and their affiliation? I know every sorority individually has a database, but does the NPC as a whole have one?
No, there is no single NPC database.

Carnation is a "super moderator" here, which means that she is one of the people in charge. You really don't want to piss her off.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry if I angered people. I got frustrated. My life story is quite alot, as I'm sure you can tell. It's touchy for me. I just wanted a simple answer to a question.

Anyways, Why would it be a bad idea for a full NPC database? I thought it would be a great idea and we could get more people involved as alum.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry if I angered people. I got frustrated. My life story is quite alot, as I'm sure you can tell. It's touchy for me. I just wanted a simple answer to a question.

Anyways, Why would it be a bad idea for a full NPC database? I thought it would be a great idea and we could get more people involved as alum.
Because each member signs to allow their group to maintain their information - not the rest of the world. FERPA and HIPPA rules come to mind.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

interesting thought! I thought it would have been a great way to create a more Panhellenic community idk. I didn't even think about HIPPA or privacy policies. I guess I will have to contact the school or each sorority individually for information.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am curious how a database of all NPC alumnae would encourage involvement as alumnae?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know what college/university your grandparents attended and a guess as to the years there? As suggested above, I think your best chance of finding out their organizations would be to look through the college yearbooks.

They may have been in local Greek organizations, in which case an NPC database would not be helpful to you.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Does your mom know any of your grandparents' friends? Other relatives in their generation? Those might be places to start.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Some universities make their yearbooks available to peruse online.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's an approach to answering your question that might work: "work backwards" from the information you have. Narrow your field/scope of inquiry. Define the problem and simplify the parameters.

Starting point for me would be to look at published obituaries (often those will contain a reference to greek membership). Then I'd move on to what college(s) grandparents attended, and what years, to find out what sororities/fraternities were active on campus at that time. Check yearbooks online. Check alumnae associations. Contact HQ for various sororities/fraternities active on those campuses with politely worded letters (or emails) explaining your genealogy search and requesting information as to whether any members are in their database that have the same name. And so on.

There's a plethora of information on the internet. You have some time on your hands (don't we all? 2020 just sucks, thanks, Covid-19) and it's an interesting rabbit hole to fall down. There are some members here on GC who are well versed in research and may have other suggestions on what to pursue in your quest for information on your grandparents. Just apply research methodology (assuming you have been taught that in college) and you may find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This isn't the instant answer you seek; IMO it's much more rewarding to actually engage in thinking and problem solving. Aside: did you know that certain areas of the human brain are atrophying due to reliance on technology? Yeah. It's true. You can google it (hahaha I'm so funny).

A final word of advice: be patient, polite, persistent. When you want honey, don't kick the beehive.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity