GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,551
1 members and 1,550 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Central Florida

hey, anyone know if UCF's NPC ever got rush done? I heard they kept having to postpone it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 PM

UCF's bid day was Sept. 1.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

These are the results posted on the results thread:

University of Central Florida: August 28 - September 1 (quota 56 or 57?)

Alpha Delta Pi (made quota), Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Xi Delta (made quota), Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta (made quota), Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma (37), Pi Beta Phi (made quota), Zeta Tau Alpha (made quota)

ETA: Quota was 56 according to the ADPi results page....others may have made quota but it is not listed above...
Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

* AEPhi did not participate in formal recruitment at UCF because it has not yet colonized/been chartered.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for you guys!

I'm sure you guys get bombarded with the same questions all the time but figure I'll give it a try since there is a UCF thread!

I never seem to be back in time for rush before school starts but I'm really interested in going greek. I pledged several years ago ( It isn't called U Can't Finish for nothing ) but didn't go through with it because it just wasn't the right time or place for me.

Soooo my questions are...is anyone going to be holding rush during spring?

What is the status of AEPhi coming on campus? I'm really excited if they really are going to be a part of UCF.

And finally, how much does it matter what year you are in? I have been told in the past that if you are a junior or a senior your chances of bids are reduced.

I really appreciate any responses you might have

Thanks!
RC
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 AM

I'm not sure of the status on AEPhi. I think Panhellenic voted not to expand after the poor results of Fall Recruitment but this could mean that they voted not to expand in the Spring like they were supposed to.

Some chapters may hold informal Spring Recruitment. You can contact the Greek Affairs office for more information.

As for Juniors or Seniors:
I'm going to be honest....UCF has a very competitive rush. Even informal recruitment is pretty competitive. Most chapters will only take a limited amount of Juniors; some chapters will take an even more limited amount of Seniors while other chapters will not take Seniors at all.

Make sure to contact Greek Affairs since they will have more information than me.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
UCF is expanding

Ladies,

UCF is expanding and will be bringing on 2 NPC groups over the next 18 months or so. NPC announced expansion opportunity earlier this year and there will be 2 rounds. First, there is an interest group of women who are looking to afiliate with a historically Jewish national. For those who are too young to know, in the 1920, 1930 and 1940s, Jewish women were not permitted to join most of your groups so, although groups like DPhiE were founded as non-sectarian, during this time period Jewish women predominantly joined our ranks. Today, all three groups are as diverse as many of the other groups.

This interest group will be the first to go national. DPhiE and probably SDT and AEPhi have submitted packets but no invitations to present have come yet but are expected by semester end. I think that group selected gets 12 months to get up to total and then a second national will come on based on a few being selected to present from I'm sure a large stack of nationals to chose from. Who wouldn't want a chapter at UCF? There is no interest group for the second expansion.

I'm sure there will be more to report by semesters end. Any insiders, please feel free to add information as it becomes available.

In panhellenic friendship,
Denise
DPhiE Director of Expansion
Old 10-06-2004, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

As a UCF graduate and a UCF Greek, I am in agreement with ZTAngel (also a UCF Greek/Grad).

UCF sororities place an emphasis on underclassmen during formal recruitment; this does not mean that a junior or senior can't receive a bid or have a competitive recruitment. I know of plenty exceptional ladies who "rushed" later in their undergrad careers and were very pleased with their invitations and the groups they ended up joining.

Denise, thanks for your information about the potential for 2 new groups. How recently did you receive the expansion news? Word on the street had it that due to the hurricane knocking the recruitment schedule off and poor results from a new method of recruitment, UCF would be holding off on colonization of any new sororities for this school year. Has this changed since early Sept?

RockCandyDeluxe, I would say it is likely there will be a few groups holding informal recruitment events in the spring time. I advise you to go to the Office of Greek Life when classes resume in Jan for spring semester, and to indicate your interest. They can give you the most up to date information and pass along your name as a PNM to the sororities holding these events.

Also, the UCF Greek Community is a very friendly one and I am sure you have Greeks in your classes. Strike up a conversation about Greek Life and indicate you'd be interested in learning more about informal recruitment events in spring, should they know anything about it.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, we are colonizing very soon. My sister and close friend is extension chair. Last week after Pan, an Extension meeting was held for all the delegates. AEPhi, SDT, and DPhiE all sent in information, and all three groups will most likely be invited to present.
Here is part of an email from Greg Mason, our director of Greek Affairs...
"After getting home last Wed night, I started thinking (a dangerous past time for me) as the information is great...but is difficult to tell what would be the best two groups to bring to campus. It was impossible for me to sift through and make good decision, so I would imagine it would be the same for all of you. (Even though I have been involved in numerous colonizations and extensions, this is a bit different, so we are all in the same boat as far as this experienice.) I have asked the NPC for guidance and have contacted the NPC Extension Chair, JJ Wales, who has said that it is fine if we want to bring all 3 national organizations to make presentations.

If the vote next week is "affirmative" for this, then we will be invite all 3 gropus to make presentations. We will invite the "interest group" (UCF women who want to start a historically Jewish-founded NPC sorority) or their representatives to attend these presentations. We will even go so far as to solicit their input...but they will need to keep in mind that Panhellenic will be making the final decision. It is a fine line to walk, but it is important for Panhellenic to be the ones to choose."

This was sent out this week. I'm assuming that whatever group is chosen will colonize in the Spring semester.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: UCF is expanding

ok, this post has me completely confused. i thought ucf had already picked aephi so why would they go through the whole process again? i could be mixed up but denise's story sounds really similar to the story at another florida school, maybe fsu?

and on a side note, people have been saying that ucf's numbers were down this year but couldn't that be largely attributable to this year's horrible hurrican season? wasn't their an upward trend in numbers for several years prior to this year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
Ladies,

UCF is expanding and will be bringing on 2 NPC groups over the next 18 months or so. NPC announced expansion opportunity earlier this year and there will be 2 rounds. First, there is an interest group of women who are looking to afiliate with a historically Jewish national. For those who are too young to know, in the 1920, 1930 and 1940s, Jewish women were not permitted to join most of your groups so, although groups like DPhiE were founded as non-sectarian, during this time period Jewish women predominantly joined our ranks. Today, all three groups are as diverse as many of the other groups.

This interest group will be the first to go national. DPhiE and probably SDT and AEPhi have submitted packets but no invitations to present have come yet but are expected by semester end. I think that group selected gets 12 months to get up to total and then a second national will come on based on a few being selected to present from I'm sure a large stack of nationals to chose from. Who wouldn't want a chapter at UCF? There is no interest group for the second expansion.

I'm sure there will be more to report by semesters end. Any insiders, please feel free to add information as it becomes available.

In panhellenic friendship,
Denise
DPhiE Director of Expansion
Old 10-06-2004, 10:50 AM

I had been told by a few UCF collegiates that it was AEPhi that was chosen but I guess they were wrong. Best of luck to SDT, AEPhi, and DPhiE in their upcoming presentations!

As for the second group to colonize, I had heard that almost every NPC sorority sent in an interest packet.

Numbers were down this year and I want to say this is LARGELY attributed to the hurricane. Since recruitment was held during the school week, there were a lot of scheduling conflicts for PNMs. Plus, the stress of recruitment plus studying caused many of the girls to not participate in recruitment.

AEPhiSierra, you are correct in that UCF was having an upward trend in numbers for several years prior to this year. Quota has always been in the high 60's/low 70's for over 5 years. Although this year's quota was not low by any means, it was odd to see that number for UCF who has always had very large pledge classes.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 10-06-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't think that Pan ever voted on anything before, but I am really not sure. Last year I heard that AEPhi was colonizing here, but nothing was ever "officially" stated about it. Maybe it was just a rumor. AEPhi never came and presented or anything like that. I wasn't all that involved with Pan last year, so I am not sure what all happened. All I know is what they are doing now. Sorry I can't be more help... this has me all confused. I'll give the extension chair a call and see what's up.

UCF's numbers were way down. A big part of that was due to the hurricanes. We had to hold recruitment during school nights, and it is very common for undergrads to take night classes here. Many PNMs dropped because they had to go to class or couldn't handle the stress of both classes and recruitment at the same time. We also had a few problems with the new computer system.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I would say it is likely there will be a few groups holding informal recruitment events in the spring time. I advise you to go to the Office of Greek Life when classes resume in Jan for spring semester, and to indicate your interest. They can give you the most up to date information and pass along your name as a PNM to the sororities holding these events.
Rockcandy-- why don't you go to the Office of Greek Life now and add yourself to the interest list? With numbers down maybe people are still offering bids this fall-- and if not what will it hurt if your name is down this fall rather than being added in the spring? But if you know you do not want to join until spring-- then I would wait!

ETA: Read BellaBerlee's thread-- she is a new member of Chi O at UCF!!
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Best of Luck to AEPhi, SDT, and DPhiE....and speaking selfishly I would love for GFB to be the second group invited to expand at UCF! Keep us posted, y'all!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm kinda doing my research talking with girls to get a feel for where I might fit in the best. I might put my name down on the interest list but I really want to wait for spring since this is my first semester back at UCF from another school. I might pay a visit to the office to get some more information.

I really am a little freaked out because I'm an upper classmen. I'm still a sophmore right now but by spring I'll be a junior. I'm also waiting to see who is going to be joining UCF (personally hoping for AEPhi!). The idea of being a founding sister seems really nice.

Also, for True Blue Kappa. If they have interest groups come to the presentations how does that work? Who do they consider the interest group and how do they find them?

RC