GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,337
5 members and 1,332 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 09-24-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
It is interesting to see the difference in how "Greek" a school is. For example, I went to a small liberal arts college in the South. There were about 500 undergrads, and 7 NPC groups. Most all freshmen rushed and a majority was placed when I was there. The chapter size of most houses was about 35 or so with pledges classes at 12-15. Talking about small chapters! This meant the school was just under half Greek.
On the other hand, later, I transfered to another school in the south. (mostly commuter) With 4,000 students, they had only 4 NPC groups. Each chapter had about 65 sisters, making being a Greek a huge minority. I just thought those two compairsons were interesting.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Some people hear just are not getting what i'm saying. I personally think that it's very odd for a sorority that usually pulls in 10 to 15 pledges a semester, to all of a sudden be pulling in 25, while the rest of us get 6 to 10 pledges. I would like a bigger pledge class, but 25 pledges all of a sudden for one sorority on our campus is odd. The greek system is not a very big thing b/c most students here are not traditional college students. I don't know what they did, but I hope that it was anything dirty going on b/c i've heard two girls in the past week say that they thought that mtv was gonna be there. Of course, they did not make the pledge class, so they may have been just saying stuff. Also, I find it odd that the greek advisor for our school took forever checking the grades and GPA for our rush, we had to turn girls away that could have had a good GPA. So, they will have to rush again next semester. Well, the other sorority with the 25 pledges had there grades and were already turning girls away during their rush. What's up with that? The greek advisor told us that the system was down all that week of rush, yet they had their grades. It doesn't add up.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

re: greedy sorority

Pledge,
I am still not getting your point. Can you give a few more details? Are your sororities local ones, or NPC? If you are NPC, I assume your Panhellenic office followed NPC rules for recruitment. What was quota? If you have said it, I missed that. If the sorority that took 25 girls took quota, I don't understand the problem. However, if your Greek office gave them information about grades and such that they did not give the other two groups, you certainly have a reason to ask questions. If that sorority told them things that were not true to get them to join, that would be dirty rushing, which is against NPC recruitment rules. Someone should certainly direct those questions and concerns to your Greek or Panhellenic Advisor.

Anna
Old 09-25-2002, 08:13 AM

MTV is going to be at SUNY-Buffalo. If you're there, that could have something to do with it. And I would blame anything shady on MTV before you blame the sorority.

I don't know what to tell you about the grade issue cause I don't know if this is a first sem freshmen rush or deferred rush. If it's deferred, it could be that these girls already knew where they wanted to go and had their grades ready.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The girls have to give permission to the sorority to allow the greek advisor check grades. So, they can't just give the sisters their grades. The advisor said that the system was down during rush week, so our sorority, which is local, and another sorority, which is national, got our results a week after rush was over. Where else the other sorority with a higher pledge class got their grades the week of rush. Then, to top it off, we had to still turn away girls, especially transfer students and freshmen b/c the advisor claimed that they did not have a GPA. She said that the incoming freshmen and transfer students did not have a GPA in the system yet, but the other sorority have freshmen pledges. What's up with that?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
The girls have to give permission to the sorority to allow the greek advisor check grades. So, they can't just give the sisters their grades. The advisor said that the system was down during rush week, so our sorority, which is local, and another sorority, which is national, got our results a week after rush was over. Where else the other sorority with a higher pledge class got their grades the week of rush. Then, to top it off, we had to still turn away girls, especially transfer students and freshmen b/c the advisor claimed that they did not have a GPA. She said that the incoming freshmen and transfer students did not have a GPA in the system yet, but the other sorority have freshmen pledges. What's up with that?
Thank you for the added info. Are you saying freshmen aren't allowed to pledge? If so, and another group is taking girls that you know for a fact are freshmen, that makes them underground pledges and a definite rush violation.

At any rate, the other sororities can still give open bids if they have not hit quota/total.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
I've heard of school with average pledge classes of over 70! At my school a fall pledge class of 25 would be small, as quota is usually around 42. I guess it's how you look at the matter.
Dont some schools pledge once a year while other schools have pledging twice a year?

If so then you should take that into consideration when comparing pledge class size.

Ex. School A has one pledge class per year and the average pledge class is 40. School B has one pledge class per semester and the average pledge class is 20.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
Is the sorority with the large new member class a local or a national? If it is a national, then a formal recruitment is required according to NPC regulations because there would be two NPC chapters on your campus. In that case, all grades would have to be released at the same time to the houses participating in formal recruitment. If that is not happening, NPC should be called to oversee recruitment. (I'm not sure how it works with locals because there weren't any locals at my school so I haven't had any experience with them.) And, like 33girl said, if you have deferred recruitment and the sorority in question is taking first-semester freshmen, it is definitely a rush infraction. Have you talked to your Greek Advisor about this problem?

Edited to add: If you had to turn away women during formal recruitment because you were unsure of their grades, you can always go back and COB them once you get their grades.

Last edited by DWAlphaGam; 09-25-2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, our school has two rushes, one in the fall and one in the spring. So, if we had one rush per year, I could easily see how 25 pledges is alright. But, we don't, we have rush twice a year. It takes my sorority two rushes to get the number that they had in one rush. The sororities hear usually get about the same number per pledge class each semester, it's just odd to me how all of a sudden they have this big pledge class and they could not get it the past years. I could understand if they were slowly building up to it, but it just came out of nowhere and I believe it's b/c the greek advisor we have is showing some favortism. They wanted to go ahead and let the girls through, but they couldn't b/c we did not want to get into trouble. But, it just is weird that the advisor said that the new freshmen and transfers did not have GPAs in the system, yet the other sorority have freshmen pledges. And, the other sorority is a very well known national sorority. It sucks, but next rush we will be on point.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:43 PM
UMgirl

Again, maybe I am missing something and maybe you should tell us how your Rush works. I only say this because you said that the houses average 10-15 girls in a new member (pledge) class. So this house getting 10 more girls doesnt seem like it would be unusual. I could see if they got 20 more them normal, but 10 seems minimal. But that's just me.

Some possible reasons for this situation.

Quote:
And, the other sorority is a very well known national sorority.
Here's one reason. Reputation. Girls, honestly (and sometimes unfortunately) are going to flock to the sorority that they have "heard" the most about, even if all the good stuff they have heard is or isnt true. We all want and tell girls to go in with an open mind, but sometimes I guess its easier said then done.

Also, you have MTV's Sorority Life. No matter what we all may think of the show, we have to admitt that it brought attention to the system and helped to bring out more PNM.Which means higher numbers for some houses, especially if they may come off as Sorority Life-like.

Ok, I am guessing that the girls get to chose which houses they want to go to, instead of going to them all? Correct? And thats why you all seem to be getting grades for girls at different times. If this is the case, is it possible (with ot without favortism) that the "greedy" sorority got their grades before the system went down. It's possible that its just a coincidence and nothing shady happened? Anything can happen.

And with this sudden melt-down isn't it possible that this is the reason that none of your freshmen and transfers have grades b/c something is still wrong with the system?

Finally, as many have said before, isnt it possible that this sorority just had a really awesome rush/recruitment. Like I said 10 more than normal doesnt seem like much to me. Especially when you say average is 10-15. Maybe if average was like 5 yeah. Maybe thye just got really lucky.

My thing is you really shouldnt start thinking of and throwing accusations that something isnt right until you have looked at all the possibilities. And to a point if you know your sorority played by the rules and will be on point for next semesters Rush, why even worry about it? If something shady did happen, what comes around goes around. And if you feel the Greek Advisor is showing favortism, see if the other sorority that didnt get many NM's feels the same way and take it to your Greek Council and/or Pres. of Student Affairs.