GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,358
4 members and 1,354 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Activitivism - No Orgs and Lots of Orgs

Hello Ladies and Gents,

How many orgs works for you? By that, I mean that I've met men and women who are members of no orgs and are perfectly happy contributing members of the community and then I've met folk who are members of all of the following: of a sorority, another fraternal org, the Links, Mocha Moms, kids are in Jack & Jill, NCNW and the President of some professional, career-related org. I marvel b/c I'm trying to figure out when they sleep! LOL.

So how many orgs is the right number for you?

If anyone is an active member of a fairly large number of orgs (say 4 or more), how do you do it?

Sorority women: do you find it difficult to balance other orgs with your sorority activities as well as other things such as work, school, relationships (or socializing generally).

SC

Last edited by SummerChild; 06-06-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Great question.

Now that I'm a grownup, I had to prioritize what organizations I wanted to be more hands-on with. For me that was Sigma and NOBCChE (org for Black chemists and chemical engineers). Anything else put at an overload.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Only one org for me at the moment...Delta.... that's because I am in school working on my doctorate, have a family and a career. After school is over I may join another org (if I don't teach part time). At this point in my life I need the balance more than the "high" from trying to be all things to all people.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Having been one of those people referred to in the beginning of this thread.....simply put, you just do. You do what you have to do to make it all work....It does help that I'm not married and have no children.

Now that I'm out of school, I decided in my last semester to really start paring down my activities to focus more on me. I evaluated what I get from each and what I give to each and prioritized.

Currently, I am active in Church, Delta and the Urban League Young Professionals. Everything else is extremely secondary.

If I get bored from not being in school, watch the activities list grow again
Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I'm in two orgs right now, Gamma Sig and OES. I'm a National officer for Gamma Sig so that takes up a lot of time, especially while school is in session (I do chapter visits during that time all over the state). I'll be celebrating my first year in OES soon, and I'm hoping to become even more involved in my chapter (I am now, but want to do more).

I'm happy with the organizations I'm in and enjoy it a lot. Like DSTdimepiece I'm not married and I don't have children so I have time like that.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 06-13-2006, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I pulled stuff off my plate...

After my Ph.D. program, I was INVOLVED!!!

I was in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Then active in my church.

Then active in the Urban League Young Professionals.

Then active in my community council representatives office.

Then active in numerous community oriented organizations, some of them political.

How did I balance them? It gave me some of my life. I had more a social life when I was involved, than now, being married without kids and only just working. That is my life, now... I do enjoy my break. The other thing is I am down a different path in my life right now...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana