GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,437
1 members and 2,436 guests
naraht

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State ponders re-evaluation of fraternity system.

Thanks to a bunch of idiots at KDR, the whole (huge) Greek system is now under fire.
http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/19/pr...ernity-system/
Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Every time a chapter no matters whose screws up, all Greeks take the heat!

This years seems to have a huge crop of chapters who are in violations of National and School policys. Why is the question?

Alumni can and should step in and rein in chapters and get a handle on them. Instead of kicking whole chapters off of a campus and suspending them get rid of the rotten parts instead of throwing out the whole apple basket.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. And often they step in too late. A lot of my friends were alums of a house that was literally condemned (by the borough of State College) before the alums came in and sorted things out.

Adult supervision seems to be missing, although even if KDR had fairly tight alumni supervision, I doubt the alumni advisors would have known about the offensive FB page.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Blah, blah, blah. He's under pressure to look like a hardass because the SAE incident is reflecting on everything. It's nothing that hasn't been said a zillion times before.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Wonder if he also considered disbanding the football program after the sex abuse scandal by Jerry Sandusky and cover up by other members of the athletic department?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

A reevaluation of the system =/= abolishing fraternities at Penn State. And let's be honest and look at the news; we need to make some changes and we need to do it now.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

They are not going to abolish the Greek system, but there will be changes, and I doubt they will be changes that the Greeks will appreciate.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
A reevaluation of the system =/= abolishing fraternities at Penn State. And let's be honest and look at the news; we need to make some changes and we need to do it now.
AMEN!! If our IHQs can get in front of problems before they hit a crisis point, we won't lose so many chapters. Not going to be easy, though.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:35 PM

If the system decides to self police, which I believe it will (i.e. shunning KDR and any other groups that do things like this) I believe the school will be content to consider it a win and take credit for it.

Wasn't there a GL director there about 10 years ago who made or attempted to make changes in number of parties held? It's simply a matter of getting rid of those who are too stupid to be discreet. I don't doubt that the same sort of thing was around 30 years ago with Polaroids, but no one was dumb enough to make a giant poster of them and photocopy them at the library.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Wonder if he also considered disbanding the football program after the sex abuse scandal by Jerry Sandusky and cover up by other members of the athletic department?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
SERIOUSLY
Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

We need to reconsider the status of the athletic department.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 PM

I enjoying a bowl of Pho in my favorite little hole in the wall restaurant yesterday and there was a segment on FOX about whether greek life was even worth it any more. Who did they bring in to discuss this? Why, no one other that Alexandra Robbins! You know, the prolific author who wrote an "in depth" expose on greek life in 2005. Seriously, they couldn't find someone a bit more relevant???

I didn't get to see the segment because it came on as I was leaving but....geez.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

President Barron Announces Task Force To Evaluate Greek Life

http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/23/pr...te-greek-life/

Quote:
Damon Sims, vice president for Student Affairs, will lead the task force. Members will include vocal opposers to Greek life, undergraduate leadership and alumni leaders from Greek life, prevention experts, trustees, and representatives of national organizations.

“This comprehensive examination of fraternity and sorority life and its culture will not be simple and it may not be comfortable,” Barron said. “It will, however, be thorough and it will provide a blueprint for creating a stronger community that brings out the very best of what our fraternities and sororities can be.”

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-23-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Members will include vocal opposers to Greek life . . . ."
Is "opposers" a word?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Is "opposers" a word?
No, but I'd still like to be "apart" of that task force, representing the "non-opposer" viewpoint.