GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 06-04-2004, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

What Makes You Purchase a Novel?

Hey everyone...I'm on my way to work, but I wanted to pose this question to all of you right quick.

Many of you may not know this, but I am a writer -- currently unpublished. I've been trying to get a literary agent for the past year and a half or so. It's tough work, but I've been learning a lot about the publishing industry through my rejections.

I have also recently been investigating the option of self-publishing. I thought I knew a lot about marketing and promoting literature, but I figure I'd ask all of you this question:

What makes YOU purchase a novel?

Word of mouth?
Are you a member of a book club that makes monthly suggestions?
Do you come to GreekChat for suggestions?
Do you regularly browse bookstores for new titles? (reading the back covers, etc)
Do you read Black Issues Book Review or some ther literature-related magazine? How about book reviews in mainstream publications?

Just curious!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Usually the cover illustration. I am a sucker for Fabio. j/k.

I mainly depend on book club referrals because I don't have a lot of free time. Also, if there is a particular author that I like, I look out for the newest title.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
I don't belong to a book club, but word of mouth definitely helps.
I also look at the book covers as well. I like light suspense (Mary Higgins Clark) and absolutely LOVE John Grisham. I've read every one of his books. I love autobiographies and usually consider purchasing them (even if I don't know the author), and generally go in search of African-American fiction.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I am a book buyer (meaning when I want to read something I usually buy it).

I rely on word of mouth, recommendations from friends and family. I've also used GC as a resource for books (GC is how I heard about The Da Vinci Code and precceed to read all of Dan Brown's books). I do like to browse through bookstores and read the descriptions of books. If one tickles my fancy then I buy it.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I enjoy browsing through bookstores, and I'll keep word-of-mouth and recommendations in mind. For me the ultimate test of whether I buy a book or not is the first paragraph. If the author doesn't catch me by the end of the first paragraph, I won't spend my money on it.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I'm a BIG browser- I can stay in the bookstore for hours. A blurb on a jacket from a writer I like does wonders. Good cover art does draw the eye as well. But when all is said and done it's the story. The story and characters have to be compelling.

My new job is in publicity for a BIG ol publishing house, so I can tell you all about it in a month or so.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Toujours_Jolie
When I like an author, I usually read all his or her books (whether I know anything about the book or not). I usually find out about new authors by browsing the bookstore or reading book reviews.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Co-sign! And it doesn't help that I am in walking distance of a Chapters bookstore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toujours_Jolie
When I like an author, I usually read all his or her books (whether I know anything about the book or not). I usually find out about new authors by browsing the bookstore or reading book reviews.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses everyone, keep them coming!

In general, I browse the African American fiction and African American studies sections. For fiction, I pretty much look for the authors I am already familiar with. For non-fiction, seeing the cover helps, because I'm not automatically looking for a specific topic. Like this week, I saw the concise desktop edition of Africana, but I didn't get it because I'm holding out for the unabridged edition.

I don't generally purchase mainstream fiction unless it has been highly recommended (like the Davinci Code, which I just bought). I also like science fiction, and if I like the author, I will most likely keep supporting that author until I own all their books, like Octavia Butler.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty much a bookstore browser, too. If I recognize and author and I like their past books, I will generally buy it. I always search the AA Lit, the mystery/crime and the personal improvement sections; I buy very few biographies, though.

I have to limit myself to 3 books or $50, whichever is more, per bookstore visit!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
I have to limit myself to 3 books or $50, whichever is more, per bookstore visit!
See....I can't do that. I just spent a hunned at Borders the other day. I can't just buy books, I gotta get books and either music or DVDs.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
I can stay in B & N for HOURS. I ususally look in Af-Am non-fiction, but I like mysteries and novels too. I also look at what's on the NY Times bestseller list. I always read the back covers of books and see if it's about something I would want to read about. It doesn't matter what kind of book it is, I will just pick up any book and read the back of it. You find a lot of interesting books that way that you may not have picked up otherwise.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What Makes You Purchase a Novel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Hey everyone...I'm on my way to work, but I wanted to pose this question to all of you right quick.

Many of you may not know this, but I am a writer -- currently unpublished. I've been trying to get a literary agent for the past year and a half or so. It's tough work, but I've been learning a lot about the publishing industry through my rejections.

I have also recently been investigating the option of self-publishing. I thought I knew a lot about marketing and promoting literature, but I figure I'd ask all of you this question:

What makes YOU purchase a novel?

Word of mouth?
Are you a member of a book club that makes monthly suggestions?
Do you come to GreekChat for suggestions?
Do you regularly browse bookstores for new titles? (reading the back covers, etc)
Do you read Black Issues Book Review or some ther literature-related magazine? How about book reviews in mainstream publications?

Just curious!
I browse bookstores and look in the African American interests.

Then I am usually buying books that are biologically- or scientifically-related.

I just started a book club at my church. So I am buying the books to participate in that event.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I frequently browse the bookstore. Also, I offer suggestions (read:give) books to my friends and relatives. I love to give the gift of literacy.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I love browsing through book stores! If the book cover looks creative or artsy I usually pick it up. I also like to read the back to see if the story line sounds interesting. (I read mostly books by black authors and inspirational books). My favorites are EJD and Terry McMillan.

Essence Magazine usually does book reviews every month and I almost always purchase the novels listed there.