GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,364
1 members and 2,363 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-17-2000, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Let's lighten up a little!

To all members of Greek organizations and friends-

In the past few months, this chat board has taken on a different atmosphere. While before, everyone just seemed to have fun and learn, now we constantly have to defend ourselves and apologize. It is NO ONE'S fault entirely. However, we are ALL a little to blame.

When asking a question, think carefully about your wording. Don't be accusatory and make sure that if you are making a "factual" statement, it is, indeed, factual. If it's your opinion or educated guess, say that! Many people are sensitive, while some are not. Some do not feel the need to defend their comments, while others think they should.

Please, if you have a problem with a word in a post, or a general question being asked, don't jump down their throats. I know that I don't spend hours sitting here thinking of the most appropriate words. If I offend ever, I don't mean it (unless I state otherwise! ) People take things differently.

We also need to respect when people take offense. But please if you are offended, don't accuse someone of being insensitive because that might not be their intention! It might be, but that's when you should nicely ask them to clarify what exactly they are saying. And really only one person needs to ask, we don't need 10 people asking someone to clarify. Take things at face value initially, don't read into words.

Words are just that, words. We know that there are trouble makers on this board, but there are also honest people who just want to converse without starting problems. Try to put yourself in other people's shoes, it helps seeing where they are coming from. I know that I have understood people a lot more by pretending that I was in their situation.

Ok, not trying to start anything. I just wanted to say what I've been thinking lately about some of these posts. And I'm not talking to specific people, I just making a general, blanket statement. Life's too short to get upset by a greekchat post!

Much love to all!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2000, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Here, here! I would also add that if someone has a question, concern or response to an individual post, perhaps emailing the author would be a good idea, especially if one is seeking clarification on something.
Old 07-17-2000, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Well said, cash78mere!
Old 07-17-2000, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally, a voice of reason. Glad I am not the only one who feels this way...
Old 07-17-2000, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Sister Discogoddess...that makes nothing but sense. Sometimes we get so caught up in "seeing" our own words. In all honesty, many of the conversations taking place on these boards really could and SHOULD take place offline....what is the word we use in NPHC...DISCR...

Quote:
Originally posted by Discogoddess:
Here, here! I would also add that if someone has a question, concern or response to an individual post, perhaps emailing the author would be a good idea, especially if one is seeking clarification on something.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 07-17-2000, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I am SO SO proud of my sister cashmere! Thanks for putting the thoughts of many people into a well thought post!
Old 07-17-2000, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Cash78mere, My major is English, and right now (I am ashamed to say), I am at a lost for words. Your thoughts, suggestions, insight...the way you put it all together.....BRILLIANT! I agree with you 100% You go girl!
Old 07-17-2000, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to say to everyone who has replied--THANK YOU!!!

I was so worried that people would take offense to or become upset with this post(not a big surprise on this site ).

Discogoddess, dc1, equeen, Finerwoman, AXOalum, and Sexymocha you guys are too much! Your kind words about this post just go to show how we support each other. You have made me feel good about myself, my organization, and the Greek system as an entire.

Discogoddess--that was a wonderful idea to tell people to email the person instead of posting it. Wish I had thought of it myself. haha

You all are WONDERFUL representatives of the system (whether you're a member of an org. or not)

Much love to all.

[This message has been edited by cash78mere (edited July 17, 2000).]
Old 07-18-2000, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

OwOw!
Excellent statement. Let's network a bit from now on. How about some social activities going on in the near future? This system is designed for us to network , plan, and organize so that when we travel we can have a contact in the particular place. So what's up