GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,404
0 members and 2,404 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Tradition Question

Hey Alpha Gams!

I was wondering if other chapters participate in the "Delta" tradition like our chapter does where New Members are able to pick an upperclassmen as a sort of secondary "big". Let me know if you do or did participate in this. I have a question that I would like to PM you about Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of it, but now I'm curious!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Well it is a little like the "Sister-Mother" program but instead of a mentor relationship your Delta is like your favorite big sister to go have fun with. As far as I know our chapter has had this program set up for quite some time. It is a great way for our New Members to connect with upperclassmen in the chapter.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

It's definitely not a formalized system within Alpha Gamma Delta during the new member period, and I would know that better than most since I helped develop the Alpha Gamma Delta Experience and was heavily involved in the re-write of the VPMD handbook.

It's a great idea, provided that our Purpose stays central and guides our actions. If you'd like to PM me your question, I can more than likely direct you to an answer.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I chaired a Task Force to look at Sister-Mother program a few years ago and discovered several very cool things like that happening in some chapters. Some really large chapters have Alpha, Gamma and Delta buddies in addition to Sister-Mothers. One of them did an Alpha buddy on bid day, a Gamma buddy who was a study buddy and a Delta buddy who was a senior. While no official changes came from the task force, these types of special "buddies" were not discouraged either. I think it is a fantastic way to help different classes intermingle more, provide additional support to our new members and strengthen sisterhood

PM me with your question if you want to, katieAGD. I became pretty familiar with a variety of fun things different chapters do.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I chaired a Task Force to look at Sister-Mother program a few years ago and discovered several very cool things like that happening in some chapters. Some really large chapters have Alpha, Gamma and Delta buddies in addition to Sister-Mothers. One of them did an Alpha buddy on bid day, a Gamma buddy who was a study buddy and a Delta buddy who was a senior. While no official changes came from the task force, these types of special "buddies" were not discouraged either. I think it is a fantastic way to help different classes intermingle more, provide additional support to our new members and strengthen sisterhood

PM me with your question if you want to, katieAGD. I became pretty familiar with a variety of fun things different chapters do.
I was thinking about this as I responded, too.

yep - if you get in touch with either one of us, you're in good hands.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
I was thinking about this as I responded, too.

yep - if you get in touch with either one of us, you're in good hands.
Funny, we were posting at the same time...lol.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok. I wasn't actually aware that many chapters didn't have this sort of system in place. Thank you for letting me know, though. I guess my question would have to be directed within the chapter since our program's traditions and guidelines are probably unique.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's a cool idea! Chapter total on my campus is 30, and we're usually between 15 and 25, so it really isn't necessary here. However, I think in a bigger chapter it would be awesome!