GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,313
0 members and 1,313 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I posted this in a Chi Omega forum a few months ago -- thought I'd add it here too:

Representation in Top Athletic Conferences
I found the recent threads on NPC representation in many of the athletic conferences very interesting. It made me very proud to see Chi Omega at (or near) the top of the lists!

SEC: 12/12

Big 12: 12/12

Pac 10: 9/10

Big 10: 10/11

ACC: 7/9

Big East (after this year's reallignment): 6/17 (tied for #1)

With collegiate chapters at 170ish campuses -- we are on large state schools, small private schools, commuter campuses, etc. We are in all regions of the country. The variety is important...and good.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
I'm pretty sure debutante balls originated in Europe, not the south. Perhaps the word "debutante" is southern, though. In Jane Austen's books, she uses "coming-out" rather than
debutante. It's basically the same thing.
It's a French word in origin....if it came out of the South, it's probably from all the French people who hightailed it down there from (what is now) French-Canada.

Main Entry: 1de·but
Variant(s): also dé·but /'dA-"byü, dA-'/
Function: noun
Etymology: French début, from débuter to begin, from Middle French desbuter to play first, from des- de- + but starting point, goal -- more at BUTT
1 : a first appearance <made her singing debut>
2 : a formal entrance into society
Old 11-29-2004, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
It's a French word in origin....if it came out of the South, it's probably from all the French people who hightailed it down there from (what is now) French-Canada.

Main Entry: 1de·but
Variant(s): also dé·but /'dA-"byü, dA-'/
Function: noun
Etymology: French début, from débuter to begin, from Middle French desbuter to play first, from des- de- + but starting point, goal -- more at BUTT
1 : a first appearance <made her singing debut>
2 : a formal entrance into society
But did the French refer to their daughters' coming-out as "debutantes"?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
But did the French refer to their daughters' coming-out as "debutantes"?
Not exactly; the correct French word for the "coming out" itself is debut. Debutante (which is the feminine form; the masculine is debutant) can be either a noun or an adjective meaning "beginner." By some extension, it can mean either "one who makes a debut" (noun) or "having to do with a debut" (adjective). Thus, a woman who makes a debut is a debutante, and a ball or cotillion held for the purpose of debuts is a debutante ball or cotillion.

While these words are unquestionably French, their usage in the context of a young lady's "coming out" appears to have orginated in England and was later adopted in France.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
I posted this in a Chi Omega forum a few months ago -- thought I'd add it here too:

Representation in Top Athletic Conferences
I found the recent threads on NPC representation in many of the athletic conferences very interesting. It made me very proud to see Chi Omega at (or near) the top of the lists!

SEC: 12/12

Big 12: 12/12

Pac 10: 9/10

Big 10: 10/11

ACC: 7/9

Big East (after this year's reallignment): 6/17 (tied for #1)

With collegiate chapters at 170ish campuses -- we are on large state schools, small private schools, commuter campuses, etc. We are in all regions of the country. The variety is important...and good.
Our representation in southern states:
(# of chapters)

AL- 0
TX- 3
FL-4
LA-4
GA-2
MS-0
Ark-3
TN-0
NC-9
SC-4
VA-6
KY-2

So we're no Phi Mu or Chi Omega by any means but I think we'll get there in time.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-29-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Strangely enough, same here. I was presented with 11 other women. I am now a Tri Sigma, 4 of them are Delta's, 2 are AKA's, 2 are Sigma Gamma Rho, one is a Zeta Phi Beta, another is a Delta Gamma. The ball was given by mom's alumnae chapter of Delta Sigma Theta.
I sort of figured that the ball was from your mom's chapter. A cousin of mine was presented in a Delta ball in Charlotte, N.C. I didn't participate in the ball that my chapter presents back in 1981 or so.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
In Louisiana, most of our debutante activities are organized around a Mardi Gras Krewe. The woman's parents are members of the Krewe and when they are of age, they are presented at the Ball close to Mardi Gras. Sometimes there are a few ceremonies and/or costumes to wear for the ball. Every girl I have every known to be presented are members of sororities. These are generally the society events of the town.
Correct! I made my "debut" in the 1999 season back home in New Orleans. It was quite fun. I was also presented by the Pass Christian, MS Yacht Club on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Most debs in New Orleans are in sororities and I would say that Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Chi Omega are always strongly represented. However, I know most sororities have been represented in some way or another. Kappa has had the most queens of Mardi Gras (Queen of Rex.)
Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
So we're no Phi Mu or Chi Omega by any means but I think we'll get there in time.
Awww Jocelyn, you edited your post so many times that now your initial compliment to Chi Omega is gone. (Just wanted you to know I saw it & I appreciated it.)
Old 11-29-2004, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
I had a friend who was a debutante. My cousin was too (later she walked out in the middle of her pinning ceremony then laughed when i joined a sorority) I'm further convinced by Jocelyn's post that the South is an entirely different contry than the mid-west.

I just wish I could explain the mid-west...prom in our gym, and our parents paid to watch it ...yep that was the highlight.
Prom in your gym? WTF? That's not a midwestern thing at all - at least not in the urban areas. My prom was at a pavilion at the Zoo that's used for charity fundraising and the other proms I went to were at hotels or restaurants on the lake.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
This is so funny. I wanted to be a Phi Mu so badly BECAUSE of the alumnae I knew. They are everywhere in Louisiana. There is no way around it. There are 9 chapters in LA. Almost every college in the state has a chapter. I checked out a few other states in the South to show a comparison:
Alabama 11
Mississippi 5
Georgia 14
Florida 3 (but everyone knows that FL isn't really southern
N Carolina 9
S Carolina 4
Tennesee 5
Virginia 6

And I had wondered why we are always mentioned as Southern. I am proud of that. I am Southern and married a Southern man (Kappa Alpha Order-also a Southern Fraternity). We have a portrait of Robert E. Lee in our living room-he is historical in both as honorary member(phi mu)/spritual founder (KA). Can't have that in the north.
There are four Phi Mu chapters in Kentucky.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Our representation in southern states:
(# of chapters)

AL- 0
TX- 3
FL-4
LA-4
GA-2
MS-0
Ark-3
TN-0
NC-9
SC-4
VA-6

Kentucky has two Sigma Sigma Sigma chapters.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Prom in your gym? WTF? That's not a midwestern thing at all - at least not in the urban areas. My prom was at a pavilion at the Zoo that's used for charity fundraising and the other proms I went to were at hotels or restaurants on the lake.
Cool! Mine was at an old department store restaurant that used to be a place that competed with hotels. It wasn't just your regular restaurant, as many events, including Toronto's first car show and auctions as well as radio broadcasts of the TSO were held there. Many Toronto area high schools held their formals there in the late 90s. These days, there are more venues, as many older movie theatres have converted to events theatres.

This is the Arcadian Court's website: http://www.arcadiancourt.ca/index1.htm
Old 11-29-2004, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Our H S Proms were in the Gymnasium also. Big enough to hold two classes and dates.

Jrs., did the decoration and design in honor for the Seniors. This was in the Kansas City Metro area. All did it that way back in "the old days"! LOL!

Kansas City has two Debutante comings out yearly. Usuallky at the Nelson-Atkins Gallery of History and Arts.

One for well, I dont want to go into that. They are seperate because they want to be.

Missouri is also considered Southern along with Texas, Ks was a Free State in a lot of polotics played back in those days.

The first Battle of the Civil War was in and between Kansas and Missouri not at Fort Summter., the Gettysburg of the West was in KC Mo. Last major battle of the Civil War was in Ark at Pea Ridge.

The lists that most put on Site are from the Old Mason Dixon Line. Just a Survey at the time, not a divider from North and South. Actually, Maryland was considered Souther at the time.

I think it just showed a genteeler time then.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-29-2004, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Hmm. I actually know four of the girls debuting in Mississippi...two Greek, two not.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
We had ours in the Dayton Masonic Temple, but freshman year I went with a guy from another school and theirs was in their gym. I was really confused.