GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,455
3 members and 2,452 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Death Row inmate says he is too fat to be executed

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Aug...yCooey,00.html

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A death row inmate scheduled for execution says he's too fat to be put to death, claiming executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argue in a federal lawsuit that Cooey _ 5-feet-7 and 267 pounds _ had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and the problem has been worsened by weight gain.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures.

Cooey, 41, is sentenced to die for raping and murdering two young women in 1986. His execution is scheduled for Oct. 14.

His attorneys say a drug he is taking for migraine headaches could affect the execution process. The drug Topamax, a type of seizure medication, may have created a resistance to thiopental, the drug used to put inmates to sleep before two other lethal drugs are administered, Dr. Mark Heath, a physician hired by the Ohio Public Defender's Office, said in documents filed with the court.

Heath says Cooey's weight, combined with the potential drug resistance, increases the risk he would not be properly anesthetized.

"All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating," Cooey's public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday.
I'm not sure if I understand why this is such an issue.

1) Why does it even matter if they can feel pain or not when they die? I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant or peaceful experience when the 2 girls he raped and murdered were enduring what he was doing to them.

2) If it really does matter that he is in such a state of comfort when he dies, why can't they put him on a diet and take him off those meds?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
1) Why does it even matter if they can feel pain or not when they die? I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant or peaceful experience when the 2 girls he raped and murdered were enduring what he was doing to them.
Because the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution forbids the government from imposing "cruel and unusual punishment."
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, we have heard this one before. It would be inhumane. Yadda yadda yadda. Was it uncruel and usual what you did to your victim?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Yes, we have heard this one before. It would be inhumane. Yadda yadda yadda. Was it uncruel and usual what you did to your victim?
That was along the lines of my thinking.

Whatever he did to whoever else obviously wasn't a pleasant experience... because it got him on death row... why again do we owe him one?

Is he just trying to get out of it or something by saying "well, sorry guys! I know I was sentenced to die for raping & murdering people, but I'm too big! I'll just hang out here for 40 more years until I die naturally!"
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I see your point. And yeah, it was beyond cruel and inhumane what he did to his victims.

That doesn't change the fact that the Founding Fathers, following developments in English law, believed it was important to prohibit cruel and unusual punishment. It also doesn't change that many courts have found lethal injection to violate this provision if there is not adequate guarantee of unconciousness prior to execution. While it has upheld lethal injection in general, the Supreme Court has still left open the possibility that in some instances, lethal injection could violate the Eighth Amendment.

And sure he's trying to get out of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

He's not too much of a lard ass to be lethally injected.

If this excuse flies, maybe they can put him on a health and fitness plan. Except it will be so he can die sooner rather than live longer.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure there's some gallows sturdy enough to hold him.

If only we could get Isaac Parker to come back from the grave to Ft. Smith.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

If this excuse flies, maybe they can put him on a health and fitness plan. Except it will be so he can die sooner rather than live longer.
his victim was too much alive to die...but he killed them....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

"Would you get skinny already so we can finally just kill you?!?"

yeah that would go over well... lol
Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not that difficult to place a central line for IV access. Yeah it has to be an MD to place the line, but it can be done very easily. As for the medication issue, I'm sure that won't hold up either. If it does then everyone on death row is going to get fat and use the same excuse.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I see your point. And yeah, it was beyond cruel and inhumane what he did to his victims.

That doesn't change the fact that the Founding Fathers, following developments in English law, believed it was important to prohibit cruel and unusual punishment. It also doesn't change that many courts have found lethal injection to violate this provision if there is not adequate guarantee of unconciousness prior to execution. While it has upheld lethal injection in general, the Supreme Court has still left open the possibility that in some instances, lethal injection could violate the Eighth Amendment.

And sure he's trying to get out of it.
Exactly - we can go back and forth about the moral issues involved, but this is the major point. I'm guessing that this situation, however self-induced, would be one of those situations where it would be "cruel and unusual."

It doesn't excuse what he did, but it's the reality of the law.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
A sledgehammer to the noggin would make him unconscious before the injections...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
A sledgehammer to the noggin would make him unconscious before the injections...
I motion to bring back the guillotine.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
I motion to bring back the guillotine.
Cosign
Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
My brother often said, "How much does a bullet cost?"