GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,324
0 members and 2,324 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2001, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Question SIGMA GAMMA RHO PAVES THE WAY FOR A FRATERNITY.........

SoRHOrs....
Did you know we are responsible for originating what is know as a fraternity today...along with a "little sisters" affiliation (i put this in quotes because the NPHC has disallowed interests groups as we all are well aware of.....) Now back in the day i knew RHOMEOS to be a group of men with the purpose of assisting the woman of SIGMA GAMMA RHO with the uplifting of the organization....But from what i have seen the have come alooooooooooooooong was. Here is a sample of a quote that i saw on a web page (and there are many of them....)

"Welcome to the Beta Gamma Chapter of The Fraternal Order of Classy Gentlemen. This organization was originated in 1936 by the wonderful woman of SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority, INC. This Fraternity has surpassed many milstones, leaving it's impression on the present, and making giant leaps toward the future. On behalf of the Beta Gamma Chapter in Marshal, TX, we invite you to sit back, relax, leave your world, and experience ours....."

And the have a "little sisters" (see disclaimer above) interest group called the JULLIETTES....

From what i could gather, they are set up just like the other frats....with conferences,governing bodies, etc....

I was reading some of the information and postings...SoRHOrs call them FRAT, and they call os SOROR...From what i can gather from what i have read so far they are a groing organization.

I also detected that from the readings that some of them have "beef" with the KAPPAs...i guess it is that INDIANA LOVE thang....

They carry canes...Colors are RHOYAL BLUE AND ANTIQUE GOLD. I gather that their call is SKEET SKEET. Although I also read something like a responce is MEOW....I have to go do some more research on that..

Well i guess gave a general overview. Of course i am going to include the links below.

Check it out and PLEASE tell me what you think. I think it is wonderful. I feel kind of proud that something we touched and continued to grow into something so big...I understand about all the ramifications of "FRATERNITY" status...And how other BGLOs may feel. They do state in one of their web pages that they ARE NOT GREEK? I guess i do not feel threatened, so i really think it is sort of a tribute to our GREATNESS!!!!!!
www.ou.edu/student/romeos/index3.html http://www.mtsu.edu/~rhomeo
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2001, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I've met one Rhomeo so far and he is a very nice man!!!! Very respectful and truely treats all SGRho's as his sisters. He realizes that our "official" ties were broken loooong time ago, but he still has much love for us because of our history.

I have however run into websites of other Rhomeos that i'm not too fond of... some that disrespect the history of how they came about (claiming they didnt originate from us), or those that disrespect the fact that we are now 2 separate entities (i once saw a picture of a Rhomeo wearing an SGRho jacket, now why a man would want to wear sorority letters is beyond me..)
Old 04-07-2001, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Don't get me started on this subject.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 04-07-2001, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:
Don't get me started on this subject.

Go ahead - get started. I am always interested in what you have to say.
Old 04-07-2001, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I checked these sites out. Thank God for technology because I wouldn't know much about this at all since it seems to be a regional thing. I met one Rhomeo who was a teacher at the school I worked in last year. He was also a member of Phi Beta Sigma and married to a Soror. He was a very nice guy.

I was also checking out other sites for other auxilliary groups like the Delta Beaus/Gents. There are so many groups I can't keep up.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

During my quest to find a sisterhood I learned about the Sigma Rhomeos and Jullietes. They started as the husbands and boyfriends and brotherfriends of Sigma Gamma Rho. Memphis, Tennesee is crawling with at least a fifty of them in there chapter that was back in 98 anyway.

A lot of them do have a lot of "beef" with the Kappas, why I couldn't tell you. But from talking to them one thinks the other isn't a real organization. One thinks the others aren't real men and just wannabe pretty boys. Then there's the they don't have the same style of MIP as whomever.

Along side that there is the Iotas who claim SGRho as there sisters, how this came about I guess cause Iotas are the babyes of the Divine 9 so they leaned with Sigma to catch up to what happened all the years before them.

For those who might want to look into it other rarily heard of organizations are the delta beaus/gents, zeta knights, miAKA's, kappa/krimson diamonds, kappa kourt, kappa kittens, omega essence, kappa siholuettes (excuse the spelling), omega pearls, omega gems, QUEttes, alpha angels, sigma doves, and who knows what else but those are some I studied when searching for sisterhood and related organizations.

In addition to the divine 9 there are a host of other organizations that we rarily hear about like G phi G and Swing Phi Swings, Emeralds, Kappa something Iotas who claims to be the literary versions of Sigma Gamma Rho or have there issues based from the same doctrines and there colors are Pink and Gold-I don't know anything about them like that so you'll have to look them up. They were found in I think Hampton, Va.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Popular misconception.

We do not CLAIM Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. as our sisters. We have a growing love and respect for one another and some members of both call each other frat or soror.

HOWEVER.................

Iota Phi Theta and Sigma Gamma Rho are TWO separate organizations and thrive alone.

However, when we get around each other, chill, and do some projects together IT'S ALL LUV!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD bless all you wonderful ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho and much much luv.

Hope that clears this up.........

Quote:
Originally posted by CodeBlue_R3:
During my quest to find a sisterhood I learned about the Sigma Rhomeos and Jullietes. They started as the husbands and boyfriends and brotherfriends of Sigma Gamma Rho. Memphis, Tennesee is crawling with at least a fifty of them in there chapter that was back in 98 anyway.

A lot of them do have a lot of "beef" with the Kappas, why I couldn't tell you. But from talking to them one thinks the other isn't a real organization. One thinks the others aren't real men and just wannabe pretty boys. Then there's the they don't have the same style of MIP as whomever.

Along side that there is the Iotas who claim SGRho as there sisters, how this came about I guess cause Iotas are the babyes of the Divine 9 so they leaned with Sigma to catch up to what happened all the years before them.

For those who might want to look into it other rarily heard of organizations are the delta beaus/gents, zeta knights, miAKA's, kappa/krimson diamonds, kappa kourt, kappa kittens, omega essence, kappa siholuettes (excuse the spelling), omega pearls, omega gems, QUEttes, alpha angels, sigma doves, and who knows what else but those are some I studied when searching for sisterhood and related organizations.

In addition to the divine 9 there are a host of other organizations that we rarily hear about like G phi G and Swing Phi Swings, Emeralds, Kappa something Iotas who claims to be the literary versions of Sigma Gamma Rho or have there issues based from the same doctrines and there colors are Pink and Gold-I don't know anything about them like that so you'll have to look them up. They were found in I think Hampton, Va.

------------------
Suntzu 1963
Member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
4-FALL-99
UVA Colony
OW OW
LIPTTDID
W.W.N.O.R.T.

http://www.angelfire.com/va2/suntzuipt4uva

-"Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content, will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual."

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by CodeBlue_R3:

What?
Girl, it's just a friendship thang, as my Iota Cyberfriend stated.

[This message has been edited by BlueReign (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Much luv to that WONDERFUL, BLUETIFUL Lady of RHOyalty Miss Moderator BlueReign and to all you wonderful ladies who show luv to ALL (not just us).

I respect Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. SO MUCH not because we want a "BOND" with them like other organizations have, but because I love what the organization stands for and what they do for the community.

Y'all keeping holdin' it down and never change.

Whenever you see a brother of I-Phi just shOW us some luv. That's all I (and many of my frat bros.) want.

------------------
Suntzu 1963
4-FALL-99
UVA Colony
OW OW
LIPTTDID
W.W.N.O.R.T.

-"Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content, will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual."

Old 04-19-2001, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by suntzu1963:
Much luv to that WONDERFUL, BLUETIFUL Lady of RHOyalty Miss Moderator BlueReign and to all you wonderful ladies who show luv to ALL (not just us).
Thanks Friend! I just love all the Divine 9 but there is a special place here (hand-over-heart) just for Iota Phi Theta.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

awwwww thanks *blushing*

GOD bless you, your sorority, and your amazing founders.

(I have a special place in my heart for your founders since my grandmother *who raised me* was a wonderful teacher and educator just like they were)
Old 04-28-2001, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

i have a meet a few rhomeo's from morris college...and from what i have seen from them they are wonderful...they have given me and my sorors nothing but respect since they first met us....i do know that on my campus we get more respect from the rhomeos then our brothers the kappas....so for me i support the rhomeo and they support us.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzu1963 View Post

I respect Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. SO MUCH not because we want a "BOND" with them like other organizations have, but because I love what the organization stands for and what they do for the community.

Y'all keeping holdin' it down and never change.

Whenever you see a brother of I-Phi just shOW us some luv. That's all I (and many of my frat bros.) want.

------------------
Suntzu 1963
4-FALL-99
UVA Colony
OW OW
LIPTTDID
W.W.N.O.R.T.

Today, we were having a discussion, and a kappa made it known that their fraternity did not claim SGRHOs with a sour look on his face, but that is ok. I love my sorority and I chose it for a reason. Whoever you are, I just want you to know that there is much love from me to the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity and I love u!!!

leavy76
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavy76 View Post
Today, we were having a discussion, and a kappa made it known that their fraternity did not claim SGRHOs with a sour look on his face, but that is ok. I love my sorority and I chose it for a reason. Whoever you are, I just want you to know that there is much love from me to the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity and I love u!!!

leavy76
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
Hi soror... you wanna intRHOduce yourself in the RHOll call?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow.... GC was doing THE MOST in 2001!