GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,256
0 members and 1,256 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2003, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

What happened to the Sigma Nu colony at CSULB?

Hello Gentlemen!

From 1995 to 2001 I attended California State University Long Beach. Somewhere around 1997-98 we had a Sigma Nu colony on campus. One of my friends was a founding member of the colony. He was such a nice guy and I knew he was proud to wear his pledge pin wherever he went. However, I lost track of how the guys were doing and it appears that the colony folded. Am I imagining things or does that sound about right?

.....Kelly
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Re: What happened to the Sigma Nu colony at CSULB?

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Hello Gentlemen!

From 1995 to 2001 I attended California State University Long Beach. Somewhere around 1997-98 we had a Sigma Nu colony on campus. One of my friends was a founding member of the colony. He was such a nice guy and I knew he was proud to wear his pledge pin wherever he went. However, I lost track of how the guys were doing and it appears that the colony folded. Am I imagining things or does that sound about right?

.....Kelly
I'm not sure there was one... I was a colony member from 99 until we chartered in 2002 and never heard about a colony in Cali. I could be wrong.

It may have been an interest group. I'd probably have a record of it somewhere or had it mentioned to me by the director of expansion back then.

So not totally sure... But if it was only an interest group they may have given up or died out.

Unfortunate, we have a TON of chapters in Cali that would probably be very supportive of colonies.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-08-2003, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the insight. It might have been "just" an interest group as I saw a lot of flyers that said, "Be a part of something Nu". Though, do participants in interest groups typically wear pledge pins? I distinctly remember him wearing a little round button with coiled snake on it.

Also, I recall during our "Week of Welcome", where student organizations have tables out for students to browse, that there were guys with Sigma Nu shirts around. I know I'm remembering correctly because I embarassed myself when I accidentally called a Sigma Pi a Sigma Nu. I simply had a brain fart and wasn't paying close enough attention - their shirts looked very similar

At any rate, I'm sure that it was 1997-1998....pretty sure....

Oh well, the mystery deepens!

.....Kelly
Old 05-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Thanks for the insight. It might have been "just" an interest group as I saw a lot of flyers that said, "Be a part of something Nu". Though, do participants in interest groups typically wear pledge pins? I distinctly remember him wearing a little round button with coiled snake on it.

Also, I recall during our "Week of Welcome", where student organizations have tables out for students to browse, that there were guys with Sigma Nu shirts around. I know I'm remembering correctly because I embarassed myself when I accidentally called a Sigma Pi a Sigma Nu. I simply had a brain fart and wasn't paying close enough attention - their shirts looked very similar

At any rate, I'm sure that it was 1997-1998....pretty sure....

Oh well, the mystery deepens!

.....Kelly
What you're describing would actually be a colony. Those Candidate pins are worn by colony members until they recieve a charter. Never heard of a colony going away like that though. We took 3 years to recieve our charter as did the new chapter down in Nagodoches, TX.

It also sounds extremely similar to the way we were brought on -- it wasn't very effective which is why we took 3 years to get our charter.

They've completely retooled the expansion/chartering process and after a 3 year drought (McKendree College in 1999) we were founded in 2002. Then 3 more chapters already founded this year (that's not counting recharters).
Old 06-04-2003, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to crash, however I saw this and had to respond as I knew many of the guys myself. They participated in our events with the chapter from CSUF-Lambda Upsilon chapter(I know, my BF is from that chapter). It turns out they folded because they were a little extra interested in the social aspect of fraternity life and less in the actual development of their colony. It was between 95-97/8 because that is when my chapter would do events/mixers/whatnot with the guys at Fullerton. Anyhow, the state of Greek life at CSULB is not so good, but that is a whole new thread in and of itself.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

That's a real shame. That would explain why I'd never heard of them. Our colony formed in '99.

Sigma Nu's old colonization process (in my opinion) is MUCH more clear-cut and just generally better than it used to be.

A group now can realistically expect to charter in 3 semesters.

I wore my Candidate pin for 3 years as a colonist.