GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,651
2 members and 1,649 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
I highlighted the above quote/question because for some reason, seeing people eating alone does bother me. Always has. I always feel like they're alone, and have no one--knowing it's very possible that there are 18 folk back at the house aggravating the fire out of them and they just want to get away.

But still, seeing single diners in restaurants, particulary elderly people, gives me an unexplainable twinge of sadness.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Then the solo/non-solo thing is kind of a big deal to you.

I don't understand some people's need to find a "plus one" for everything. There are people who won't do anything (non-work related) if they don't have someone to accompany them. Going out "on the town", attending religious services, etc. It is one thing to want someone to accompany you but to absolutely need someone to accompany you is different
I feel this way about the movies, the beach and vacationing. I feel like those things are specifically supposed to be shared experiences. IMO though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The other activity I love doing alone is shopping. I've never understood why some people feel this always has to be done in a team/group and I actually usually drive people crazy when I do shop with them because I dart from place to place.
Seriously. Unless I need a specific opinion, nope. I take FOREVER to shop, and often leave empty handed.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I am usually doing at least 2 things at a time all the time. I guess if I took my iPad out to eat with me, I would be fine going alone but I cannot just sit there waiting for them to take my order, waiting for them to bring my food, waiting for my check, etc. with nothing to do. Another person provides that "something to do" in talking with them. Even then, I'm usually making origami out of the straw papers and stuff. I cannot just sit there and wait with nothing to do. I'm not sure I know how to relax anymore. I blame grad school.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with you, Dee. I don't mind stopping in a counter service place and eating alone, but not a sit down restaurant where there's waiting involved...alone, without social conversation. I like shopping alone because I know what I need and I just want to get it.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There used to be a time when a single diner would be asked if they minded having another single diner join them, or always forced to the bar, but those days are pretty much gone, thank God.
I notice in some places (usually when I travel), I get met with a minor attitude when I am seated solo at a table. Usually it's from a server who is annoyed thinking they just got shortchanged a second person at a 2-top and thus extra tip money.

I do try to circumvent this in unfamiliar places by either a) using OpenTable to search for restaurants accepting reservations for 1 vs 2 or b) Letting the hostess know I am willing to sit in the bar area provided it's nonsmoking and offers full menu service. I usually have my Kindle or iPad with me and often use that time to catch up on social media, magazine reading, or light emails.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 AM
GreekChat Member

My cousin and I bought the subscription series for Broadway in Detroit this year. We were going to renew and her situation has changed so she can't do it next year. I'm on the fence about what to do. Should I renew for just myself and go solo or get a subscription for two and invite others to join me for different shows? What to do, what to do?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
I notice in some places (usually when I travel), I get met with a minor attitude when I am seated solo at a table. Usually it's from a server who is annoyed thinking they just got shortchanged a second person at a 2-top and thus extra tip money.

I do try to circumvent this in unfamiliar places by either a) using OpenTable to search for restaurants accepting reservations for 1 vs 2 or b) Letting the hostess know I am willing to sit in the bar area provided it's nonsmoking and offers full menu service. I usually have my Kindle or iPad with me and often use that time to catch up on social media, magazine reading, or light emails.
Oh boo hoo. That's the whole point of this thread!! Don't let them shunt you to the bar...the waiter's paycheck is not your problem. If you want a booth, you should get one. If you really feel bad, then go at an odd time of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
My cousin and I bought the subscription series for Broadway in Detroit this year. We were going to renew and her situation has changed so she can't do it next year. I'm on the fence about what to do. Should I renew for just myself and go solo or get a subscription for two and invite others to join me for different shows? What to do, what to do?
Go solo!!! Great way to meet people who like the same thing you do.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating alone at nice restaurants can be really a special experience. I went to RSNA in Chicago in December for a week and ate at a fine dining restaurant every night. Those restaurants take extra special care of single diners. Moto, in particular, brought me extra glasses of wine for my tasting menu and took me on a tour of the kitchen at the end of my meal. The waiters were extra attentive, chatting with me and discussing each dish more than they usually would. I had a wonderful experience and know that it would not have been the same if my husband had been there. That being said, I want to go back with my husband so he can experience Moto because of the playful avant garde cuisine.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a wonderful experience in the UK. I have wanted to see the RSC in Stratford for years and had the opportunity to take a couple of days to do so. No one else was interested. (Their loss IMO). I bought as good a ticket as was available and took advantage of the pre-theater dinners at an exquisite restaurant. I dressed up, had a fabulous time dining as I asked the waiter about his favorite actors and then went to the theatre. The performance was magical, and I had some wonderful conversation with my seat "neighbours". It would have been fun with a companion, but I made up my mind it would be fun by myself.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Let me preface this by saying I am an introvert.

I love doing things alone. I was just in Starbucks totally by myself with my laptop, enjoying my drink. Like 80% of the time, I'd prefer to do things alone.

For the other 20%, I'd like others to come, but usually just 1-2 other friends rather than a HUGE group.

Dinner with a few girlfriends that turns into "party of 8" is really not my thing (unless it's a special occasion.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I will be having my first big test on this subject. I will be going on vacation to Europe by myself next week. I am an EXTROVERT, and I'm a little worried about missing out on some things because I won't want to do them alone. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to doing exactly what I want to do for the amount of time I want to do it.

So my plan is to make friends on the boat (river cruise on the Danube) quickly and have a nice mix of community and screw them I'm going over there for awhile moments. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Banned

Good luck! Have fun! Be safe!

You probably already know this but make sure a friend or family member knows how to contact you and vice versa.

Let us know how NOT lonely your trip was.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I predict that you will have a blast! The trip seems to incorproate a good balance of solo time and group time. Viel glueck!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the best things about my life is "6 degrees of separation" is very real to me. I posted a comment on facebook about my plans in one of the cities and a good friend of mine asked if I will be in Bratislava or Vienna, that she can arrange some friends to get together. I am, so we'll see what comes of that! The American Women's Association is very much like a worldwide sorority, and we have each others' backs. While in Dubai I played host to a completely random American from Belgium who was thinking about moving to Dubai and wanted to have coffee. I gathered a group of friends, she did in fact move and she is friends with those women now!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the outting for me. There are some places I would not want to go alone, and eating alone at a restaurant is one of them. But then there are some places I go where I prefer to be by myself. People get on my nerves sometimes, and it's those times I'd rather be by myself.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
One of the best things about my life is "6 degrees of separation" is very real to me. I posted a comment on facebook about my plans in one of the cities and a good friend of mine asked if I will be in Bratislava or Vienna, that she can arrange some friends to get together. I am, so we'll see what comes of that! The American Women's Association is very much like a worldwide sorority, and we have each others' backs. While in Dubai I played host to a completely random American from Belgium who was thinking about moving to Dubai and wanted to have coffee. I gathered a group of friends, she did in fact move and she is friends with those women now!
Paging Benzgirl. Benzgirl travels to Europe on her own regularly.