GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,587
1 members and 1,586 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ECU campus ministry hosts "Don't Go Greek"

I did a search and didn't find anything, which surprises me. So, if I just missed it, I apologize.

East Carolina's Breakthrough Campus Ministry hosted Fred Hatchett in late October for a "Don't Go Greek" lecture. Of course, being familiar with FH, I'm not surprised that he is still trying to make the circuit... but I am surprised that ECU allowed itself to be part of said circuit. I almost hate to bring this up, simply because I don't want to give FH any more attention than he already has. However, I find the topic interesting.

Here's the story from the East Carolinian:
http://media.www.theeastcarolinian.c...llegeheadlines

I know there are a few ECU Greeks here. I'm wondering if any of them attended the lecture? If so, what were your opinions? Was his argument persuasive at all, or was it one of those things where, if you went into the lecture knowing that you agreed with him, you left in agreement, and likewise, if you went knowing you disagreed, you left still in disagreement?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Who was smoking what when they actually hired Fred Hatchett to speak??

I would seriously question the student activities office if they used student funds to further his assholery.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

"Addressing an audience of predominantly Greek organization members, Hatchett spoke out against the secrecy of pledging, saying that Greek organizations place themselves apart from society, changing from humanity to humanism."

How effective is his message/marketing if all he is doing is speaking to people who have already gone Greek? Honestly, I've tried to read and follow some of his arguments and generally they are just not well presented. It must have been a painful session to sit through!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

oh god...the minute i saw the thread title, i knew Hatchett's name would be involved....*sigh*

my thing about Hatchett is that he doesnt talk about ALL greeks, he just focuses on the NPHC. its like he could give a flying fuck about the rest of the greekdom, but his sole mission in life now is to destroy the NPHC(not even the other bglos that arent nphc)...i have no respect for this dude, cuz he was on the inside and he knows what our respective orgs are all about. its not my fault, or anyone else's fault but his own that he was too weak to not let the "omega life" consume him...i dont normally get mad about stuff, even when people try to diss SIGMA, i brush that shit off my shoulders, but yo, this dude Hatchett makes my blood boil for some apparent reason. yo, i swear if i ever saw this dude in person, it would be a problem for him...REAL TALK!!!

I BELIEVE IN ALL THAT PHI BETA SIGMA REPRESENTS. AND I WILL HERALD AND DEFEND IT, EVEN AGAINST THE WORLD!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I did a search and didn't find anything, which surprises me. So, if I just missed it, I apologize.

East Carolina's Breakthrough Campus Ministry hosted Fred Hatchett in late October for a "Don't Go Greek" lecture. Of course, being familiar with FH, I'm not surprised that he is still trying to make the circuit... but I am surprised that ECU allowed itself to be part of said circuit. I almost hate to bring this up, simply because I don't want to give FH any more attention than he already has. However, I find the topic interesting.

Here's the story from the East Carolinian:
http://media.www.theeastcarolinian.c...llegeheadlines

I know there are a few ECU Greeks here. I'm wondering if any of them attended the lecture? If so, what were your opinions? Was his argument persuasive at all, or was it one of those things where, if you went into the lecture knowing that you agreed with him, you left in agreement, and likewise, if you went knowing you disagreed, you left still in disagreement?
From what I hear about this guy, he really sounds nuts.