GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,464
1 members and 1,463 guests
atylerlttleoz15

Old 10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Post What makes a sorority, a sorority?

As most GCers know, i am a co-founder of my local and from the beginning people on my campus have asked me what makes my sorority, a sorority. (in many different forms, but that is the question)
My answer has always been that what makes a group a sorority is the bond that members develop between one another, for some groups an oath, a commitment between people, that resembles the commitment in a regular family. Different groups can branch off their own variation of what type of relationship that would be, ours, since it is female only, is a sisterhood bond. This makes us a sorority. (For other groups, i understand that the meaning of sorority, could be very different from what I believe)
But that is the reason why that I started this thread. I wanted to know other opinions from greeks and non greeks-- What do you think makes a sorority or a fraternity a fraternity??
Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the following make a sorority:

1. A clear purpose and set of ideals that all members agree upon and commit to uphold.

2. Rituals and traditions that are known only to the members, and hold special meaning that only they would understand.

3. The expectation that the organization will be a life-long priority in a member's life, which includes participating in activities that further the organization's purpose as well as those that strengthen the bonds of sisterhood, contributing financially, and setting a good example so that women in future generations will want to seek membership (and thus, keep the organization going for years to come).
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

For me, a large part of it is that bond. The fact that no matter that I'm not very good friends with Suzy Sigma Kappa, I'd go out of my way to help her out if she needed something just because she's my sister.

That whole, when my sister's in trouble so am I song...

There's also the history and the purpose behind our sorority, and a bunch of other things too... but I'll start rambling
Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LunaP
[quote=OmegaPDPrez;1533962]
My answer has always been that what makes a group a sorority is the bond that members develop between one another, for some groups an oath, a commitment between people, that resembles the commitment in a regular family. Different groups can branch off their own variation of what type of relationship that would be, ours, since it is female only, is a sisterhood bond. This makes us a sorority. /quote]

ITA with that definition. I've actually been asked this question too. My sisters and I had just founded our sorority back in Spring, and were asked by members of another local why we felt like we were a sorority, or rather what right we had. My answer was essentially the same thing.

Someone once told me that the only difference between a club and a GLO was letters. And I was like..... >_<
Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't agree more, OPDPrez. It's all about the bond between the sisters. The symbols that you share, even the ritual itself -- they are really there just to build the bond that you describe. And like birth sisters, you don't have to be best friends with every one of your sorority sisters. But when the chips are down you know you can depend on your sisters because there is this... indescribable something ... that ties you all together.

When I joined OPhiA in college, I could have easily found an outlet to do community service in any of a number of other great college organizations that were active on my campus. But I wanted the sisterhood part, too, and I found it. Honestly, at that point I wasn't thinking about the lifetime aspect of membership --- that was just a bonus that I really learned to appreciate after I graduated.

Great thread topic!