GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,329
2 members and 2,327 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2023, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega story on the 19th

https://19thnews.org/2023/07/chi-ome...member-removal

"Chi Omega sisters across the country say they want more expansive guidelines around who can be a part of their organization, after The 19th published a piece about a nonbinary person being kicked out of their sorority."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2023, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they're worried about pledging a transsexual because of the current KKG suit (several U of Wyoming members are suing the national office and the local chapter--it's awful.)
Old 07-05-2023, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Does describing yourself as nonbinary place you as a member of a protected race, religion, or ethnic background? If not, then Chi Omega's public written membership policy as written in the article applies.

Changing sorority policy and bylaws occurs via specific guidelines, not simply by individual chapter decisions.

The article states, "St Lawrence University received permission from the national organization" to allow Guzman to rush, but was that national organization NPC or Chi Omega?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I will be the first person to say I don't necessarily understand nonbinary. It doesn't mean that because we don't understand it, we should immediately dismiss it as wrong.

That being said, if the chapter selected this person for membership and they have been a member for a year, why would Chi Omega national want to get involved in it? It's just asking to stir up a hornet's nest that needn't be touched. Clearly the chapter wanted them as a member, and they wanted to be a member. Completely different from the KKG case.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. Having read the XO membership criteria listed in the poorly written article, it appears that Fabian does not meet the present day requirements for membership. It seems the chapter went rogue and pledged and initiated Fabian anyway. Perhaps the chapter was not entirely forthcoming to XO nationals, which is why the situation is being addressed now.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You understand "non-binary" individuals have notnecessarily undergone hormone therapy or surgery. Even though they were born male, they've decided they're female.
So physically, they still have all their male equipment, but they've just declared they are female. And, I assume, have begun dressing that way. Although truly, how you dress shouldn't matter.

Not to mention the article has several inaccuracies, such as implying that the national Chi Omega organization gave permission for non-binary individuals to go through recruitment.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Do you think that it's possible that the Director of Greek Life contacted the sororities at the campus and said we have a non-binary student wanting to go through recruitment, and are you ok with that? Doesn't mean they're ok with them JOINING their chapter - just means they're fine with them going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
You understand "non-binary" individuals have notnecessarily undergone hormone therapy or surgery. Even though they were born male, they've decided they're female.
So physically, they still have all their male equipment, but they've just declared they are female. And, I assume, have begun dressing that way. Although truly, how you dress shouldn't matter.

Not to mention the article has several inaccuracies, such as implying that the national Chi Omega organization gave permission for non-binary individuals to go through recruitment.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Non-binary means they don't identify as either male or female exclusively. Non-binary people can feel that their gender identity and gender experience involves being both a man and a woman, or that it is fluid, in between, or completely outside of that binary.