GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,294
1 members and 2,293 guests
navane

Old 01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Going through an interview process...

Hi,

So I applied for a position earlier this week and they called me within 24 hours to have a "casual" conversation over the phone. She asked me to send her some references and that the other partner in the firm would call me to have the same "casual" conversation. The other conversation went well and he said she would call me soon to set up a formal face to face interview. Well, one of my references got a call from her yesterday and this reference told me that she has two concerns about me 1)That I won't be able to handle the high-stress environment and 2) That I am only 2 years out of college (even though I'm 25) (I took 5 years instead of 4 to graduate). I've had a pretty good instinctive feeling about things up to this point. I know this what we provide references to potential employers for but I'm just concerned. I know my references would support me and back me up but I just now have somewhat of a bad feeling. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ETA: The reference told me this information, I didn't ask her about the conversation because I know those are supposed to be confidential. I was actually a little offended that the refernce would actually reveal this much, I would of rather not known.

Last edited by PhiMuLady150; 01-07-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

Re: Going through an interview process...

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiMuLady150
Hi,

So I applied for a position earlier this week and they called me within 24 hours to have a "casual" conversation over the phone. She asked me to send her some references and that the other partner in the firm would call me to have the same "casual" conversation. The other conversation went well and he said she would call me soon to set up a formal face to face interview. Well, one of my references got a call from her yesterday and this reference told me that she has two concerns about me 1)That I won't be able to handle the high-stress environment and 2) That I am only 2 years out of college (even though I'm 25) (I took 5 years instead of 4 to graduate). I've had a pretty good instinctive feeling about things up to this point. I know this what we provide references to potential employers for but I'm just concerned. I know my references would support me and back me up but I just now have somewhat of a bad feeling. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ETA: The reference told me this information, I didn't ask her about the conversation because I know those are supposed to be confidential. I was actually a little offended that the refernce would actually reveal this much, I would of rather not known.
Did you ask this person if she would be your reference? If not, then you can't be too upset.

But if you did and she laid this on you after, then that blows. I mean I would call her up and tell her she was wrong on all counts and that I was disappointed she could ever think that - that there really was no room whatsoever in discussion because she was wrong. Then I would politely ask if I should be prepared to counter questions relating to what she brought up as a result of the reference call.

It's better to get your head out of the sand as soon as you can and "Know".

-Rudey
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Going through an interview process...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Did you ask this person if she would be your reference? If not, then you can't be too upset.

But if you did and she laid this on you after, then that blows. I mean I would call her up and tell her she was wrong on all counts and that I was disappointed she could ever think that - that there really was no room whatsoever in discussion because she was wrong. Then I would politely ask if I should be prepared to counter questions relating to what she brought up as a result of the reference call.

It's better to get your head out of the sand as soon as you can and "Know".

-Rudey
The OP is a little vague, but I think that the INTERVIEWER told the REFERENCE that she had the mentioned concerns about hiring PhiMuLady150. I don't think that the reference said anything doubting the OP.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Going through an interview process...

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
The OP is a little vague, but I think that the INTERVIEWER told the REFERENCE that she had the mentioned concerns about hiring PhiMuLady150. I don't think that the reference said anything doubting the OP.
I apologize for the vaguenes but actually this whole process has been a little vague but CarolineCutie you are correct. Anyways thanks. The above mentioned reference offered to be one when I was leaving the organization that I used to work out.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got an e-mail about about setting up the interview...ekk!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations....so what will you be doing for a paycheck?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Congratulations....so what will you be doing for a paycheck?
Well it's a Publicity firm that while is very small (5 full time people plus dif. people called in for dif. projects) they have national and international clients. I am an administrative assistant but I am expected to absorb and participate in our creative meetings as much as possible. They are really looking to have me grow with the company so they want me to really jump in and participate. It's a great oppurtunity but I am a little nervous because it's unchartered territory for me. But I am very excited!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Congrats! Go you! Sounds like a great opportunity... small companies are often a great place to start because you can get SO much experience, if you know where to look.

Don't forget the "concerns" your interviewer had - go out of your way to prove how wrong s/he was, especially the first few weeks when people are forming first impressions about you.

I always worry about how young I look - I'm 24, but look about 17. I've had interviewers express to me before that they worry I'm not "old" enough for the job (which is great, actually, because it gives me the opportunity to explain why they're wrong by referencing other jobs I've excelled at, relevant experiences, offer personal/professional references etc.) It sounds like your interviewer may have had the same misconceptions about you.

I bet you're in the same situation I am -- where the proof is in the pudding, and after seeing your product and your composure the interviewer won't be able to believe s/he EVER questioned your ability to handle stress!

But it doesn't hurt to go out of your way to prove 'em wrong - for instance, I dress *very* conservatively the first few weeks. No jeans on Fridays if they have a "casual fridays" policy, etc. And when I'm talking to coworkers, I don't talk at all about boyfriends, what I did last weekend, etc. After I've been there for a few weeks I don't worry so much, but it's really hard to change a first impression.