GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,216
1 members and 2,215 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
if she pursues the expansion then I am going to still help out the best I can.
You still don't get it. It isn't up to her. An NPC organization (which includes KKG) can only expand to a campus if the campus Panhel decides that the campus is open for expansion and then is selected to expand there. When the colonization process begins the organization will select its new members.

I wish her the best of luck, but you have the wrong attitude. "Going forward" isn't her decision, unless she is looking outside of the ranks of the NPC.

Last edited by KDCat; 01-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I wish her the best of luck, but you have the wrong attitude. "Going forward" isn't her decision, unless she is looking outside of the ranks of the NPC.
Want to place bets on how long it will take before a post about starting a local pops up?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Want to place bets on how long it will take before a post about starting a local pops up?
Kappa Kappa Rho
Our colors are periwinkle and royal blue, and our symbol is the lock.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
our symbol is the lock.
iChuckled

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

there have been a few interest groups(re: girls who decided they wanted to be an ABC or what have you) at other colleges that decided they wanted to bring a chapter of "ABC" or "DEF" to their campuses, posted information about organizational meetings the girls were going to hold (flyers on campus as well as facebook messages, etc.). once their intentions got back to the campus panhellenic and ABC or DEF headquarters, the interest group got schooled on the proper way a NPC organization colonizes, and the young ladies were instructed NOT to represent themselves by using the object of their desire's name, symbols, colors, traditions, nickname, etc.

and as someone linked in a previous post, you and your friends can find all the information you want on the Kappa website. anything not posted there is not for the uninitiated.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just like to note that IFC chapters may (but not always) get their start as an interest group for a specific fraternity. As such, many NIC/IFC members think this way of colonization may also apply to the NPC.

At Murray State, there have been a number of fairly recent IFC chapters founded (re-colonized as the case may be) from interest groups. And since an NPC chapter has not colonized at Murray State since 1978 (some 34 years), it would not surprise me if his friend – and maybe even current NPC members - thought that this type of expansion was an option for getting a new NPC chapter as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I would just like to note that IFC chapters may (but not always) get their start as an interest group for a specific fraternity. As such, many NIC/IFC members think this way of colonization may also apply to the NPC.

At Murray State, there have been a number of fairly recent IFC chapters founded (re-colonized as the case may be) from interest groups. And since an NPC chapter has not colonized at Murray State since 1978 (some 34 years), it would not surprise me if his friend – and maybe even current NPC members - thought that this type of expansion was an option for getting a new NPC chapter as well.
That makes perfect sense.

I am certain, also, that if a member of this "interest group" was to contact the KKG HQ, a staff member from their extension department would inform her on the proper NPC procedure.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Basically the last two posts were spot on. She started with an interest group because the university said that they wanted to see an interest before pursuing the matter any further.

I DO UNDERSTAND the process with NPC and that KKG may not even come to Murray State. It may be a recolonization of Kappa Delta or Alpha Phi instead. It may lead to nothing. Who knows! I simply posted on here because (and I have repeated this several times) that I was thinking some information and positive input about the sorority would be something cool to redirect to these girls.

Instead it's been mostly a negative response. I am just trying to help, but honestly I don't think I will ever mention this thread ever being started. It has not been helpful.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I DO UNDERSTAND the process with NPC and that KKG may not even come to Murray State. It may be a recolonization of Kappa Delta or Alpha Phi instead. It may lead to nothing. Who knows! I simply posted on here because (and I have repeated this several times) that I was thinking some information and positive input about the sorority would be something cool to redirect to these girls.
So you understand there's a very small chance that KKG will colonize at Murray State, if any group does at all, but you named the thread 'Starting a KKG Chapter' and you're only looking for information about Kappa..?

Oookkkkk...

If you'd just admit that you weren't educated enough about the subject and thank everyone for the info/help, there'd be no need for snarkiness.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's the link to the Kappa Kappa Gamma National web page on extension

http://www.kappakappagamma.org/Conte..._a_Chapter.htm
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Instead it's been mostly a negative response. I am just trying to help, but honestly I don't think I will ever mention this thread ever being started. It has not been helpful.
Not telling you what you want to hear =/= not helpful.

How is telling your friend "information and positive input" about Kappa helpful (or "cool") if it fans false hopes and expectations? Reinforcing to your friend and her interest group how awesome Kappa is just sets them up to be disappointed if a group actually does colonize and it's not Kappa.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Is it the schools Panhellenic or the Dean of Students(/equivalent) who get the final say? Obviously if the school says no extension, it really doesn't matter what the Local Panhellenic does, but has anyone seen a situation where the Dean of Students would like to have additional NPC sororities on campus but the existing NPC chapters have a majority vote against expansion? (and what happens then?)
There are very few situations where Deans of Students want more sororities/fraternities and students don't. That being said, it would behoove any group looking at a campus with that situation to do their homework (i.e. dean is pushing something down students' throats that they don't want) and hopefully make a smart decision (i.e. not touching this campus with a 100 foot pole). This also applies if admin is pushing locals going national/students don't want nationals, etc etc.

dandrew - if you want to be a real friend to your friend, tell her to stop focusing on one group.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I can address this issue the way he wanted to hear it:
Kappa Kappa Gamma is so much better than my sorority that it really is the ONLY sorority that would EVER make sense for expansion to Murray State.
Your friend is WAY too cool for those crappy third world sororities that are already on campus and the fact that they all cut her only proves that they're crappy third world sororities.
If you know that Kappa really stands for Karaoke Always Pleases Probable Anarchists then your chances of talking them into expanding to your school will be greatly improved.
The public colors for Kappa are light and dark blue, but the TRUE colors for Kappa are purple and black leopard print.
They wear self-levitating cat-suits (in purple and black leopard print OF COURSE) for initiation.
My apologies to Kappa for sharing too many secrets, but this guy is so awesome, I was sure it would be ok with you.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think I can address this issue the way he wanted to hear it:
Kappa Kappa Gamma is so much better than my sorority that it really is the ONLY sorority that would EVER make sense for expansion to Murray State.
Your friend is WAY too cool for those crappy third world sororities that are already on campus and the fact that they all cut her only proves that they're crappy third world sororities.
If you know that Kappa really stands for Karaoke Always Pleases Probable Anarchists then your chances of talking them into expanding to your school will be greatly improved.
The public colors for Kappa are light and dark blue, but the TRUE colors for Kappa are purple and black leopard print.
They wear self-levitating cat-suits (in purple and black leopard print OF COURSE) for initiation.

My apologies to Kappa for sharing too many secrets, but this guy is so awesome, I was sure it would be ok with you.
AACK!! We may have to suspend your Panhellenic sisterhood card for letting the cat(suit) out of the bag, DubaiSis.

ETA: He may want to mention to his friend that they have a better shot if they wear pink sequined tights.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Dubai Sis and others: the problem I have with the whole scenario is this. ADPi is already there. And, as we all know, the Violet Velvet Volcano and the whole Hawaii initiation trip has the rest of us a distant second. I got schooled on that fact. Really. I'm not sure why they aren't pursuing Tri Delta, because if Tri Delta was good enough for Chuck, surely those girls would want to be Tri Deltas. (I'm still pissed that he dumped Theta because of a silly little thing like a pansy and then he went with Tri Delta whose flower is - yes - you got it).

(I didn't get the PTITY vibe from this dude (although initially that was a thought, as it frequently will be when someone is so interested in Kappa), I got the seriously misinformed and not willing to listen to information vibe.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity