GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,171
2 members and 2,169 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 10-03-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried but I failed now what...

I am from new york and I tried to start a sorority a while back (because my school didn't have one) and the people who i thought were my friends really wasn't in it for the reasons i was,so know i'm looking to join a sorority that would be exactly what i need and that,my questions are:

1.Is it wrong for me to want to join a sorority now?
2.What should I expect from my first informational,does each sorority have a one way of doing things or are all rush events the same?

I hope someone can help.

Maybe I should say this,I am looking for sisterhood because I am far away from home, and just need true friendship to help me go through my things and feel like I have family around me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

the best answers you will get will be from the greek life office on your campus. stop by or give them a call -they should have answers to all your questions. good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused ... so your school didn't have sororities, therefore you tried to start one. Now you're trying to join a sorority since starting one didn't work out. You're leaving something out here, and I think if you filled in the gap it would help ... is it that since you tried to start a sorority and it flopped, a sorority finally did come to your school, or are you trying to join a sorority as an alumna? Or is it something else entirely?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenadso View Post

Maybe I should say this,I am looking for sisterhood because I am far away from home, and just need true friendship to help me go through my things and feel like I have family around me.
True friendship and sisterhood are possible without sororities. That isn't to say you shouldn't seek to join one if it's what you want, just be aware that GLO's aren't the only source for a family away from home.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Unregistered-

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I'm confused ... so your school didn't have sororities, therefore you tried to start one. Now you're trying to join a sorority since starting one didn't work out. You're leaving something out here, and I think if you filled in the gap it would help ... is it that since you tried to start a sorority and it flopped, a sorority finally did come to your school, or are you trying to join a sorority as an alumna? Or is it something else entirely?
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...5&postcount=11

It's weird because this time last year she says that there weren't any sororities, but then said that there were sororities that were still rushing in "secret" (AGD one of them, which is BS because we've never had a chapter at her school, likewise for some of the other NPCs she mentioned) and now she wants to join a sorority again because DSO didn't work out?

Confusing indeed.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...5&postcount=11

It's weird because this time last year she says that there weren't any sororities, but then said that there were sororities that were still rushing in "secret" (AGD one of them, which is BS because we've never had a chapter at her school, likewise for some of the other NPCs she mentioned) and now she wants to join a sorority again because DSO didn't work out?

Confusing indeed.
Maybe the OP didn't think you would remember that she lied the last time, and now she wants to try again.

I mean, if here school doesn't have any greek life, then there isn't a way that she can join a sorority.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

"Now what" would be to stop lying so you don't get tripped up, think about what it is that you really want, and look around for real possibilities that will help you accomplish it. If you want sisterhood and friendship, but can't start a sorority (you're not the only one who has failed - it's hard work!) then look for another club to get involved with.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well look at that. I fell for it! I guess there are some benefits to sticking around here for years
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly View Post
Well look at that. I fell for it! I guess there are some benefits to sticking around here for years
Or just using the "Find all posts by user" button.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh yeah, good idea. From now on I'll just be immediately suspicious of every thread and every post, just in case.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly View Post
Oh yeah, good idea. From now on I'll just be immediately suspicious of every thread and every post, just in case.
That's the easiest way to not get taken by TEH BATSHITS.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Of course the BS detectors are right. I am actually very familiar with City Tech. First it does have a sorority, Delta Sigma Chi, since 1996. I am friends with a former member and my collegiate chapter has had mixers with their brother fraternity Phi Sigma Chi. Figured you'd be familiar with DSX since your old name was only 1 letter off. Secondly there are no NPC or even NPC-style locals there. There were only 4 NPC chapters in Brooklyn when she made her original post - AEPhi, AXiD and SDT at brooklyn college and Theta Phi Alpha at Pratt.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

If there are no sororities at your school and your efforts to start a sorority did not work out, then there is not a need for a sisterhood at your school. Go to the Office of Student Activities and get a roster of campus organizations. Go to meetings for a few that pique your interest. You will develop friendships and another kind of "sisterhood" through these means.

You can also find this connection in a non-collegiate service group, church sisterhood or youth group, or in a non-collegiate service sorority.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
Theta Phi Alpha at Pratt.
I had no clue that Theta Phi Alpha has a chapter at Pratt...good to know...

Patriae Multae Spes Una