GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,392
2 members and 1,390 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieadah View Post
I'm not going to worry about what everyone thinks about me or my org. I made this post to reach out to other founders, people who care about local groups, and those who want to start one. As long as I'am making the girls who wear my letters happy that's all that matters.
See, the letters don't belong to you. The sorority you helped found is not your personal possession that you rule over. Yes, you started an organization. But what you really were part of is founding something that will continue on as others join and carry it forward. The sorority belongs to ALL of its members, past, current, and future.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

See, this is what people are talking about when they don't want to use GC b/c everyone has a can't-do attitude.

She didn't use perfect english, but I 100% understood what she said. It wasn't illegible babble. Also, their website text is very well worded.

Maybe It's the Detroit-area locals that I know too well, but they've all used the argument that they have a more intimate brother/sisterhood and the smaller financial obligations as high selling points. Hell, SigEp had the lowest men's dues when I was a Freshman and we sold the shit out of that.

I think it's great that OPX started as a local, uniquely designed for Wayne State, but understands that change and growth is great and they're ready for bigger and better without losing sight of their roots.

CTFD
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
See, the letters don't belong to you. The sorority you helped found is not your personal possession that you rule over. Yes, you started an organization. But what you really were part of is founding something that will continue on as others join and carry it forward. The sorority belongs to ALL of its members, past, current, and future.
Yeah thanks xidelt I know that. Just like you call your letters yours I do the same.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
See, this is what people are talking about when they don't want to use GC b/c everyone has a can't-do attitude.

She didn't use perfect english, but I 100% understood what she said. It wasn't illegible babble. Also, their website text is very well worded.

Maybe It's the Detroit-area locals that I know too well, but they've all used the argument that they have a more intimate brother/sisterhood and the smaller financial obligations as high selling points. Hell, SigEp had the lowest men's dues when I was a Freshman and we sold the shit out of that.

I think it's great that OPX started as a local, uniquely designed for Wayne State, but understands that change and growth is great and they're ready for bigger and better without losing sight of their roots.

CTFD
Thanks pshsx1! I feel some people on this site just like to nitpick. To go with your first sentence is greekchat closing I see their trying to gather $7,000. Also, is SigEp from Lawrence tech.?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

Sieadah, ree-Xi had a very good post and you lashed out at her. Perhaps you were on the defense-offense because other posters put you on the defense-offense. You really need to breathe and re-read ree-Xi's post, starting with the question of how a GLO "uniquely" founded to address the needs of a specific school could fit elsewhere. To put this into perspective, many of our GLOs were not founded as locals and were not founded to address the needs of a specific school. We were founded to address the needs of a population that exists at different schools, different cities, and different states (and, for some GLOs, different countries). This makes expansion more apparent because the mission and purpose(s) of the GLOs were never focused on one school.

Quote:
I'm not going to worry about what everyone thinks about me or my org. I made this post to reach out to other founders, people who care about local groups, and those who want to start one. As long as I'am making the girls who wear my letters happy that's all that matters.
I doubt the bolded is the case.

I understand your posts very well and there was nothing Earth shattering about your errors. But it would not hurt to proofread and edit when your message is an introduction to your GLO. The same goes for GLO websites and GLO email communication. The occasional error is not the same as constant errors.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-19-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Sieadah, ree-Xi had a very good post and you lashed out at her. Perhaps you were on the defense-offense because other posters put you on the defense-offense. You really need to breathe and re-read ree-Xi's post, starting with the question of how a GLO "uniquely" founded to address the needs of a specific school could fit elsewhere. To put this into perspective, many of our GLOs were not founded as locals and were not founded to address the needs of a specific school. We were founded to address the needs of a population that exists at different schools, different cities, and different states (and, for some GLOs, different countries). This makes expansion more apparent because the mission and purpose(s) of the GLOs were never focused on one school.

I doubt the bolded is the case.

I understand your posts very well and there was nothing Earth shattering about your errors. But it would not hurt to proofread and edit when your message is an introduction to your GLO. The same goes for GLO websites and GLO email communication. The occasional error is not the same as constant errors.
I didn't lashed out on her. I was letting her know why I said what I said on the site. I thought this form was for local orgs. or people who want to start one. Anyway i'm proud of what I have accomplish and my members.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Why is Pythia banned?

Siedah, I understand what you're saying and totally agree. You know your market and that's great. The problem with expanding is that then you may have to water down your message/focus and then you end up just like every other sorority.

Check out the locals forum on here - there are some posts about wanting to get together in a sort of co-op but still retaining local governance. I think that might be kind of more what you want to do.

Oh and as far as local bashing, yeah maybe she is a little, but it's nothing compared to the local bashing I've seen on here, on school websites, and the internet in general. Yeah there are locals that are nothing but hazing and drinking clubs. There are also chapters of national groups that are nothing but hazing and drinking clubs.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't lashed out on her. I was letting her know why I said what I said on the site.
You did not "let her know," though. I am curious about the answer to ree-Xi's (genuine and not snarky) question. Not because your local GLO isn't awesome and you have something to prove to us. Only because you came to Greekchat to present your local GLO and some of us are respectfully curious.

You type like you speak with a beautiful accent and are perhaps English as a second language. If that's true, that is wonderful and you remind me of some of my colleagues. If that's not true, pardon me.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-19-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why is Pythia banned?

Siedah, I understand what you're saying and totally agree. You know your market and that's great. The problem with expanding is that then you may have to water down your message/focus and then you end up just like every other sorority.

Check out the locals forum on here - there are some posts about wanting to get together in a sort of co-op but still retaining local governance. I think that might be kind of more what you want to do.

Oh and as far as local bashing, yeah maybe she is a little, but it's nothing compared to the local bashing I've seen on here, on school websites, and the internet in general. Yeah there are locals that are nothing but hazing and drinking clubs. There are also chapters of national groups that are nothing but hazing and drinking clubs.
Well, I have faith in the women who are starting the next chapter. Really when you're the founder of anything that's all you can do is teach them the values in which you believe in and founded the org. on and hope they will carry it on. But, I can't let that fear hold us back from growing. I understand your point of view too.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Phil, I did let her know. I quoted her comments one by one within my text and gave her an answer to each one. I'm not seeing a lot of respectful curious.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned

So, the answer you gave ree-Xi and me is the answer you would give someone who was interested in chartering a chapter of your sorority and asks for tips on expanding the unique purpose to schools beyond Wayne State?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hijack

Does anyone know if this gif is from a film or t.v. show? I have a friend who goofs on her own "over the top" politeness and naïveté all the time and this reminded me of her (in a comic way of course).

end of hijack
Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post

Does anyone know if this gif is from a film or t.v. show? I have a friend who goofs on her own "over the top" politeness and naïveté all the time and this reminded me of her (in a comic way of course).

end of hijack
It's from the video Sh!t Sorority Girls Say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW22JWgdr6g

We'll now return to our regularly scheduled confusion.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
It's from the video Sh!t Sorority Girls Say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW22JWgdr6g

We'll now return to our regularly scheduled confusion.
Thank you.