GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,451
2 members and 1,449 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3gpinky<3 View Post
Two more weekends till rush! We got to meet our rho gammas a few times during the last 2 weeks: mine is so sweet! Apparently I got lucky, a few of my friends aren't happy with their rho gammas at all!

So this is going to be one weird rush this year. Basically all the old rules have been thrown out the window. Members don't have to kneel below PNMs, we're allowed to touch, there is absolutely no limit on conversation, etc... Not only can you talk about the Forbidden B's, but the members can also talk about how much they want you back. They're even allowed to explicitly say that we'll be coming back the next day. But some of the sororities will dirty rush to make sure that they make quota. Ugh. We've been warned that dirty rush is, therefore, going to be HUGE and to try and ignore anything the members promise us. Oh, and sororites are allowed to invite back girls with GPAs that are below the limit. I'm still going to stay classy though!

This is beyond frustrating. Any thoughts?
How do you know all this? When I was a PNM, we were told when to show up and what to wear. That was it. I had never heard of the "B's" or cutoff GPAs, etc., until I was a sorority member myself and that was many, many months later when we did a recruitment workshop.

I wouldn't worry about any of these rules. Just show up at the times you are supposed to, follow the dress code, be polite and friendly, and be yourself. If you're shy, work on being a bit more inquisitive and smile a lot. If you're enjoying a chapter tell the sister rushing you that you're having a great time and that you really like XYZ sorority.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi hi hi!

4 days, woot woot! Tonight all actives and PNMs went to a presentation by a speaker. It was fun and informative, and it's making everything start to become real! We get our cute little t-shirts on Friday, our schedules on Saturday (I think ) and who knows when we get our 19 information cards to fill out before bright-n-early Saturday morning?!? YAY!

My hopes are officially up wayyyy too high so I'm going to try and stay calm about this whole she-bang until January (which isn't going to happen but it's the thought that counts.)

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and won't have too much shopping to do this coming weekend so that you can read a new rush thread by little-ol-me! I'll be writing soon!

<3 GPINKY <3
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

yay i cant wait!! good luck pinky
Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
4 days, woot woot! Tonight all actives and PNMs went to a presentation by a speaker. It was fun and informative, and it's making everything start to become real! We get our cute little t-shirts on Friday, our schedules on Saturday (I think ) and who knows when we get our 19 information cards to fill out before bright-n-early Saturday morning?!? YAY!

My hopes are officially up wayyyy too high so I'm going to try and stay calm about this whole she-bang until January (which isn't going to happen but it's the thought that counts.)

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and won't have too much shopping to do this coming weekend so that you can read a new rush thread by little-ol-me! I'll be writing soon!

<3 GPINKY <3
So excited for you! Can't wait to hear your story...I'll be looking for a post Saturday! <3
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Have fun! All the houses at IU are amazing - it's worth it just to get to go in and see what they look like on the inside.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

1700 is a TON of girls! Is this the second rush of the year or do they only have one rush? How large are the chapters and how many sororities?
I don't think I would have rushed if I was required to live in the house.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufdale View Post
1700 is a TON of girls! Is this the second rush of the year or do they only have one rush? How large are the chapters and how many sororities?
I don't think I would have rushed if I was required to live in the house.
IU has defered recruitment which has one round - an open house - in the fall. This is followed by invitational rounds the week before the spring term starts.

Here's a link to the 2003 report of GPA and membership numbers.

http://www.indiana.edu/~sao/greek/re...spring2003.pdf
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM

I'm confused. Chapters do not have live-out policies?

Does that mean every girl is expected to live in the house EVERY YEAR?

So that means you can only take enough girls to fill your house, right? If I'm right, then yeah that does make for an interesting recruitment.

Our live in policy was not that strict (all the chapters at my school have one year requirements), so this is really interesting to me.

Best of luck to you pinky!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-01-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I decided to make a quick post so that tomorrow night I don't have to spend time typing up this information when I report to you all. As most of you know, IU has 19 sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

I decided to pay tribute to some of my favorite past and present names from Crayola crayons! Here's the list, which will be later jumbled:

Atomic tangerine
Banana mania
Bittersweet
Burnt sienna
Cerise
Cerulean
Fuzzy wuzzy brown
Granny smith apple
Jazzberry jam
Laser lemon
Mac-n-cheese
Mango tango
Mauvelous
Mulberry
Prussian blue
Purple mountain’s majesty
Razzmatazz
Shamrock
Wild Watermelon

Here's my schedule for tomorrow:

11:00-11:30 Fuzzy wuzzy brown
11:50-12:20 Jazzberry jam
12:40-1:10 Laser lemon
1:30-2:00 Purple mountain’s majesty
2:20-2:50 Mango tango
2:50 Lunch
5:00-5:30 Granny smith apple
5:50-6:20 Mac-n-cheese
6:40-7:10 Burnt sienna
7:30-8:00 Banana mania
8:20-8:50 Bittersweet

Okay, I'm off. I just finished making my cards with pics and all my info. I have some more work to do before I have to be up in 8 hours. I'm going to try to get some sleep tonight!

P.S. We've had a few more meetings in the last few days, and I have my shirt and nametag and everything...I'm just about ready! Wish me luck and I'll try to post as soon as I can tomorrow night!

<3gpinky<3
Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
<hijack>
What's interesting about that report: The number of members of the NPC sororities doesn't vary that much, ranging from 102 members (ADPi) to 168 members (AOPi). The numbers of members in the IFC fraternities, however, varies pretty wildly: the smallest has 17 members (KDRho), and the largest has 174 members (Sigma Pi). Only 8 of the fraternities have over 100 members!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey! I decided to make a quick post so that tomorrow night I don't have to spend time typing up this information when I report to you all. As most of you know, IU has 19 sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

I decided to pay tribute to some of my favorite past and present names from Crayola crayons! Here's the list, which will be later jumbled:

Atomic tangerine
Banana mania
Bittersweet
Burnt sienna
Cerise
Cerulean
Fuzzy wuzzy brown
Granny smith apple
Jazzberry jam
Laser lemon
Mac-n-cheese
Mango tango
Mauvelous
Mulberry
Prussian blue
Razzmatazz
Shamrock
Wild Watermelon

Here's my schedule for tomorrow:

11:00-11:30 Fuzzy wuzzy brown
11:50-12:20 Jazzberry jam
12:40-1:10 Laser lemon
1:30-2:00 Purple mountain’s majesty
2:20-2:50 Mango tango
2:50 Lunch
5:00-5:30 Granny smith apple
5:50-6:20 Mac-n-cheese
6:40-7:10 Burnt sienna
7:30-8:00 Banana mania
8:20-8:50 Bittersweet

Okay, I'm off. I just finished making my cards with pics and all my info. I have some more work to do before I have to be up in 8 hours. I'm going to try to get some sleep tonight!

P.S. We've had a few more meetings in the last few days, and I have my shirt and nametag and everything...I'm just about ready! Wish me luck and I'll try to post as soon as I can tomorrow night!

<3gpinky<3
thats quite a list..but all of them are great!! I love ur codenames, very creative i think im gonna cheer for laser lemon for now!!

im really excited for your story pinky, i think we have all waited so long for this!! lots of luck and HAVE FUN!!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Suprised no one else has mentioned this, but IU has some absolutely GORGEOUS houses. They are truly stunning.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Pinky:

I just wanted to say good luck! I live in IN so I know several girls who are Greek at IU and everyone of them is happy with their house. As always...keep that open mind and trust that as you go through in January that both you and the houses are making the right decisions to find the best fit for both of you.

Please keep us posted...I'd love to see you wind up in a house where I know girls!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Day One!

Oh. My. Word. What a day! It was absolutely gorgeous and sunny outside, but it was below freezing (by the end of the night it was 29 degrees!) So I practically ran home and took a long hot shower and made some hot chocolate, which I am enjoying as I type this.

By 10:15 this morning, the campus looked like a scene from a movie: there were over a thousand girls on all the streets wearing jeans and black recruitment t-shirts and nametags. Each rho gamma made a felt nametag for their pnms and they're so cute! Here are some examples: Stewie from Family Guy, the Victoria's Secret PINK dog, the Chanel symbol, 3-d airplanes, tiaras with jewels, Elmo, sombreros, and even one in the shape of an Ugg boot!

We aren't paired with our normal rho gammas during house tours; instead, each group gets 3 or 4 rho gammas who take role and have their "mommy backpacks" with everything you could possibly need in them! All the rho gammas have white sweatshirts and the sorority members have red shirts that are the same as ours on the back, except they have the name of their sorority on the front.

Before I talk about individual houses, here's what happened generically at each house: we're put into two lines, pushed into the door, and scream our name into the ear of the girl at the door. She pairs us up with the member in line behind her and we immediately give our card and we’re taken on either a house tour or we sit down for our conversations. Because some of the houses have to double and triple rush, I’m going to just say multi-rush, because it’s pretty easy to tell which houses are ones that triple rushes if you went to IU. After we left each house, we all scribbled quick notes on little note cards attached to a big ring that our rho gamma made for us.

I am so glad how today went: every sorority acted as if the Panhellenic rules weren’t thrown out the window. They knelt down as we talked to them. When it came time to rotate, the member replacing the one we were talking to would say, “Hi ###, can I meet your guests?” Then the member would introduce us and give the other girl a quick update on what we were last talking about. Then she would say “Good luck with the rest of recruitment!” At the very end, our member would walk us out to the curb and say goodbye. It was very classy and organized, and I was very impressed.

So here’s what you really want to hear: the down and dirty about the houses! I wish I could describe the houses to you. So many of then are AMAZING! I’m talking take-your-breath-away beautiful.

At exactly 11:00 I was talking with some girls from my group when all of a sudden there was screaming and banging on the windows and doors! The lights were going on and off and the curtains were opening and closing, too. Then the doors burst open and all the girls are at the front of the door screaming with their hands in the air. They do this for a good minute before breaking into their song and we're pushed into the door. It was the weirdest, funniest, and coolest thing, and they do this at every house!!!

My first house was fuzzy wuzzy brown. This was a multi-rush and even though the girls are nice, I felt uncomfortable and awkward when I left. There were big silences that kept trying to get filled with “so any more questions?” I didn’t feel any flow there, it just felt forced.

Next was Jazzberry jam. I already had preconceptions about this one that I left at the door. These girls were very enthusiastic when singing there song and cheering. This was a single rush and I had a good conversation with one girl, and two great conversations with two others. Their house is absolutely stunning! I really liked this house and was feeling much better about rush, since I was worried after the first house.

Laser lemon was another house I had heard about. It was also a single rush and I had good conversations with all the girls I talked too. This was a drink party, which was great because by now I was really thirsty! They also have a beautiful house. The girls here are very close. I left feeling pretty good about this one.

Purple mountain’s majesty was a pleasant surprise. I had a great talk with all the girls, especially one of them. We were supposed to be talking about the rooms during the tour but instead we were just talking about everything else! This was the first house where we were shocked when it came time to rotate members because we were having such a good convo! The girls love their philanthropy and are very sweet. I really liked this house a lot.

Mango tango had a gorgeous house and I talked to many, many girls, but I felt that they weren’t very sincere. I also had an awkward conversation where I felt like I was rushing the member because she just wouldn’t talk! I didn’t particularly care for this house, not nearly as much as the last house.

Ohhh Granny smith apple! They are so happy and enthusiastic! This was a multi-rush where I talked to a ton of girls. Because we talked to more girls than normal, and because it was a multi-rush, there wasn’t a lot of time to talk about anything past the introductory name, age, major, hometown speech. But I still felt very comfortable here, and the house tour was great because they too have a gorgeous house. I really liked this house.

Then I was on to mac-n-cheese. I just could not connect with any of the girls, and the house tour wasn’t nearly as nice as others. The members talked a lot about themselves instead of trying to get to me. This was also a multi-rush. It also felt much longer than the others and there were awkward breaks in the conversations, which wasn’t comfortable.

Burnt sienna was a huge surprise. I didn’t know anything about this house, which is so pretty! I talked with three girls and every single one we kept the conversation going until the very last second! We didn’t want to stop when the next girl came in to take the member’s place! Time flew by so fast here, and I didn’t want to leave at all! This was also a drink party and I was having such a good time that I only took one sip of my water! Then when I was leaving with the third girl, the other two girls saw me in the hall way and stopped their cheering to say good bye to me. This was my absolute favorite of the whole day!!!

The second to last house was Banana mania. I had a single rush here like the last house. These girls are so tight and absolutely love their house, which is so great. I talked to two girls here and felt like the convos were good. I felt good about this house, but I must admit I was still in awe over Burnt Sienna when coming here.

Ironic that the last house of the night was Bittersweet. That’s how we felt, glad that the day was over because it was so cold, but we still wanted to see more of the houses! I didn’t feel comfortable here at all. The girls are all very supportive of their sorority, but I just didn’t feel like I could be a part of this house. When I talked to the members it got awkward, and many of the girls would start talking about things like drinking by the third question!

Because we have barely any time tomorrow night to rank all 19 houses, we have to rank tonight’s houses, then fit in the others tomorrow before meeting with our rho gammas. Here’s my ranking:

Burnt sienna
Granny smith apple
Jazzberry jam
Laser lemon
Banana Mania
Mango tango
Fuzzy wuzzy brown
Mac-n-cheese
Bittersweet

I'm so glad how today went. Even though I didn't care for some houses, I really wouldn't mind going back to them for 12 party and giving them another chance. I can't believe I would like as many houses as I do, and this is only day one! Alrighty, I am going to go to sleep because I am so cold and exhausted and we have to get up bright and early tomorrow! Here’s my schedule:

10:00-10:30 Wild watermelon
10:50-11:20 Prussian blue
11:40-12:10 Atomic tangerine
12:30-1:00 Cerulean
12:20-1:50 Mauvelous
1:50 Lunch
4:00-4:30 Razzmatazz
4:50-5:20 Shamrock
5:40-6:10 Mulberry
6:30-7:00 Cerise

Thanks for helping me organize all my thoughts on here and cheering me on! Can’t wait to write about tomorrow!

Oh, and sorry this is the longest post in GC existance!

Last edited by <3gpinky<3; 12-06-2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: The font was driving me crazy! :)
Old 12-03-2006, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you had so much fun! That is as it should be. You did a great job with your post too. Have fun on Sunday!