GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,365
0 members and 1,365 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTurtle11 View Post
(2) As they told me part of the problem was that nationals came in and tried to change recruitment to match nationals and not Ole Miss. I never really knew what they meant by that and if that was totally true, but that is how it was relayed to me for several years. I'm sure there were several other reasons, but I thought I would throw in my two cents from women who were there at the time.
That sounds odd to me, as I always think of ADPi as a "southern" sorority. I would think they would understand Ole Miss culture, or at least understand that they had to understand it.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTurtle11 View Post
I don't usually post, but do read the threads. I couldn't help but throw out the information that I know. I went to Ole Miss and two of my girlfriends were ADPi's when it all went down. There are two things here I thought I would point out because I doubt anyone would know.

(1) Yes, the house was a big problem. What's worse is that the pictures you see of it now is from the intended back side. As I was told by them when ADPi build that house the University was planning on starting a second Sorority Row so they built the house to face the "new" sorority row. I'm not even sure I've stopped and looked at it from the front, but that is why it does have a strange look. Of course I think either way the style doesn't match, but the view is technically backwards.

(2) As they told me part of the problem was that nationals came in and tried to change recruitment to match nationals and not Ole Miss. I never really knew what they meant by that and if that was totally true, but that is how it was relayed to me for several years. I'm sure there were several other reasons, but I thought I would throw in my two cents from women who were there at the time.

Hope you don't mind the crash, but I couldn't help but try to at least tell what I've been told by women who were there.
Someone who is a recent alumna initiate and was never a Greek at the school should not be telling tales based on second hand rumors to a public message board.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Someone who is a recent alumna initiate and was never a Greek at the school should not be telling tales based on second hand rumors to a public message board.
Actually, I find the detail about the back of the house to be very relevant to the conversation.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM

I am glad Ole Miss is finally open. My experience with AOII's expansion at Arkansas makes me confident that these schools with formerly impenetrable Greek systems are finally able to be expanded successfully. I look at the recent successes of new groups at Arkansas, Alabama, and South Carolina. One of the reasons the need is SO great at these schools (quotas near or exceeding 100) is that there are more young women attending college, and many of these women are not affected by the "OMG at Arkansas you have to be a XYZ or die" mentality. I know at Arkansas, so many PNMs were the first in their famillies to attend college, had little or no knowledge of the Greek process, and therefore were not as swayed by the historical prowess of certain chapters. There are plenty of well-qualified PNMs who I believe WILL give a new group a chance. Yes, it is risky business to build an expensive house, but the need is so clearly demonstrated that I actually find it less risky than expansion at some other schools where Greek life isn't as prominent and the quotas aren't so high. (For example, AOII is currently colonizing at Oklahoma State where we need to build a house, and quotas have been in the mid 60s recently. That is much riskier than trying to fill a house at Arkansas where quota was 131 last year.)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Any "former" sorority houses will not be used if a new group does colonize. The new groups will most likely have to build new structures. Now where that land might be is yet to be known.

I am sure all NPC groups who submit packets know that to be competitive they must build a competitive house. The Greek Community is ready to support a new group and I am excited to see where this process takes the Panhellenic Family.

Also, like IrishPipes said, AOII and Pi Phi houses use to be very non-Southern. AOII added the columns and front entrance area in the 1980s, then the most recent addition around 2006-2007. Pi Phi redid their house with the beautiful new front with columns around 2006.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The honors college/ex ADPi house isn't attractive at all (reminds me of the fraternity quad at Carnegie-Mellon) but the columns bore me to tears. They all look alike to me.
I wonder if the architect was from AZ. Seriously! That structure would not raise any eyebrows here.

It is interesting (to me at least) how much geographical location affects style. I need to go photograph the various facilities at UofA and then post them. I will put that on the to-do list (which now rivals the length of the Federal Budget in terms of things needing my attention).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
It is interesting (to me at least) how much geographical location affects style.
Is it geography, though, or age? Are the houses in the SW states as old?

Illinois has a weird thing where everyone put on an addition in the 60's, so there are lots of timeless houses with some weird box slapped on the side.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Actually, I find the detail about the back of the house to be very relevant to the conversation.
It's based on rumor and conjecture. She wasn't there. She doesn't know.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
It's based on rumor and conjecture. She wasn't there. She doesn't know.
Are you really kidding me? Because I'm an AI then apparently I was completely blind and deaf to anything that happened at MY university? So if someone was a Chi O from Ole Miss in 2005 and said the same thing would you question them? Give me a break! I stated everything honestly and why in the world would it matter if this is a public forum? I didn't say I had facts; I said what was told to me by two of my friends WHO WERE ADPI's at Ole Miss at the time it happened.

Do you know how this story was told to me? I asked her why they closed. She told me all this AS SHE WAS GIVING ME A TOUR OF THE HOUSE. It was then the honors college, but she showed me where the chapter room had been, was reminiscing with different stories, and was generally sharing all of it with me. Later we were out for drinks when our other friend joined and we told her what we did that afternoon and more was discussed. It wasn't like it was some big secret or that what I said was scandalous or hurtful.

You have no idea what I do or don't know, but I thought I'd share something I was told by a sister of that chapter. I also stated that I didn't know how true or what she meant by it but those were her words to me.
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Seeing the ADPi house brought back all the bad memories of my experience with our chapter closing. We had a modern house designed by a protege of Frank Lloyd Wright. (But much better looking that that big mistake.) Most of the sorority houses at MSU were the traditional sorority house in varying degrees. Our house was a huge negative. We were in a great location on sorority row, but it didn't matter.

We received tons of help from the national level and I do think they did everything they could. But the combination of a non-competitive house/building on a heavily tiered, non-Panhellenic campus was simply too much to overcome.

It's amazing that twenty years later as soon as I saw that ADPi picture, my stomach lurched. I had no doubts why they closed.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies,

I'm hoping you can help me out. My oldest daughter will be starting her freshman year at Ole Miss this fall. From our visits to Ole Miss and what I've heard, the recruitment process there is very intense. She has already started lining up her Letters of Rec from most of the sororities on campus and hopefully we will have the others located and in by the Aug. 1st deadline.

I guess we just really would like to have some input/advice from those that have gone through recruitment at Ole Miss.

BTW...I was reading on this thread about Ole Miss being open for expansion...I contacted my DZ National Headquarters earlier this week to see if they could give me any insight on the possibility of a DZ recolonization there. She said she does not believe that any sorority has been formally invited yet, but I got the impression that she was hopeful for a DZ chapter.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss

I believe that they are still in the "send in a packet if you are interested" stage. I was at Ole Miss that past weekend doing a recruitment workshop, and my local advisers told me that interested groups will probably do their first on-site visits over the summer.The presentations will be in the fall. Thus a vote will follow for the extension group to come on campus either spring or fall 2013.

I don't know if they will be doing a stacked extension, but word is that space to build 3 new houses has been researched and located.

Right now they are thinking that over 1500 women will sign up for recruitment...and there are only 9 NPC groups on this campus! Crazy!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This is going to be a tough one for you. You may know by this fall (but my guess is probably not) if DZ will be coming onto campus, or if 1 or more other sororities will, but I bet you she's going to have to go through rush and decide if she wants to go through to pledging or take her chances and drop out in favor of the colony/ies. The colonies there will be EXTREMELY competitive, and if she loses out, rushing again as a sophomore wouldn't exactly be a walk in the park. Good luck to you and your daughter!

/eta - I phrased that wrong. You may well know who's coming on campus by fall, but I don't know that their colony recruitments will closely follow rush.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 04-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

From what the Alumni newsletter said they will not decide until after recruitment 2012. Being a DZ myself I secretly hope we decide to throw our hat in the ring, but it is SOOOOO costly that I'm sure Headquarters will be doing a LOT of thinking on this one. It will be interesting to see who/who all eventually gets the spot(s). It was mentioned that 3 spots for houses were being opened, so I'm just guessing they may be doing a stacked expansion or just be planning a long term of 3 new sororities. Gees, who really knows. It's all conjecture and speculation.
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter quickly decided that she does NOT want to wait to see DZ is recolonized. She definitely wants to go through sorority recruitment this fall.

We could use some suggestions on getting recs. After going through most everyone we know, we have found alums to do recs for Tri-Delta, Phi Mu, Chi Omega, KKG, and Pi Beta Phi. My closest metro area is Tidewater/Hampton Roads, Virginia and that panhellenic alum chapter is closed. Can y'all help direct us to some other options? THANK YOU!!!