GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,482
1 members and 1,481 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 11-01-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority expansion at Washington University-St. Louis

The Extension Committee of the Women's Panhellenic Council has narrowed its search to bring a new sorority to campus to three potential organizations. Kappa Delta, Zeta Tau Alpha, and Chi Omega have been invited to campus for the week of Nov. 18. Their visit will include meetings with WU administration, a meeting with the leadership of the Greek community, and an open presentation, which will be open to the entire campus. The goal of the Extension Committee is to find a sorority that can fill a niche on campus, and the hope with this visit is to further narrow down the number, until the committee ultimately makes its decision.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh how exciting for Washington University!!! All three are OUTSTANING groups with their own unique sisterhoods to offer the women of WU and your campus would be lucky with any of them Most definitely keep us updated on the situation!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Great News!!!!
Keep us updated please.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The current NPC sororities are Kappa, AEPhi, Alpha Phi, DG, and PiPhi. The Theta chapter closed about 2 years ago and the AChiO chapter about 5 years before that.

There's also a small local sorority, Mu Phi Gamma, and the NPHC sororities Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Greekgrrl,

Congratulations on expansion!! It is wonderful when any school is able to increase the opportunity for women to be a part of something that has impacted all of us. They are all fabulous organizations. Ask great questions, and have fun! This is an awesome experience for any Greek community.

Are you on the Panhelleic Exec or a chapter delegate? Please share a little more about your campus. How many sororities do you have? When is recruitment? What ever else you want to share. I love this stuff! Keep us infomed!! Best of luck!!

ValpoKD
Old 11-01-2002, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

How great! Those will be some lucky girls! Wash-U has an outstanding fraternity system.

Greekgrrl, how did I miss about you going to wash-u?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 11-01-2002 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Great selection!

Those are 3 great sororities! Best of luck with the expansion!
Old 11-04-2002, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

For further info, WU has formal recruitment at the beginning of Spring semester. I don't know yet whether the new group will be decided on in time for this year's recruitment.

Also, I know that if Zeta came it would be a recolonization (their Beta Chi chapter I believe?) but I don't believe either KD or ChiO have ever been at WU before.

Greekgrrl
Old 11-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by Greekgrrl
For further info, WU has formal recruitment at the beginning of Spring semester. I don't know yet whether the new group will be decided on in time for this year's recruitment.

Also, I know that if Zeta came it would be a recolonization (their Beta Chi chapter I believe?) but I don't believe either KD or ChiO have ever been at WU before.

Greekgrrl
Yes, our Beta Chi chapter was chartered on October 31, 1931. I don't know when the chapter closed, but I think there would a lot of alumnae support for another St. Louis collegian chapter!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greekgrrl
The current NPC sororities are Kappa, AEPhi, Alpha Phi, DG, and PiPhi. The Theta chapter closed about 2 years ago and the AChiO chapter about 5 years before that.
Expansion is exciting and the three nationals sound great. But I wish Alpha Chi Omega would have some presence in the St. Louis area (where I am from.) Its sad that the chapter closed.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Wash U

The really incredible thing is that 16 of the 26 NPC groups submitted packets in response to this Expansion opprtunity. Since there is already 5 groups at Wash U that means that only 5 of the 26 did not submit materials. This goes to show how incredible the opportunity is perceived to be by so many of our NPC groups. Congrats to those selected to present!!

Denise_DPhiE
Director of Expansion
Delta Phi Epsilon
Old 11-05-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting! All of the groups are great, and I'm sure that any one of them will be a wonderful addition! Is there a reason why they are not going to re-charter one of the closed chapters?
Old 11-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
How exciting! All of the groups are great, and I'm sure that any one of them will be a wonderful addition! Is there a reason why they are not going to re-charter one of the closed chapters?
It's probably too soon after the Theta closure - there are (probably) still members of the closed chapter on the campus. Usually groups like to wait 5-6 years before rechartering to make sure that none of the members of the former chapter would be involved except as alumnae.

AChiO could have submitted a request for consideration and it was denied, there's no way of knowing if that's true or not.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Well word on the street from a (as yet anonymous, I'm trying to track it down) Panhel source is that ZTA is out of the running, so it's between KD and ChiO for the open spot.

No news yet on whether the group will be participating in formal rush in January, but it's probably a safe bet that they will.

As soon as there's more info, I'll post!

Panhellenically,
Greekgrrl
Old 12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the update!

I'm excited that KD's in the running! As much as I would love to see another KD expansion, i know that the campus can't go wrong with either group! Please let us know the moment you have more info!!!!!!!
Did they make their presentations yet?