GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,283
0 members and 2,283 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

10,000 Cans - Please Help

So I am in charge of philanthropy for my chapter. Our philanthropy is the North American Food Drive. My goal is to raise 10,000 cans of food this year. Can you please give me any ideas on a way to collect a lot of cans. Thanks

LXA RULES!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Place large collection boxes in local grocery stores, the public libraries and anywhere on campus you're allowed (student union, cafeterias, libraries, dorms, etc.).
Run drives through your members' churches.
Ask your parents and relatives to collect at work and through any organizations they're involved in.
If people don't want/have cans of food to give, take $$ donations and go to Sam's Club or Costco or any other big box store and buy in bulk.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXAfall07 View Post
So I am in charge of philanthropy for my chapter. Our philanthropy is the North American Food Drive. My goal is to raise 10,000 cans of food this year. Can you please give me any ideas on a way to collect a lot of cans. Thanks

LXA RULES!
Make it a competition among the sororities on your campus. That was always very successful on my campus. Either have a special party for the winners, or offer up something interesting. For instance, LXA's on my campus offered up the services of about a half dozen of their brothers to clean the winning sorority's suite from top to bottom. That was well worth it!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

YOUR POST,S OFFICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXAfall07 View Post

LXA RULES!
quote= your posts office.

your posts office could help you .
with that .
keep on.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisiglindsey
In addition to Phi Sig, I'm also in Psi Chi, which is a psychology honors group. We did a campus wide can drive last semester. We placed boxes ALLLLLLL over campus. Almost everywhere you went there was a box. Get it approved throughout your school, and ask if you can put boxes in various locations. Then put flyers throughout campus informing students of where boxes are located. We did the drive 3 times during last semester and we had SOOO many cans.

Also, stores around here we willing to donate cans to help us out so be sure to ask all of your local grocery stores.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the OP's event is long over, but this sounds like a good thing to contact a local radio station's morning show about. Get them interested and they'll announce it on the radio constantly in the days and weeks leading up to the can drive. Plus, if they get excited enough about it, they'll show up with a van, a tent, free stuff to give away to people who stop... they might broadcast live from the event...

Something one of the Houston morning shows used to do was "fill the bus." They'd get the public bus authority to send an empty bus to the event and they'd challenge listeners to help them fill the bus with non-perishable food items. Check with a school district, a fire station, a local car dealership... maybe somebody could send out some kind of vehicle to get "filled up." Heck, get a campus delivery van.

To thank any outside entities for their participation, give them a nice "thank-you" plaque, maybe with a photo of the chapter on it, and make sure a blurb is printed in the campus newspaper.

10,000 cans is a lot of cans, but with a little effective networking and some follow-up, it can get done.